Mavis 2000 Review

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Destricto_Ense, Mar 1, 2009.

1. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    The discussion was about improvements in plastic shuttles (mav 2000 remember :) ) which have been minimal the last 50 years..If we want to discuss improvements of goose feather shuttles today and trough history I think this is suitable to another thread..

I do not agree with your analogy. the syntetic strings can be strung harder and provide more power/control than natural gut strings can provide (if it was just a durability issue all pros would use natural gut and have 10 rackets per match ready strung)..

A more valid comparison is if we made a 0.80 super durable string that last for years before it breaks, but have extremely bad performance/repulsion.. It could still be 2 our of 3 (more durable and more consistntly (bad), but worse performance, 2 out of 3).. The "consistency and durability" would NOT offset the lack of performance.. Durability is utterly useless if the perforamncce isn't acceptable.. which is a prereq imop before anything else..

I sincerely doubt there would be a significant shift to plastic if prices where dropped.. If economics where the "only" factor and people does not care about performance they buy plastics over feathers even without a price-drop. just like people buy graphite rackets instead of sttel rackets based on performance, not economics..

#81 twobeer, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  2. hunterkillerz

hunterkillerz Regular Member

Student
    I'd have to say I'd agree with cooler. Sure pros and perhaps badminton clubs will play with feather, but most people would play with mavis or even consider playing with it. It may not be the same story in Asia, but in North America, mavis would be a huge hit since it's already being used by a lot of people here. Sad to say, but the world is still run by the flow of money.

3. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    My crystal ball clouded over lately LOL. Que sera......sera

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Originally Posted by twobeer
    I sincerely doubt there would be a significant shift to plastic if prices where dropped.. If economics where the "only" factor and people does not care about performance they buy plastics over feathers even without a price-drop. just like people buy graphite rackets instead of sttel rackets based on performance, not economics..

Thanks hunterkillerz.
    Everything has a price and every individual has their price point.
    People now commonly buy graphite rackets because the cost of manufacturing (price point) had dropped to the point it is affordable to almost all players.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    this question is which came first.
    People accepted nylon strings because it allowed high tension (+25 lbs) which gut could not provide +25 lbs tension with reasonable duration. IF the gut string could give +25 lbs tension with reasonable durability, i am very sure its performance would exceed the performance of bg66 or ngy98 at similar high tension. IE, it was the durability factor of synthetic strings at high tension that boosted its performance or i mean, make up for the lack of performance. IF u compare 'performance only factor' of gut vs nylon strings at the same tension and disregard durability factor, gut outperform nylon strings. Yet, it is durability (ie pricing value) that made people switched to nylon strings.

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    :D
    It is simply an irrellevant comparison if natural-gut strings performs better at 20lbs than bg80 at 20lbs.. The relevant comparison is what is the performance given the strings are strung at their maximal tension than can be used in practice in competitions..

This would be kind of like to compare which racket graphite-shaft would produce the "fastest" drop shot :mad: :p

I am pretty sure some pros would use natural gut if the performance was superior, as they can easilyy have 5 rackets restrung and ready for each match..

You yourself has on other occasions (discussing F1 etc) correctly pointed out that at high-end, durability is not the prime factor...

cheers,
    Twobeer

7. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Never really used plastic shuttles much before, so I guess I won't be able to make any very useful comparisons.
    Anyway, my club just bought a whole load of Mavis 2000s to see if they're really *that* bad.

IMO, they really are.
    Hits don't sound or feel "crisp" - you just get kind of a dull thud.
    They're also far too slow - "medium" speed M2000s are much slower than even 77 speed feathers (78 usually being the appropriate speed for where we play).
    We all noticed our clears taking more effort, smashes being slower, and low serves often falling short. You don't get the same feel on netshots either.

I'd take even the cheapest feathers ahead of these - eg. We use some <£9 Kason feathers at another place I play.

8. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Hope oneday plastic shuttle will be able to replace feather because SHUTTLE is starting to get real expensive in MSIA...

average about RM55 a tube...

9. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

So what's the latest on this score??

10. visor

visor Regular Member

It's probably the best plastic shuttle on the market currently. Closest to good feather in terms of trajectory. Although not as dull feeling as previous generation but still not as crisp as feathers. I would put it as 3 parts Mavis 300 and 1 part good feather. If yonex can somehow improve the feel then perhaps we can get closer to feather.

11. logicalguy

Thanks, visor, for the update.

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

The thing I really hate about plastic shuttles above everything is the feeling upon impact with the racket, it just feels really bad, if they could replicate the feel of a feather shuttle, then I reckon more people would use them for training. Where possible I always use feathers.

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Can anybody compare the speed of these things to the equivalent M300? We use mediums. Also, have the M2000 appeared in yellow in UK yet? Our club is going to give them a try pretty soon, we think:).

14. visor

visor Regular Member

M2000 are a little bit like feather in speed such that it'll come off the strings fast but decelerate quickly. So a lot of those clears with M300 that would go out will fall in with the M2000. Comparing medium to medium speeds of course. Drops are similarly steeper trajectory with M2000 compared to M300.

15. logicalguy

I spent hours looking for yellow ones to buy online, but didn't find any. So I answer would be no, afaik.

16. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    My M2000 heads broke very quickly. First they start turning and then they just come off.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Supposedly the white ones have been discontinued by YY as they don't last as long as the yellows, so I'm told by the store owner.

Yikes, you guys must be really hitting them hard to decapitate them so quickly. :eek:

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

M2000 (med) review

We tried some of these last week, and I was pleasantly surprised by them. The flight characteristics are definitely more feather-like - a number of smashes that came at me rocketed off the other guys' rackets but slowed down enough for me to do something constructive with them. The brakes coming on was very noticeable.

The mediums play slightly faster than the equivalent M300 to begin with, but they slow down gradually as they're hit and end up roughly commensurate. Durability is very good indeed - we smacked one around for a good two hours and there was still no "ellipticity" of the skirt - I think the new lift ring helps bolster things up. The only fly in the ointment was that the pointy feather "tips" tend to break off, and this led to one very amusing smash where the skirt got tangled - the shuttle made a 45 degree upward turn in mid-air and ended up flying a good three feet out the back.

In short, a significant improvement over the 300 in every possible way IMHO.

19. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

might be an improvement, but still lack the feel of a feather shuttle, if they could incorporate "feel" into the shuttle, then they might be onto a better shuttle.:)

20. visor

visor Regular Member

^^Anything with better feel would have to be made with a harder plastic which unfortunately will be more brittle and break easily. Thus making it not much more economical than feathers.