Yonex Mavis 350 / Mavis 500 Plastic Shuttles

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by geekbits, Sep 27, 2012.

1. geekbits

geekbits Regular Member

Hi all !

I came to know about Yonex Mavis 500 and also about Yonex 350. I heard that Yonex Mavis 500 plastic shuttles almost matches the accuracy of feather shuttle. Do we have any feedback on this ?

Thanks

2. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I don't know about the 500 but the 350 is really nowhere near a real feather. I use the Mavis 2000 and from what I hear nothing is as close to feather as the 2000's are. The 2000's are still a bit off cause you really can replicate a feather with synthetic materials but its damn close.

3. phili

phili Regular Member

Back in my junior days we played with the Mavis 500 and it was nowhere near a feather shuttle. I don't know if it is better nowadays but from my experience nothing matches a real feather shuttle.

4. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Mavis 2000 is THE PLASTIC bird to go far ... it is as close as you can get to real feathers, some even dare to put it as close to Aerosensa 30 in terms of flight, timing and consistency :eek:!!

I use Mavis 2000 for practice and training the kids but real feathers for play/game.

The only downside with Mavis 2000 (IMHO) is when you play drop shots and smashes ... lack the "feel" of real feathers ....

5. decoy

decoy Regular Member

@maxout the cork on Mavis 2000 is still different then feathers isn't it? So that's probably why it feels different. It still has that warping effect too so when you smash it hard it kind of wobbles/moves around in the air

6. maxout

maxout Regular Member

For BIG HITTERS and SMASHERS, yes, the difference is more pronounced as the bird will zip like "on steroids" ;). Basically, if you smash hard, SURE WINNER ... (maybe that is PLUS POINT instead of neagtive !)

For stroke and rally players, almost like feather, Mavis 2000 uses natural cork just like normal shuttle. From my untrained non-technical eyes, I think the difference in "feel" (not flight, timing or consistency) from what I can see is how the skirt is attached to the cork compared to indvidual feather being glued to the cork ... hence, when you whacked the birdy, you get a different "FEEL" ...

NOTE: Yonex emphasised that Mavis 2000's (or other Mavis for that matter) flight, timing and consistency is as close to real feathers ... that is VERY TRUE !! Many of us testify that it almost as good as Aerosensa 30 in these aspects

HOWEVER, they NEVER MENTIONED ABOUT THE "FEEL" ... cannot quantify and measure that ... :p TOO ABSTRACT!!

So, while Mavis 2000 can replicate the TECHINCAL/MECHANICS of a real feather almost to perfection, it cannot duplicate the "feeling" of hitting a real feather YET ...