SBA Class 3 Umpires' Course‏

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by BaoQingWang, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaoQingWang

BaoQingWang Regular Member

Profesional
    Umpiring is never a career, more to passion. People never work full time as umpire. There are exceptional case, i heard but never seen, in other countries. But that is really an exceptional case :)

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Indeed, there is high turnover.

Maybe it takes too long for Class 3 umpires to be promoted and actually get to umpire more challenging matches. Are they given sufficient opportunities to umpire matches or only the same selected few get to umpire at most matches?

I'm not sure whether there is a clear route for umpires to gain promotion. Were they told beforehand how they will be promoted? Are they being prepared for promotion tests?

I understand umpires get a small token allowance to judge at matches. But if they continue to be just line judges and not umpires, there is less motivation and challenge for the newly qualified to continue.

I'm not sure whether BWF is up-to-date with what umpire benefits the other sports organisations are giving out. For example, I was told that badminton umpires have to pay for their own air fares when umpiring overseas.

I wonder whether football umpiring or football referees, say in the West like in the EPL, are professionals making a career out of the game?

#22 Loh, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  3. BaoQingWang

Profesional

Remember that 'botak' soccer referree which appeared in final of few world cup? He wasn't a full time referee, i heard he is a financial planner *maybe i misheard :)
    But chances for soccer referee to go full time is quite low, my opinion.

BWF doesn't govern the benefit of the umpire, aka allowance.
    It is all depends on the budget from the tournament, in Singapore.
    For international matches like Singapore Super Series, etc, there is a standard consensus.
    For Olympic, i heard everything is fully paid for :)

I had the same questions you proposed, some of them are answered while i am still searching for others. A number of things only be understood/known when you are in the circle.
    I see some of the juniors being given chance to officiate in semi and final for local matches.
    International matches wise, normally is for higher class.

Like i always say, umpiring is a passion.
    If one is good, most of the colleagues will agree and people could see clearly cos you are sitting up there in a match.
    If one is not good, it is too very obvious :)

You seem to be very much involved in badminton scene in Singapore, why not take up the challenge? :)

4. BaoQingWang

Profesional
    btw, extremenanopowe, to be the serious side. you can't scold LD for having stomach ache. umpire power starts the moment games starts, when you say "Love all, play!" and ends when you announce the winner and leave the court :)

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    It's just joking fren. At least being an umpire, you can say 'shadup and play lah' to the player. kekeke.. ;)

Anyway, I think perhaps a country can allocate a 2-3 full time umpires. It is up to the association to 'plan' for more tournaments.

Money is there. It is the people and the 'attitude' of the association. ;)

Hopefully things can change for the better. ;) Some old guards are just 'too lazy'. ;)

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Too old already lah. Eyesight bad. Prone to making wrong calls and getting booed or shouted at "referee kayu"!!! Never can get promoted. No chance to be a celebrity. No chance to travel overseas to umpire. Not nice just to watch the lines to figure out whether a shot is in or out. Will soon tire out and lose interest and passion. Without passion advancement is retarded.

Passion is in watching the players 'dancing' in the court.

7. BaoQingWang

Profesional
    Yes, watching is also another form of passion :)

8. BaoQingWang

Profesional
    three more days :)

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    HK has many people interested in umpiring. In fact, I am surprised at this myself. Many of them enjoy the game but are not good players themselves and it's a way for them to get involved.

I once asked a more junior umpire why they do it. Obviously they are volunteers and give a lot of time helping players have a tournament. The reason is pure enjoyment of the game.

For the top level umpires, they are volunteers at the international tournaments. They take time out of their jobs to go umpiring (as do soccer referees). It's a passion for the game. As a player, I am always grateful for the job they do :)

10. extremenanopowe

Questions.

1) SBA do get paid if any organisation need their service correct?

2) Do the umpires get paid also?

11. BaoQingWang

Profesional
    The settlement for the service varies with different tournaments.
    Not appropriate for me to discuss here on behalf of SBA, I am not their staff.
    We don't call it "get paid" instead it is called 'allowance' :)

Since it is more for passion, i prefer not to elaborate 'the money' here.
    To count every cents and dollar, it is never enough for everyone.
    Just like we always complaint to our boss that our pay is not enough :)
    For me the whole experience is priceless.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I like your attitude and passion.
    Hope you will continue to enjoy the experience for a long time to come.
    Hope to see you one day achieving international status as umpire.
    Now I think we only have a lady by the name of Grace who is holding up the Singapore flag. :)

13. BaoQingWang

Profesional
    Thanks. Let's hope so. :)

14. extremenanopowe

Always have backups. Good luck. ;)

15. blindaim

blindaim Regular Member

is the course still open?

16. BaoQingWang

Profesional
    Umpire Course 2012 by Singapore Badminton Association

Hi,
    For your interest. Do click on the picture for the registration form. If you have any queries, do post it here or PM me. Thanks
    umpire_course_2012.jpg

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I presume you are now a qualified umpire with at least a Class 3 and you must have umpired or been a linejudge of many matches by now.

Where do you see yourself in 5, 10 or 15 years' time as an umpire?

Is there a clear path for interested umpires to continue to upgrade themselves? Has the SBA put in place a formalized or more established plan to test and promote umpires so that they know what to expect on a more transparent basis?

For example, if I am a Class 3 umpire now, when can I be tested to become a Class 2 umpire - in 2 years or after having umpired a certain number of matches at official tournaments? If I passed the test, when will be my next stop to be considered a Class 1?

If there is no definite plan of this sort, why not put it across to the relevant SBA subcommittee to be more transparent in the interest of the qualified umpires.

18. BaoQingWang

Profesional
    Hi Loh,

You seem like a dissatified umpire to me rather than common folk eager to know more about umpiring. Maybe you should channel your queries to the relevant organisation or committee that you mentioned or should know.

This thread is meant for the folks sharing the passion for badminton instead of treating umpiring as some sort of corporate ladder expecting something. Trust me, umpiring will be much enjoyable without all sort of this expectation.

Let's make thing simpler, we are too stressful with office politics already, we can relax and enjoy something about our passion.

Thank you.

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

Don't get me wrong. I'm not here to make life stressful. As you put it, umpiring shoud be considered a hobby, an interest, a passion in the main.

There may be those who are interested and want to know more before they embark on the umpire's course.

So providing more information and making it more transparent may well help them in making a more informed decision rather than regreting it at the end of the day.

One reason I asked is that there are so few Singaporean umpires who, in my view, are recognised internationally. Why is this so? Is it that our current system of producing umpires that somehow does not facilitate the process?

Don't our umpires allow their passion to translate into something more beautiful that the badminton world can witness?

But please don't stress yourself to provide an answer.

20. sesepuh

sesepuh Regular Member

I believe in any badminton federation there is no minimum flight time before you can upgrade your umpire license.It is all about your ability to understand and implement the rules in the game.From my country umpire i heard that Singapore got easier path to be promoted to regional dan international level. If you follow some youth, chalenger or international series around Asean you will see young Singapore umpire there. I wish i am Singaporean :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.