Goodbye Crank and Hello Constant Pull (Wise 2086 aka Tennis Head)

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by DinkAlot, Mar 3, 2008.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Pete, i have to see it and convinced of to believe it.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi Mark,
    I would like to humbly disagree with you on this. As long as there is a difference and better in the result, I believe the stringer may and should charge any additional price from Wise to ES5Pro. How much is for the market to determine. If the 1% improvement lead to 50% increase in your win rate, would it be worth 25% increase of labor price?
    I did not raise my labor charge when I got my new machine because my personal belief even it cost a couple thousand $$$ (surprisingly the president/CEO/COO/CFO of my house did not veto the purchase). The price went up by $1 because of cost of string this year. I prob would be able to increase the labor price by $5 and I will see less than 5% drop in volume. But to see the people's smile when they have a even better string job is priceless to me.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    imho, how much people are willing to pay for stringing has a lot of to do with non-tangible things like: image, trust, reputation, confidence.

stringing is a service unlike going to get a haircut or hiring a photographer.

if you go to a guy who runs his saloon / studio in his garage, using an old mirror and scissor or a old camera, would you be willing to pay him high dollars?

or if you go to a guy who has a nice store with the latest camera and lights?

similarly, a badminton store has the establishment that give people a better image and confidence and they own a expensive machine which many will market to be professional and better. and they are able to charge extra dollars for their service (not taking into account that they do have to pay off that machine and also pay rent).

as opposed to the garage guys like some of us who don't have that image to work with but at least we can work with reputation and we can build trust and confidence of our clients over time.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Agree completely, but how many customers will actually notice the differences:)? If there is a measureable difference - to both parties - then charging more is perfectly justified, but if there's no ostensible change at all...

5. Koo&Tan

Koo&Tan Regular Member

Badminton coach
  6. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I doubt that the outlet is like the European outlets. However, I'm sure you can find some cheap adapters.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-to...ltDomain_0&hash=item53eab1a7d7#ht_2790wt_1396

7. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    Is it possible or even worth it to change an Eagnas st-200 to Constant Pull.

I only string my own racquets up to 26lbs.

8. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I think it's possible since the st200 is a crank machine. The only thing that would have me worried is the length of the tension "pole"/bar, but the wise fits shuttle express machines, which is similar to the st200.

Worth it ? Of course! Even if the machine isn't so good, the wise can be reused if you buy another crank machine in the future :p

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think it will work.

it will require you to take out the standard clamp and mount the machine directly on the tensioner bar like i did with the shuttle express.

check out the Alpha Shuttle Express thread to see how it was done.

10. bazzaman

bazzaman Regular Member

IT
    I will try to find a cheaper alternative to the wise2086.

Its nice but I would need 150 restrings to break even.

11. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

Took the leap and went for it!!!!! WISE arriving tomorrow... cant wait.. its like a kid waiting for candy.............

12. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    I've only strung one proper job with mine, plus an old racket like 4 times with crappy string and i already love it. What machine are you putting it on?

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Every WISE debutante looks for excuses to use it:D.

14. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    The annoying thing is that all my match rackets have pretty decent strings in them, either in the last few months or else had very little use. I don't seem to break strings that often either, so i had to cut out a fairly good set just to try it out at a decent tension on a racket that mattered before i do someone else's and get a surprise.

A 24/26 job with 10% prestretch came out like around a 27/28 on my old crank, and has lost less as it settles in, i assume from the prestretch. When i do 2 identical i'll try turning prestretch off on one just to see the difference it makes.

15. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

Its going on top a challenger.. but the side supports are the Chudek's supports with a lil bit more mods from my own.. clamps are W&D universal clamps.. 2 sets actually.. and also some more minor adjustments to the top head support to accommodate the load spreaders...

16. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

I've actually left a few rackets to string on purpose to give it a go tomorrow when it arrives.. so looking forward to that.. i've done enough research about it before taking the plunge... probably has been looking at it for about 9-10 months before now making the leap...

17. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

Just got it in a while ago.. assembled it immediately and had a go with it.. OMG its amazing!!!!! never going back to anything else ever again.. hahaahaha

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  19. biggybil

biggybil Regular Member

badminton
    well i just jumped in this train as well .. just placed my order of this sweet thing.

I have a quick question for those in canada or oversea, how long did it take you to receive it..? <-- see my excitement !!! lol

20. redskins009

redskins009 Regular Member

Biochemist
    Okay guess i jumped on the bandwagon as well...made the order today, hope they will ship it to me soon. They offered to have me come by and pick it up from their distribution office, but i have to make an appointment because they are not there all the time. I told them to just mail it to me, i just dont want to deal with LA traffic and trying to coordinate time of getting to a place. Im chill...i can wait for the mail...hehe