Lin Dan and the 2013 World Championship qualification

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by AlanY, Jan 24, 2013.

1. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    meanwhile
    lyb said he support the absent of lin dan in wc.
    slapped some face:D

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    It's hard talking sense to some CHN fans. They want a rule for themselves because they are so and so and because they are who and who.

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yeah
    they shocked when US ambassador take economy seat and carry their own luggage when he 1st come to china;)
    arent XXX should take a private flight and have some worker to carry their luggage?;)
    just like
    are lin dan should be automatically qualify for WC?
    then why zhang ning cannot automatically qualify for 2016 rio OG?:D

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oops, misspelling, I mean precedent.

5. smashmaniac

smashmaniac Regular Member

to me the world championship itself must be contended from the very best of the best. if the lin dan itself fail to justify his presence at WC (in the other word, by its current form i dont think that he is able to beat Chen Long, Du Pengyu, Chen Jin, Wang Zhengming or even Gao Han) so be it. What matter most is the current performance.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I know what you mean but that's not the point I'm trying to make. Like you I don't rate Lin Dan's chances very high and actually place him below Lee CW and Chen Long in that order, and perhaps even behind one dark horse.

The important thing is for the eventual champion to emerge from among the best of the best which of course include the defending champion,regardless of his form.

The reason why I think Lee CW is the top contender with a slight edge over Chen Long is because it will be their third consecutive meeting and even Lin Dan didn't beat Lee CW more than 3 out of 4 times on average in a year, statistically speaking. That's what it appears to me on paper, needless to say, anything can still happen; remember WC 2010 won by Chen Jin.

7. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    2012 or 2016 OG ? ZN won it in 2008.

8. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    I agree. I cannot imagine the "earthquake" in BC if BWF offer L D a wild card, and finally he wins the fifth titles in Guangzhou next August :D

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    ops
    my bad.
    i mean 2012 OG

10. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

this is one of the most interesting post in this thread so far, at least to my personal opinion. :D

but whether LD would be able to compete in WC or not, just wait for the truth later. no need to speculate now, just wasting energy typing all those posts. afterall, i think none of us can predict what CBA will or won't do?

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm not too optimistic but realistically speaking, based on what I've gathered, CBA is being sensible and wise not to continue to be over-reliant on Lin Dan to deliver the goods. A while ago after Lin Dan returned to the national training centre, Li Yongbo has already openly said he does not set any goals for Lin Dan from then on - that casual remark should tell us something.

Furthermore, both LYB and LD as I've said have tacitly indicated they are unwilling to forgo two players to make way for LD, rightly so, which means since there's no wild card granted for LD so he's out of the WC. Unless you tell me what's reported in the news media cannot be taken at face value, that I'm inclined to agree though I'm just reading between the lines.

Nonetheless, I won't rule out the possibility of the big-time sponsors making a last-ditched effort to appeal to the BWF and at the same time persuade CBA to change their minds. Well, maybe we should listened to bad's fan's advice and just wait.:)

Lastly, it has come to my knowledge that for the 2014 Thomas/Uber Cups to be held in New Delhi, the host nation automatically gets a spot in the finals, not to mention the defending champion, China.

12. sen

sen Regular Member

BWF has changed the rule for TC/UC, no more qualifying round. All teams go straight to finals if they qualify by world ranking points.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Off topic: The World Chess Championship Candidates just ended yesterday after 14 grueling rounds of play by eight super grandmasters in a double round-robin contest to see who emerges as the challenger for a world championship match against the reigning world champion. Note that the defending world champion didn't have to play in the candidates tournament at all, he simply fold his arms and wait for the candidates to 'kill' each other to see who gets the right to play him for the world title. In the end,my fave 22-yr-old Norwegian Magnus Carlsen qualified on tie-break (of more wins being decisively in his favour) from my other fave Russian Vladimir Kramnik.

Mind you,a multi-game chess match is a very tough mental contest that can take its physical toll. In the words of the late ex-world champion, Tigran Petrosian, a chess match which in his time comprised the best of 24 games can take a year off one's life !

To think BWF won't even grant the reigning world champion automatic qualification right when he still has to play round after round all the way to the final.

14. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

maybe we just need to face it, Justin. BWF maybe just can't take chess rules as part of their rules. even if BWF will do, i think we can't expect them to do it this year maybe?

still, LD still has that chance though. the only way left for him now is depend on CBA's decision (after monitoring his performance when he comeback i think?) afterall, even if i myself really want to see him in 2013 WC, the decision is not ours to make. so let's just wait and see what will happen, which players will compete for the title, and who will emerge as the WC in the end of battles. ;)

#94 bad's fan, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  15. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

looking at the latest points for the MS again, it's really hard push for LYB to select LD and leave out two top 10 players, Du PY and Wang ZM.

And the decision needed to be made by the 2nd Thursday of May with only next week's BAC to judge LD's match form.

LYD did made some unorthodox decisions and came up trumps before, not long to wait now.

16. Higher

Higher Regular Member

If Lin Dan is absent, it will be a very SAD World Championship without the best player participated, regardless what form he is.

17. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

i think his name should be LYB instead of LYD, right?

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    lindan say its better to be not qualified than lost in embarrassment of not fully match fit;)

19. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Very unlike Lee Chong Wei is it not? ;)

20. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

LYB's biggest desire is OG, so sacrifying 1 WC to let more younger players to expose to more WCs could be his preference...