2011 Japan Open SS: Finals Day - Sunday 25-September

Discussion in 'Japan Open / Indonesia GP Gold 2011' started by chris-ccc, Sep 24, 2011.

1. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

That was a clear out. If the linesman can be influenced to make the wrong call in that situation, that person should not be there. I don't know how GC missed that one, except for a rare moment of bias.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the world is boring when there are no villians. comic book, movies, love stories, all need a good guy and a bad guy.

commentating can be the same. you can talk and talk about the game, or you can fabricate drama by putting someone down as the villian. conveniently the Chinese become GC's villian. back in the early 2000's she will point things as trivial as the players' athletic tape and make a big deal out of it, "some thing must be wrong" just to dramatize her otherwise dull commentating. mainly because she herself is unable to create excitement out of nothing like some other commentators can (see Phil Liggett).

and to be honest, sometimes we cannot disagree, some antics from the Chinese teams are absolutely questionable. however, to be professional, commentators should still take on the issues objectively and not be so blatantly biased.

but commentating is possible without villians. there was this gentlemen from Canada who worked along side her for one of the recent tournaments. even though he wasn't fully a badminton person, he commentating came out much more natural without overdramatize the most trivial of facts.

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Enjoy Japan Open badminton here.
    [video=youtube;PysuH1KR-a0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PysuH1KR-a0[/video]

4. zerosum88

zerosum88 Regular Member

it is so unfair to blame China or Lin Dan

If you believe Lin Dan's withdraw was intentional, then you have to ask why Lin Dan walked away?

Don't you think it is so unfair that any country can only have 2 players for Olympics, unless they have 3 players in top 4? Why is it? What about those hard trained Chinese players that are ranked #6, 8, etc? Why BCL has to quit?

I think Olympics is more like individual's competitions. I don't care which country wins most gold medals. I want to see better players to participate Olympics, no matter which country he is from.

If you think Olympics is a competition among countries, then what's wrong when China fight as a team?

Think about it, stop whining.

BTW, LCW is also a Chinese, just happened he was born in Malaysia.

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

You should realize CHN adopts this practice even in non-Olympic years. The bigger question is whether it is good for promoting the sport. I really don't mind if CHN keeps winning–they deserve to with the talent they're producing. It's how they do it that could do irreparable damage to badminton, its fans, sponsorship opportunities and ultimately its exposure.

Try to keep the larger picture in focus.

6. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Your point being?

7. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Yes ladies and gentleman, I do drop by here once in a while to see if anything's changed in this place. :)

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    When the matches between our World's Top 10 players are not played

The whining happens when the matches between our World's Top 10 players are not played. It so happens that most of the time, they are the CHN-vs-CHN matches.

At this 2011 Japan Open SS, most of us would love to watch our World's Top 10 players doing their battles against each other. But what happened?;

* Wang Yihan (No.1)-vs-Liu Xin (No.9).....No match
    * Lin Dan (No.2)-vs-Chen Long (No.4)......No match

For World Rankings, here is the link;

http://bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=14955

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Yes, things have changed a bit at BC

Welcome back wilfredlgf. :D:D:D

Yes, things have changed a bit at BC.

It's good that now BCers are posting our opinions (for sharing and exchanging our thoughts); BC is much better now compared to years ago when BCers would bash one another when we didn't share the same opinions. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

BCers, after watching so many matches over the years, has there been an incident that the linesmen's decision was influenced or changed by the player(s) concerned? None, I think,so it's a futile attempt.

11. bunny76

bunny76 New Member

It is so obvious that China team has done the "unspeakable" again.

How "coincidental" again that two pairs of players are to meet in semi-finals and before that one pulls out to allow their teammate to have "a good rest on Saturday, so that they can be fresh to play the other finalist on Sunday. For how many tournaments we have seen such scenarios.

I am not convinced that the China players that withdrew from their semi-finals were injured, we have seen many times, the withdrawn player claiming injury on Saturday and come following Tuesday, playing unaffected in new tournament.

Surely something must be done to stop such practices of China team. It was the case for LD and CL, LD withdraw from semi.

Ladies: WYH vs Liu Xin and Liu Xin and Liu Xin withdraw.

Their very actions are spoiling and tarnishing the real essence of sportsmanship.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Only the line judge concerned can tell us if he was influenced or not

Only the line judge concerned can tell us if he was influenced by Chen Long's two hands indicating out.

The rest of us, including CL and/or GC, would not have a clue whether that line judge was influenced or not.

But it's best that;

13. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    The underlying issues...

China team might INTENTIONALLY do these NO-SHOWS (NAKED W/Os) in the SF of JO to COMPLAIN the WBF for PACKING their MS & WS players in the same half (pool); pitching them against each other in the earlier rounds! Otherwise they might get their objectives by other subtler means!

For better understanding of the UNDERLYING ISSUES, pls read over below better explanation:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/102915-2011-Japan-Open-SS-Day-5-(Semi-Finals)-Sat-24-September?p=1761419#post1761419

#753 kelana, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  14. ahchu5

ahchu5 Regular Member

engineer
    one word = China Team "kia Shu"

15. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

A few stars emerges from this event.

1. OF course the Chinese WD, BYX and ZQX. They beat 4 seeded pairs, they save 8 Match Points from QF,SF and final. Just awesome. Another very talented pair that will do well in future.

2. The XD pair CHL/CWH. They are a strong pair but usually they somehow lost in SF or final round. Buthere they prove that they are also had good chance to win gold next year.

3. Chen Long. Apart from any haters saying that he got 1 day rest , LCW just play poorly etc etc. The fact remain is he play two weeks in a row and win two title in a row beating top players. (Except LD) And the bonus side: he is only 22. He will be 23 in next year Olympic, the golden age.

I will not surprise at all, if both LD or LCW will not win the gold next year. Lets face it, they will become older one more year, a curse in any physical sports games. Just ask Taufik and Peter Gade. They got the skill but not the stamina.

Lets wait and see for next year OG Men singles, should be very interesting.

16. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The reason you give (protest for placing same-country players in the same half) is not a good reason. Because even when CHN players meet in finals or semis, the still match fix. So which is better : empty/fake finals or empty/fake earlier rounds?

17. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

if you're talking about OLY next year its a bit far fetched.
    but then again if only Cheng Wen Hsing spend a couple more hours a day on her serves and Chen Hung Ling on his power play, anything can happen.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

If China do not want their players to face each other at tournaments......

It is silly for China to do that, IMHO.

There are many countries who submitted many entries (of players) in some tournaments (especially in their home tournaments). We don't find many NO-SHOWS (NAKED W/Os) from their players.

At the 2011 Japan Open SS, CHN had (in the Singles events);

* Womens Singles: Only 4 entries.

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draw.aspx?id=94C74A61-90D9-4DDA-AA73-934C55FD6196&draw=4

* Mens Singles: Only 5 entries.

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draw.aspx?id=94C74A61-90D9-4DDA-AA73-934C55FD6196&draw=2

And there was only once in the Womens Singles there was a CHN-vs-CHN match, but it ended as a "No Match".

Again, there was only once in the Mens Singles there was a CHN-vs-CHN match, and again it ended as a "No Match".

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draw.aspx?id=94C74A61-90D9-4DDA-AA73-934C55FD6196&draw=2

If China do not want their players to face each other at tournaments, then they should not send many entries.

Surely, when more participants from a country have entered, their players will have more chances of facing each other.

If I were LYB and wished not to have many matches of CHN-vs-CHN, then I would send not more than 4 entries in each event.

But LYB sent many CHN participants and have often caused some "No Match" that we Badminton fans wish to watch (some good CHN-vs-CHN matches).

#758 chris-ccc, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  19. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    What? Can that happened with pro?

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

After watching the match again, I beg to differ on point 3. Chen Long won because he played well and improving, Lee CW lost because he was not at his best and, I think,he has yet to get over his WCH narrow defeat to Lin Dan, he certainly didn't play poorly. In the 1st game,he wasn't himself;in the 2nd, he woke up,played fast and furious, aggressively as he had to win;in the 3rd,he was too cautious, just wanted to play safe and win, but when Chen Long got over his 2nd game debacle and managed to return everything that Chong-wei threw at him,leveled the score towards the end, that's when Chong-wei became impatient,nervous, a bit unsure of himself, surprised by CL's resilience and good counter-attack,then it was quickly over in just two more points. If he had played the 3rd set the way he did in the 2nd, probably due to overconfidence and caught by surprise, he would have won the match. Don't forget he didn't make the same mistake earlier against Peter Gade and Kenichi Tago; the latter also surprised him by taking one set.

“It’s exciting. I didn’t think about anything during the match. I’m younger and he is strong. I was just lucky to win,” Chen Long told the media after winning his first Yonex Open Japan title. Note that Chen Long humbly admitted he was "just lucky to win". Let's see whether Chen Long can do it again in the near future, not necessarily the next time they meet. Even the Malaysian press didn't play down Chen Long's victory as due to Lee Chong-wei's poor form or shoulder injury, for that matter, or attribute it to his having a day's rest from a walkover by Lin Dan. Let's give credit where due though I was also equally disappointed by the walkovers for the men's and women's singles. I rest my case, everybody is entitled to his/her own opinion.