Chan Peng Soon & Goh Liu Ying

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by pajrul, Dec 5, 2010.

1. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

Rexy maybe already flied to Switzerland focus on his WD players (you know who they are)...

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    or partying celebrating his birthday today.

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    the 1st pss semi final for this pair
    they will break into top 8 next week i guess

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Congrats to CPS/GLY for making it to the SF last night. I stayed up until 2.30 am for the match. It could have finished one set less at 2.00am.
    The quality of play wasn't very high. Points earn were mostly gained from opponent's mistake, for both pairs. Maybe due to nerves for reaching this stage of the competition. Against a more established pair, both pairs may not advance. Now one more match to make it to the finals.

5. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

agreed... especially both men made too many mistakes, at critical points of the game. big difference is the malaysian guy made less mistakes and better serves than the british..(by not much)

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Their advantage now is the speed and power. Need to up it to reach top 10. Consistently. ;)

Anticipation is important. Those cross court net & flick to the back.

7. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Their game is quite predictable. Need to work on variation towards the Olympics, because now their opponents just like to catch GLY out of position or force her to the back (e.g. Imogen Bankier and Chris Adcock kept flick serving to GLY)

8. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Yeah, I was wondering how Bankier/Adcock managed to beat ZN/ZYL if they played that way. ANd how the Japanese pair managed to beat LYD/Ha, then next day CPS/GLY kau tim them in straight sets

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Now MAS players do video homework so make their life easier? Not kidding, they now talk about watching opponent videos!

10. eaglehelang

Yes and No. CPS/GLY not in their best form either - they can play better than this. CPS covered more for GLY this tourney, more than the usual, I suppose due to GLY's back strain.

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    It's 50-50. Depends on who wakes up better in the morning. ;)

12. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

No, its CPS/GLY 40 - 60 LN/Tantowi........

This Ina pair is too good for them to handle !!

13. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    i would say....on equally good form...adcock/bankier are a much more solid pair compared to CPS/GLY...GLY especially needs to improve on her consistency

14. eaglehelang

15. PrimeShuttler

PrimeShuttler Regular Member

Health Dept
    I would agree that they are not on their best form. The fact is, ZN/ZYL and LYD/HJE also can lose because they are not on their best form. I don't think any player/pair can always be on top form in every tournament that they play in. If they can play consistently at 80-85% of their full capabilities
    in most tournaments, they would be doing well. And as they say, if you can win even when not on best form, that's the hallmark of champions! :)

My personal feeling is that GLY is the more stable and consistent part of the partnership. Even when she received the flick serves, she was not too troubled by it. If there is one thing that she can improve on, I would say that perhaps she can improve on her defence and perhaps build up more power to be able to play from the back of the court, which Liliyana and Ma Jin does pretty well. Ma Jin's defence is really something to behold, and she often turns it into a counterattack.
    But GLY's attacking play, deception, one-touch play, net play, service are all pretty darn good. That's not to say it cannot improve, but it would be less of a priority.

CPS on the other hand, is a lot more mobile and has more smashing power, but he does not have much variation in his game. His smashes need to be more penetrative. Power alone is not enough, it neds to be more effective. Few times against Adcock/Bankier, when CPS smashes, it was turned into a counterattack by Adcock/Bankier. He also makes more unforced errors than GLY. Quite disappointing actually.
    I believe that in order for the pair to go one notch higher, CPS needs to step up a level.
    Either that, or find a better male partner for GLY, which I have mentioned previously in another post. :D

16. PrimeShuttler

PrimeShuttler Regular Member

Health Dept
    Painful. Try as they might, they couldn't get over the line. Probably more painful for them than us spectators/fans.
    If they had taken the first set, the match would have been totally different. Nonetheless, thy gave a good account of themselves and fought all the way.
    Now, if only KKK/TBH was watching and taking some lessons about playing with heart and fighting all the way.
    CPS/GLY, the job is not over. You two can only get better from here. We support you.
    CPS/GLY Boleh!!!!

17. Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer Regular Member

Spot on.........for what u have mentioned.

18. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Sunday March 11, 2012
    Chan-Goh suffer frustrating loss to Indonesian mixed pair
    ALL-ENGLAND BADMINTON CHAMPIONSHIPS
    NATIONAL INDOOR ARENA, BIRMINGHAM

MIXED doubles pair Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying walked out with frustration written all over their faces.
    They knew they blew their chance of becoming the first Malaysian mixed pair to reach the final of the All-England after going down fighting 25-27, 16-21 to Indonesians Tantowi Ahmad-Lilyana Natsir at the National Indoor Arena yesterday.
    It was their third defeat to the Indonesians but it will go into the record as the closest one.
    Peng Soon-Liu Ying had set up a clash with Tantowi-Lilyana after their spectacular win over home favourites Chris Adcock-Imogen Bankier of England on Friday.
    Then, Liu Ying, who took pain killers for her back problem, overcame the pain barrier to form a lethal partnership with Peng Soon for a 21-16, 15-21, 21-17 win over the English pair. Yesterday though, Peng Soon-Liu Ying just could not nick it although they played with much passion and determination to win.
    And Peng Soon was a shattered man.
    “I feel bad because we had a chance out there today. We should have won the opening game and that would have changed the outcome,” lamented Peng Soon.
    It was a thrilling opening match but one that the Malaysians will rue for a long time. Both pairs locked horns from the start and when the Indonesians pulled away at 16-13 and 20-18, the stubborn Malaysians just refused to give up.
    A ding dong battle followed and the Malaysians even had the advantage at 25-24 but failed to capitalise.
    The Indonesians took charge in the second game but Peng Soon-Liu Ying did make a late comeback but it was all in vain with the World No. 4 romping home to a win.
    “We played too hastily in the end. We should have been calmer and tried to control the situation and not let our emotions get to us,” said Peng Soon.
    “Overall, it was still a good outing for us to come this far and hopefully, we will become more steady,” he said.
    Liu Ying was as heart-broken as Peng Soon.
    “I did not take a painkiller for my back today because I felt better but I could not play as well.
    “I did try my best but committed some silly mistakes,” said Liu Ying.
    “I will take some rest and re-look into this back problem. I will be playing in the Swiss Open and must be careful so that I will not get injured again,” she said.

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2012/3/11/sports/10897575.asp&sec=sports

19. Bugsy

Bugsy Regular Member

SWOT analysis

Strengths to capitalise

CPS
    Fitness level, speed and power

GLY
    Net play, anticipation, mental strength

Weaknesses to improve:

CPS
    Low serve, mental strength, reading of the game, game strategy.defence

GLY
    backcourt strength (too weak compared to other girls), midcourt movements (need to intercept more in the sides in the mid court)

20. Bugsy

Bugsy Regular Member

But overall, they showed a lot of courage and heart to handle the more fancied pairs..great improvement..they are still young..as long as the hunger is there. They have the potential to be one of the best, if not the best..Bravo!!!