1 string vs 2 string

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Munch, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Munch

Munch Regular Member

Hello, I currently have a problem with stringing and I can't seem to find out why there's such a big difference in feel between the two.
    I go to this one store for a while to get my racquet strung. He uses 2 strings (cross is separate from main). I have always played racquets with this and has always felt good till the end.
    However I have decided to get my strings done by one of my friends (equally or closely qualified as the other guy). He uses 1 string. When I play with my racquet I don't much of a feel anymore, and I keep missing my shots.

Is there really a difference that I don't know?

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    More on skill I guess. It doesn't matter if its 1 or 2. Most pros are on 1 anyway. ;)

3. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    Is this about one piece stringing vs two piece or about one kind of string vs hybrid string jobs? Because one piece feels a little loose on terms of tension holding, while two piece feels better. But mostly just technique differences IMO

4. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

The official tournament stringers would normally string the Yonex recommended pattern which is in two piece. You'll notice that during the close up shots on the players especially when they've stopped playing.

As for the racquet not feeling the same as the two piece, it's because he strung the racquet and tensioned the string starting from one very end to the other. If you finger pull on the third main strings from the outside on both sides with both hands you'll actually notice that the tension on both sides are actually not consistent. You can go figure out why.

5. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Most top players use and prefer 2 pc string jobs. In the States, US Open for instance the tournament stringers use a modified Yonex string pattern for the newer rackets with less shared holes. The recommended string pattern has the cross starting at 9 bottom, the US Open Badminton stringers start their crosses on 8 bottom giving the string plane a stiffer feel which the top players like. The main knots are tied on 9 bottom to give less tension loss on the last main.

6. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Ask him to do a 2 pc string job, then you can determine if he is as good as your last stringer. See what machines they are using, drop weight, crank or electronic? Machines do make difference too. 2 pc does make a difference though, 1 long pc loses tension faster than 2 shorter pieces.