Any tournaments for club/league standard players? (Beds/Herts/Bucks area or beyond!)

Discussion in 'UK' started by zeddie, Feb 1, 2011.

1. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Hi guys,

It seems there a lot of tournaments around for county level players but not near enough for club and league players. BE used to have a lot of Bonanzas but it seems from the website that there is only the one for now, the flagship one in Birmingham. If there are any other smaller ones happening then we dont know about it. Do they have a special site to publicise them?

Me and my doubles partner recently played at a private tournament in Bedfordshire but it wasnt well organised. It was not a BE supported torunament and we only found out about it through word of mouth. It would be good if there were more tournaments for people at our level to compete in. We are good A team players for our club in Luton and we do enjoy playing in more competitive scenarios.

Would you guys be able to advise me of any tournaments around Beds/Herts/Bucks for our level either BE sanctioned or private? Please let us know if you are hosting one or know someone who is!

Many thanks

2. 1984AllENGLAND

1984AllENGLAND Regular Member

Follow this link: http://www.badminton4u.co.uk/tounament_form170710.html

This will be the 4th year running. Very nice venue(rubber floor) and you'll get at least 4 to 5 games
    as the early stages are played in groups of 5 or 6. Feather shuttles are used.

This is in London W2 area (Maida Vale area)

3. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Wow this looks excellent. Me and my partner definatly want to enter. We will travel from Luton. Could you tell me which catagory we should enter in?! I am a bit confused. We are league/club standard players and play in the B team (sometimes A) for our club in the Bedfordshire league.

We are certainly not cat A or C. Just unsure to go for B or B+..

can you advise?

thanks!

#3 zeddie, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  4. 1984AllENGLAND

1984AllENGLAND Regular Member

No big difference between b and b+ so just go for b+.
    That way, if you get hammered, join b next year :D
    The main thing is, you'll get a few games and you get
    to enjoy yourself.

5. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Perfect.. I will ask my partner if he wants to go for B or B+. He will probably say B as he wants to win :D

So I will register on the site by tonight and pay by bank transfer tomorrow morning to the details on the site. Looking forward to it!

Also it says 19th and 20th feb. Which day is it exactly?

thanks!

6. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Just registered. Bit confused as to pay now using the bank details on the web site or wait for the confirmatione email first? We want to make sure our place is confirmed : )

7. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

I'd wait for the confirmation e-mail. It's become quite a popular tournament as it's well run & friendly. I've heard it's filling up fast this year.
    Normally doesn't take to long to get a confirmation & you've got some time before they up the early entry fee.

Hopefully see you courtside. =)

8. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Hi mindfields

Yep we are all paid up and confirmed in the mens doubles B+ category. What events are you playing in? We are a bit worried about the standard of the B+ level and my partner is insisting we move to B instead lol.. Have you played there before? What is B+ mens doubles like?

thanks, and will definatly see you there.

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

is the Bucks Open senior 'bronze-level' tourny the right level? I'm just about to hand in application for that - its going to be in milton keynes.

10. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    there is a bronze event in luton on the 26th as well.. but we have been told the standard tends to be quite high in these. we will go on the 26th to watch and check it out for ourselves.

11. mindfields

I'll be playing in the Men's & Mixed B+ categories.
    The first year we played the categories were a bit of a mixed bag as people & the organisers tried to figure out what standards the players were at. Now it's a bit more balanced. Most players are a known quantity now & can be grouped based off prior performance.

I'd say that as long as your shot proficient, can sustain a rally & a bit more advanced than some club players mentality of taking turns lifting & smashing at each other. (i.e.
    play a bit tactically) you'll be ok.
    I would say that B grade would be a good starting point but no harm pushing yourself.

A lot of the time it's down to how you cope on the day with the courts/shuttles & the competition format. There's a lot of gaps & single games against opponents so it's difficult to settle into games sometimes. The G&D club players are familiar with the venue & shuttles so have a bit of a home advantage.

Just enjoy the day & meet new people.

See you on the other side of the net.

12. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Hi mindfields..

Thanks for your reply.. We actally WERE registered on the B+ section but got an email yesterday to say we have been moved to B since B+ is full. Thats all good with me and my partner. We would have been happy with either. :p

Yes, our main aim is to enjoy the day, meet new and wonderful people, do our best and just have fun!

See you there soon!

13. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Hi all,

We went to the G&D badminton tournament in london over the weekend and I just want to say we both had an awesome time! Thanks to Ricky and crew for organising such a wonderful, fun, and well run event. You guys are all so friendly not to mention excellent players. We will certainly be back next year.

In the mean time, if anyone else knows of any other tournaments which are coming up (for B level players.. not county!) then please let me know. We are happy to travel there : )

14. mindfields

Hey Eddie, glad you enjoyed it. How did you do in your group? Graded about right?

Talking to Andy I believe that G&D are going to run another tournament in August.

15. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Hey mindfields.. yea really enjoyed it! Our group was good.. quite tough. We finished 2nd so went through to the next round where we narrowly lost by 3 points : ( How did it go for you?

Oh wow I didnt know there was another one in august. Hope we are updated about it as we want to enter for sure.

16. mindfields

I was entered into the Mixed & Mens.
    Think it was to early in the morning for my mixed partner :eek: Didn't help that we had a really tough group. The other group would have been much easier (we'd played a lot of the pairs in matches).

Had to wait around a fair bit for the Mens but it was a good spectator day as well.
    Won 2 of our group games but messed up a 3rd. We were leading 11-4, then 15-9 & still managed to lose 18-21. Gutted about that & didn't make it through to the knockouts.

I think we're stuck in the middle of the B+ pack. Probably not good enough to win it but
    we can't drop down to B as we won it 2 years ago & you have to move up a grade if that happens.

Reallly good enjoyable day though it's pretty long. Had a match last night as well so feeling a bit worse for wear this morning. .

17. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Oh sorry to hear that man.. hard luck and better luck in the next one! i was in the B mens so the standard on the Sunday would have been even higher. If you are ever in the Luton area, do give me a shout and I will arrange a court for us ;)

18. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
  19. zeddie

zeddie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Any more bonanza or social/club/league tournys coming up guys?! Pls keep us updated!