Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Btw, I just read that LD will continue to play until Rio 2016. He said he just needed a rest not to retire.

I suppose LCW will do likewise to prevent him from taking three consecutive Olympics. Hopefully during the next four years new talents will show up to give them a good fight.

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think you are confusing what is great for the game and what is not so good.
    Lin Dan has done the game of badminton tons of good publicity, uplifting the game from a perceived 'sissy' game to a game of great warriors. His behavior after the victory plus his tattoos and warrior-like facial features puts the game of badminton into one of extreme sport.
    I am sure the BWF welcomes his antics as a powerful boost to the game.
    In the same vein, the Olympics table tennis gold medallist Zhang Jike even went further than Lin Dan. After his victory for the gold Zhang Jike ripped and tore his shirt in frony of the audience and let out a loud triumphant and loud salute. Zhang later apologized for his behaviour to the president of the world table tennis federation but the president in fact replied that Zhang's antics were what the game of badminton really needed for publicity and praised and thanked Zhang profusely.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well said. Those who take issue with Lin Dan's appearance as if they don't know what he's really like as a person are being superficial;indeed he has done so much to boost the image,profile and status of badminton as an extreme sport of beauty and power that even the ladies are playing more and more like the men in order to excel.

The example you quoted of Zhang Jike in table-tennis is apt, a physically less demanding sport than badminton yet requiring a high degree of speed,agility and dexterity - a far cry from what is sometimes in some parts of the world seen as a "backyard" or "sissy" game just because novices can only start learning the game by 'ping pong' or 'lifting the bird'.

And mind you,both Lin Dan's and Zhang Jike's antics are not affected behaviour, pretending to be what they are not,but as natural and true to themselves as they could be in self-expressions of sheer joy and unadulterated happiness of sporting excellence - that's what we want to see (and not mistaking it,unjustifiably, for arrogance and gloating over their opponents' defeats as some finicky narrow-minded people would like to think).

#3443 Justin L, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  4. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

I watched a show recently on TV. Its about China's gold medalist celebration event organised by Hong Kong, in Hong Kong where badminton, table tennis, diving gold medalist from china gave some exhibition show. I missed the badminton part, only saw the diving team performing but I heard its quite entertaining where they Yippy also join to play with a Hong Kong actor. But I saw the part where LD playing table tennis with Zhang Jike. The way LD play is quite cute as you can see he's trying very hard to control his strength while Zhang Jike was playing with a lining racket given to him by LD's team mates... LD won the match 7-2. The match was interesting as both were doing stuns n dummy to entertain the crowd. At the end all gold medalist went out to the stadium to perform. Badminton team sang a song with Sally Yeh and played a 2points match outdoor.. LD/ZYL vs Sally/FHF/CY, 2v3.. How cute!
    I cant find the video anywhere, if anybody has that, pls share it here.. Thanks!

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Aya, I missed it too, would love to see it, hope somebody can post or link it here.

6. bdfreak87

bdfreak87 Regular Member

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

8. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    What a show from LD!! That very much reminds me of the Harlem Globetrotters putting on a show on the bball court!

9. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

10. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Unfortunately,this part wasn't shown in the video clip,still thanks a lot.

12. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

that was when all the gold medalist went out to the outdoor stadium where some of them sang a song with hong kong singers...
    Gold medalist were introduced when they came out to the stadium, only when its LD's turn to come out, the crowd screams.. He is really famous in hong kong... Sally Yeh was also pulling him around the stage when she was singing... hehehehe

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It's been announced,Lin Dan-Xie Xingfang's wedding is on 23rd Sep'12.

No wonder he's not playing in JAP Open(held on 18th to 23rd) in addition to CHN Masters. Followed by honeymoon? If so, will he be giving the DEN Open and French Open a miss too?

Wish the blessed couple a blissful marriage and lifelong happiness!:)

14. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    I think Lin dan no more playing , after marriage, he give up .. liao... I feel very sad.. after Lin dan retire.. then china no longer can match Lee Chong Wei,, Chen Long inconsistent ..

15. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    China Badminton Super League

Here is a recent vid of LD vs Xue Song, a very young player who has good footwork indeed, jumping around like a kangaroo. :D

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes,I've watched it too at badmintonlink (got to switch to youtube as the stupid banner wouldn't close). Xue Song looked a promising lad though Lin Dan was a bit jaded from too many media activities. Hope RedShuttle can provide some info about him.

17. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    I think if Darren Liew were to play to his true potential he would be something like Xue Song. Xue Song's play takes the risk and initiative to create openings. I think all Malaysian backup players will lose to Xue Song.

18. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    where is the video ?

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

20. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Oops, sorry I forgotten to include the link. It's the link Justin provided.

Though LD is evidently facing burnout from the Olympics, Xue Song nevertheless displays good and sound tactics coupled with a pair of fast legs to give LD spectacular show.