LIN DAN got wild card

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by sportstar, May 8, 2013.

1. mogek

mogek Regular Member

lin dan champion of the 2012 Olympics gold medal

lin dan former world champion championship

clear, lin dan entitled to a wild card

2. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    Just wonder, will LD be seeded ? what happen if not and have to meet Chen Long or any other Chinese players in early round. Interesting !

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Of course he won't be. He could meet anyone in R1. All seeds will be praying hard his name won't be called out next to theirs

4. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    The better player win. LD may be exhausted after fighting with seeded players in the early round. If LCW is playing in the other half, he has a good chance beating a spent LD if they both reach that far.

5. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

6. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

hmm just last year BWF decided to send the 4 pairs WD ooff olympics for their lack of participation.

and this year they send in someone for his lack of participation.

Well done BWF, dont blame others for making this an unpopular sport.

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Good luck attracting the same volume of TV Coverage/Ticket Sales/Sponsors/Interest without the most successful player of the modern era. Olympic medals and World Championships seem to count for nothing in some peoples eyes...

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I can't help but feel disappointed with Lee CW's comments and reactions. I'd expect him to say something like :" Good, no problem. I'm going to beat Lin Dan and be a worthy,deserving world champion; in fact,I'd be disappointed if he didn't play. Whatever, I'll let my racquet do the talking, just wait and and see".

I'm pretty sure if it were Lin Dan,he would never say those things to put himself down and way before the contest starts, at that. It appears to me Lee CW is already mentally defeated long before the match begins. Not only that,his negative remarks may even serve to 'help' Lin Dan as Redshuttle correctly hinted, sort of galvanise him when his original motivation isn't exactly high in the first place.

After all is said and done, it's as clear as daylight that BWF, regardless whether any organization or individual influences them or not, simply had to grant the wild card to Lin Dan because there is just too much to gain from it for the greater good of the sport to everyone's benefit. That's why Grand Slam tennis practises it all the time. As for soccer world cup, they stop doing it now because they feel four years is a long time for a team of 11 players to maintain their form. In chess, the world champion just waits for the challenger to emerge and,in the past, it used to be a triennial affair, not annual as it is in recent decades.

That said, I still believe it's Lee CW's best chance to win the world title after the 2011 Paris near miss. Apart from the 'Three Musketeers', let's not overlook one or two dark horses, one of whom I'd say is Wang Zhengming, the other one...hmm(to each his own) - remember 2010 WC won by Chen Jin?!.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Friend,I thought that applies only to seeded players, for the unseeded it's random based on drawing of lots, not too sure about it myself.

Yup, if you're right, I can well imagine Lee CW's dismay at having to play not only DuPY or WZM but possibly Lin Dan as well in his half of the draw.

10. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

Maybe the press misinterpreted what LCW said but if that's what he actually said, I would be quite dissapointed as to me, he has a very humble n good image but now this? Honestly, he needs to learn some skills in speaking to the press like how LD handles it especially he has followers all over the world. He needs to know what to speak, when to speak and how to speak according to the situation. I believe LD will not say the same thing he is at LCW's position. Remember what LD said during TC before OG12? He wishes LCW for a quick recovery and he hoped that they can meet in the finals. Of course, its a different situation now but what is done is done, BWF decided to give LD the wild card which, to many people, its very unfair as LD did not try hard enough to earn himself a spot through merit. The least LCW could do is be generous about it or at least act to be generous in front of the world, he can go home n cry, scream in his pillow, punch his teddy n do all he wants to let go of his frustration. Then if they get a chance to meet in WC, beat him with his own ability, show the world that a wild card does not mean anything. Let the racquet do the talking like everyone here said!

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

How about asking the organizer of the last BAC at Taipei on how they feel about having Lin Dan's participation in that event? For that matter,ask BWF too, who probably knew better now.

Simply put, if it were Lee CW, I'm damn sure BWF would have done the same for him; I for one will clamour for it. Isn't it good that such a positive precedent has been set?

To put it bluntly, BWF and the badminton world at large have much more to gain than Lin Dan for whom it can be seen as a small token of appreciation for all that he's contributed to the sport. Fairness is not an issue here and, pardon me for saying this, to continue to harp on it in this vein smacks of prejudice, narrow-mindedness and even moral hypocrisy.

12. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i really wish people check the facts before they open their mouths.

bwf's rule is clear as they entitled to nominate a wild card entry for each of the 5 events. if bwf decided not to nominate a wild card then the player at the top of the reserve list will get lucky, not the other way round as the 'wild card' robbed the ticket of one already qualified.

now, here is the bad news. rumor has it that the minimum requirement for the consideration of wild card entry is OLY gold plus a couple of WC titles.

13. jasontyh

jasontyh Regular Member

Engineer
    Wild Card or not, only the best will become champion.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, I'd better not take all that's reported in the press at face value. For all we know, Lee CW could be misrepresented and quoted out of context.

As it is for Lin Dan, the same goes for Lee CW, I simply cannot imagine this year's WC without Lee CW. Really hope to see him at least in the semi-final - a final with Chen Long or Lin Dan (and for me, WZM as well) would be great. On the other hand,it might turn out to be Lin Dan vs Chen Long, as somebody puts it so well, the Living Legend vs The Future !

I truly hope to see Lee CW charge himself up and give it his best shot. He had better start to adopt a positive frame of mind and concentrate on his training or else, nobody can help him. Let's look forward to another exciting,thrilling and memorable world championship !

As some have rightly argued, let's put ourselves in BWF's shoes - what would you have done? Kudos to BWF for having done the right and best thing. On a similar note, their adoption of the hawk-eye challenge system is another step in the right direction, well done BWF.

15. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

Oops.. maybe LCW shouldn't have wait for a wild card next year... He will have to work very hard for a minimum of a few years if he happens to start winning WC this year. "OG gold and a couple of WC titles"... :D:D:D

16. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

unfortunately, the odds are all against the titles leaving the Chinese soil this year.

as i posted earlier in other thread, LCW had never won anything in China and only been to the final in China a couple of times over the last 10 years or so and lost them both.

China is not good for LCW as in Indonesia for LD, it's just something that they are not agreeing with.

17. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

Cant blame China.. Its their ability to excel in all categories.. I see alot of people complain about Chine clean sweeping all the titles in most of the tourney. Its really not their fault isnt it? Its up to other countries to chase up to them. It could have been Denmark or Korea or Indonesia or Malaysia to clean sweep, I don't mind.. If a country's players can do that, it'll be good! Means they're on the right track. Who doesnt want to win? its about can u win it and win it all???

18. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

most of the best MS matches for the last 4-6 years are involved with the same 2 players.
    we should be glad that they will both play in the 2013 WC!

19. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Very disappointed at LCW's reaction (if it us true)...

BWF is in fact doing LCW a fabour. With LD participated, it's still a good chance for LCW to win given LD's lack of competition... and instead it whoever win WC13 will not be discredited...

And it's fully within the rules, so why fury? Show the world you are the best by win this WC title!

20. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

haha LCW is scared ;)

Joking aside, I agree that it looks like Chong Wei has already been mentally defeated before the WC...it feels like he's willing to do 95% of the work, but just wants the rest gift wrapped to him. Maybe that's why he couldn't close out the games against Lin Dan in WC2012 and OG2012...Instead of hoping the opponent will give him the next 1-2 points he needs to go out and take them

That and he probably choked :rolleyes: