Rexy Mainaky Interview 25/3/07

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by ixory, Mar 24, 2007.

1. taufikk

taufikk Regular Member

I heard that the indonesian team are thinking about taking rexy to their side because of his great performance producing good double players in malaysia.Hope BAM will try their best to keep him here..donnt let what happen to Li Mao happens to Rexy

2. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Racism

I guess racism happen everywhere... when I was studying in UK! There are some really nasty teenager always picking up fight with asian.
    They challenge me for a fight (1v1), and told me he is underage... so no need to go to jail. & A passing car throw eggs & stone to us, not once but the turn back twice. Most of the adults are gentleman but those kids & teeenager are real A**H*LE

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Not only UK. Other parts of the world also have Racism.

4. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    agree. some of us have experienced the worst and some have not experienced it at all. racism and discrimination is somewhat an unwanted part of society.

5. fabcargo

fabcargo Regular Member

badminton
    Racism everywhere

Being an Indonesian with chinese blood I also experienced a lot of racism. In Indonesia which i was born and citizen we have been called names by the local people on too many occasions.

So being an Indonesian with a chinese blood is really bad to me because everywhere I go I can never call it to be truly home.

The worst racist verbal attacks was by far I experienced in Australia. On a few occassions I already had a knife in my hand ready to stab those stupid people. Jail was not a bad option then.

But all places we go we will always have racism. Its sad.

6. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    we cannot fight violence with violence. i know it is hard to do. but unless our life is threatened, we should never use violence. and no i dont believe the phrase stick and stones may break my bones, but words cannever hurt me. words said with bad intention hurts badly. more so i think than physical injury which in time will heal. words spoken, whether in positive or negative, can shape our thoughts and actions.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Not when you know that your life is at stake!

When the other party is not only trying to just hurt you but hurt you so badly that you will not live! Yes you try to run away as fast as possible. You'll yell for help but don't be a fool and try to stand up to them, defenseless!

Words alone can't save you. You need quick action to save yourself! :(

8. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Small %

Well! this kind of people only represent a small portion of the whole population maybe less than 1%. So we just have to live with it! :cool:

But the kids that bully Rexy wife did it at the right time and they accidentally help msia badminton... hohoho!!!

9. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

While I reckon the last few posts were off topic, they address something important, so i'll respond -

If it is true that contributary to Rexy leaving England were racist insults to his wife from yobs, then I'm sorry to hear that. I am English myself, and it makes me sad that some idiots will do these things... On behalf of my country I'm sorry that he had to put up with that esp. to his wife.

I think every Asian guy I know has got abuse.. I was discussing student accomodation with a Chinese guy from my church, and a lot of it centered on where is a safe [i.e. not racist] place to live. It pisses me off, to be quite honest.

I got into a fight last year because some 16-17 yr old skinheads were shouting abuse at one of my mates on a bus. To cut a long story short, I told them in no uncertain terms to put a sock in it [but in more choice language]. The upshot is that they followed me off at my stop, and one of them wanted a fight with me 'a square go': fair enough, he had it coming so when he tried to hit me, I kicked him in the testicles and then dropped him with a punch in the face... but his mates then came for me and as luck would have it there were some roadworks and they grabbed some planks and stuff and tried to hit me with those. One of them managed to hit me with a 'Danger: Men at Work' sign, which is slightly ironic, but I broke free after punching Mr. Roadsign as well and started running... luckily the sprint training for badminton seemed to pay off and I left them a long way behind... :p I was pretty lucky though... now i don't know what I'd do the next time esp. if one of my mates was getting flak. My doubles partner from HK, who's one of the gentlest guys I know [when he's not applying a netkill to someone's face or bodysmashing someone... you have learnt well, my young apprentice!:D] got beaten up in Hull when at uni there.. just got attacked for no reason except the obvious...

...Rexy seems to be a good guy off the court, I played some half court with him at an exhibition game in Leicester... they had had a raffle to see who would get to play Simon Archer or Nathan, which I didn't win, but Rexy and Roebuck trashed them while Rexy was taking the p*** with his trickshots. I asked Rexy if I could have a game with him and he was very gracious and had a hit. He gave me much advice about the game, and was very positive, even respectful - which I appreciated as he could have just said 'You suck!' he he.:p I think it is very obvious he is a Christian - not because he is 'meek and mild' - he isn't, and these are not particularly Christlike characteristics anyway. On court, he is all business - but that's different. Being fired up to play is okay, it's just balancing it with not trying to take advantage in unfair ways.

10. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Well! Makkem... Racism happens everywhere in the world, and it's represent a very small portion of your nationality! I would like to say that MOst English Adults are very manner people, the most well manner I have ever met!

I am from Msia but currently working in Dubai. Althought there are no teenage jerks like those who bully rexy's wife but the law here are extremely biased. The likelyhood of you losing a court case to a local is very HIGH!

Anyway! UK is a nice place to live! Cheers.. mate

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    True enough. I think that kids these days are getting abit too soft and not firm enough to stand up for themselves in the gritty world. However, if you're being ganged up upon, it's stupid to stand up and fight.

There's always gonna be prejudices everywhere you go, but then again it's not just prejudice. It's just plain bullying if you're in the same ethnic group.

Those kids are looking for trouble, and they just wanna beat people up. If you're getting bullied, seek help from police and school counselors. The troublemakers are doing it cuz they can get away with it. More importantly, let someone know cuz not doing anything about it makes it worse. This situation kinda remind me of those poor Japanese students who killed themselves after being bullied by their peers. They didn't do anything much until it's too late.

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    WE are Off topic. Rexy is definately a great guy. Had breakfast with him few times and i'm glad that he is with the Msian team. He is one great coach. Sometimes u might think he doesnt care. But he Cared.

Besides that he is helpful also. There was once during a tournament event where we were sitting and chatting, he was approached by a boy from Behind. This boy have a piece of paper and want to have autographs from EVERY PLAYER (not only Team Msia)!. This boy cant have access to the Players/Team Area, this Rexy obliged and say yes. What he did was he WENT HIMSELF and go ask autograph from Most players which was seated in the area, even though the piece of paper look like a piece of crumble junk. And 10mins later, he handed the piece of paper to the little boy.

13. fabcargo

fabcargo Regular Member

badminton
    Absolutely!!!!

These kind of things make a difference in our life.

14. kidosetiawan

kidosetiawan Regular Member

Student
    Koo Keen Kiat and Tan Boon Heong would be world Number 1...come on guys

(is my attempt as an Indo to get them complacent)

About Rexy's bad treatment in England....I am not surprised.....this place is full of Chavs who have no hope wat so ever in being good at badminton well yea mixed doubles but face it England sucks at Badminton.....furthermore if Badminton becomes an English sport then I'd stop playing it why???

Look at football what happened to it?? is identic with drinking and fighting....do you want this to happend to Badminton?? even 10 Rexy wouldn't make England a better badminton nation...they just don't have the talent......wat the heck they actually complained about Rexy's style of coaching....so dumb!!!

So good choice Rexy......but I hope you will return to Indonesia one day to bring our badminton up but England is a stupid place to live in thank god I only have till 2009!!!!

15. kidosetiawan

kidosetiawan Regular Member

Student
    How can those English ppl abuse Rexy??? stupid dumb chavs! England has stupid culture stupid ppl living here no offence...their culture is all about drinking and getting drunk...how can Rexy coach badminton to bunch of chavs?? Well for the love of god Rexy was here in England trying to help and the chavs who just took benefits actually abuse him.......Well England is a slump!!! Especially Manchester and Birmigham........gosh luckliy for Rexy now he is in KL...better place better ppl although not as good as Jakarta lol:p

16. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    Oww...the important thing here is not to generalize people....there are always good and not so good people around. but it is unfair to judge an entire population or a country based on the actions of a few ide*ts. Sorry sorry...off topic hehehe.

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes I agree with you and hope that others will remember likewise. :p

18. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

That's pretty racist if you ask me against English people. England does have culture. I don't think it is fair to judge a country on the actions of a small minority.

-Second point: Badminton is not big here... the only pair anyone know is Robertson/Emms... it's still considered a 'girly sport' here: this is wierdly because many people play recreationally here - it is more played than tennis or squash. In Malaysia or Indonesia, you know what real badminton looks like, here most people don't. I went to coaching because my parents took me. They neither of them can play except back garden badminton. I thought it was quite dire until I saw my coach playing doubles with his mates: he had a lethal smash - it sounded like a cannon! I was hooked. As luck would have it, he was very good.. a former national player, and knew the game. I didn't stay in the area long but I left wanting to play and that was the difference.

I think you're wrong to say there is no talent here... If it was a working-class sport with working class stars here like it is in your country we would have aspiration to play... frankly without exception our players are midde class. We produce world class talent in other sports, but the problem with middle class is that they usually have other options as well, they don't have the hunger to do well in general. I meet a lot of very talented players who came to the game too late or wasted their talent ... there's a bloke at my uni who's like a mini-Gade! he's a brilliant shotmaker - much better than Ghaffar et al. but never developed his fitness to national standard so he is a potential top 100 player gone to waste: it's not that he didn't work, it's that he was also committed to studies. We also suffer from a lack of coaching talent...

19. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    Its a bit too harsh to say that ENG have no talent...as was mentioned before it is just not popular enough there. By the way, dont we asians sound racist when we say places like england is a lousy place to be in due to its "bad" people? Just a thought. THen again, i dont think there is a place for racist people in a sport like badminton...gosh i love this game...heh heh heh.
    I think the same can be said about Asian football if we are talkin about talent, dont you think? But you did not bring that up now did you Makkem...

20. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Better than Jakarta

We dont judge others culture...
    MOst chinese would most likely to choose to live in London than Jakarta though!
    In london you dont simply get killed for being chinese :cool: