Super Series Grand Finale Group Stage (12-14 December 2012)

Discussion in 'Super Series Final 2012' started by etudiant, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I went to watch after reading your post #473 but was too late and missed it. Only saw the THA players hitting the shuttle out and into the net. What happened? I know that both pairs are already out of the competition.

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    the Thai pair didn't do their best.

I wonder why they didn't withdraw like everyone else. this is interesting.

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Because you don't get your ranking points if you withdraw I think (cause its group play)

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    yea, the Thai pair didn't use their best effort to win.

But it's not clear why they didn't withdraw like everyone else had. Maybe BWF won't let them withdraw because of pressure from sponsors and TV broadcasters!!!

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Thanks. Maybe some lesson can be learned from this episode by BWF.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sorry, I wasn't even watching, what happened? Both pairs trying to lose?

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    No, just the Thai pair didn't use their best effort.

But, i don't think it's a case of "clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport".

8. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

They could have gotten tournament doctor to check &retired halfway thru. Did the Thais have their coach with them or at least a senior to guide them?

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I guessed it. Since the outcome was academic and both pairs didn't feel like playing and, to make matters worse, Issara was injured, so the Thai MD pair was shown the yellow card for not putting in their best effort? Should have allowed the Thai pair to withdraw or retire before this match, to save the embarrassment and spectacle.

10. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

the silly thing is, as LD_rules mentioned there are about 6000 points and 3000 USD on offer if they finish last rather than withdrawn.
    similar as LCW, turn up play 1 match and pick up 3000 USD instead of -5000 USD!

so, bwf tried the carrots and stick both didn't work, what to do next?

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i don't understand. LCW had withdrawn and he still gets the US$3000???? i don't understand.

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

The thing that's worse is that Jongjit and Issara could still beat most forumers under 10 with their injury! :p

13. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

that's the prize money for the 8th place i assume that should be what he is getting

14. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

i think the SSF this year is very unique. maybe almost half of the contender didn't play to after the prestigious title, but play just to after the USD$5,000fines-free state. and this is what BWF want to show the world? with such performance by players that tired, caring injuries and not ready to fight but have to, and BWF hoping they can attract more fans? why don't they invite players that are more ready, really want to give their best to take the title, and by so maybe we can have better show to attract new fans if that's their goal. :)

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah, as the saying goes, you can pull a horse to the water but you cannot make it drink. I feel BWF and all the member associations should sit down together and have an open-hearted talk to try their best to work out a win-win solution to the situation.

The BWF's main goal is to promote and popularise the sport worldwide and make money at the same time, the sponsors have their interests to protect and reap, but it is the players who have to play and risk injury and do the balancing act among BWF,the sponsors and their own obligations and careers - so all parties must be sincere and willing to work together to fulfil each other's needs and wants; instead of just hoping the problem will go away expecting the member associations and players concerned to be the party that do the accommodating and adjustment to the BWF 's and the sponsors' demands.

Ultimately,it is the players who have to perform for the spectators' and viewers' enjoyment and satisfaction. If the players affected are not happy,well and motivated to give of their best, then everyone including the BWF and sponsors lose in the end.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The Japanese who declined the invitation, Sho Sasaki, the doubles players? They preferred or are obliged to play for their sponsors in the All-Japan National Championship.

17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think BWF can be critized for lots of things. But blaming BWF for a select few players who currently have their priorities set outside the badminton-court rather than inside is a bit lame..

The fine could rightly be questioned.. But keep in mind some of the same people complaing about this now, are the same people who "demanded" that BWF should show power and not accept people (LD come's to mind) withdrawing late from some tournaments, dissapointing fans.

I also seriously doubt you get a BWF fine if you are being unable to compete due to injury, illness.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Fu Haifeng said, according to some expert studies, badminton is a more demanding sport than tennis, not to mention the prize money is world's apart.

The nature of the game and the rules indeed are different. Badminton today involves a lot of fast running, stretching, straining,lunging, and jumping, as well as twisting and turning. Play during competition has to be continual with a short two-minute break at point 11 mid-game interval. If the two opponents match each other point for point, that means a total of 21 points would have been played before the break at mid-game interval. No wonder,after a long,grueling rally, players are not only panting for breath but would often resort to delaying tactics such as requesting for floor-mopping,ask for towel break, shuttle change or just walking around the court.

Also it seems to me, badminton players are more prone to injury than tennis players. Doesn't this tell us something?

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I've to admit the tournament tight or overcrowded schedule problem only affects a few top players , esp those who play back-to-back tournaments and each time playing the full 4(until semi-final) to 5(the final) rounds as they seldom get eliminated in the early rounds. But these top players are the crowd pullers, the stars of the show, they are what the spectators and TV or media viewers pay money to see.

Personally, to be frank, I'd like to watch two SS plus one GPG tournaments every month but if a number of the top players are missing due to injury or something, then it takes away much of the fun.

20. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

but i read it somewhere that as long as a player can still walk, then he/she must show up. if not, they're still fined, even if they're injured/ill.
    but please feel free to correct if i understand this whole thing wrongly. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.