JJS/LYD - Road to the WR #1

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by narnia, Dec 22, 2008.

1. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Lol~ As you like it, I'll get back with recent stats later. Anyone can do this job if they want.

p.s. you don't seem to know much about the BWF Ranking system; in the meantime I recommend you to check it out fully.

:)

#441 narnia, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Take your time..^^

..afterall, i want you to prove to us that LYD & JJS are really a "dominating" pair simply by their head-to-head record against the other top pairs...:cool:

BWF ranking?? A player/pair wins or collects pts and they all add up to reflect their ranking. What more do i need to know? And your point??..:confused:

*scratching my head & wondering why am i all of a sudden immersed in this thread*??..:confused::(

3. narnia

narnia Regular Member

It's not enough. Please read the system carefully not to misunderstand it. :)

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Please summarize it..^^

..for us here, not only for me but for others as well, trying to figure out what is your point in bringing up the BWF Ranking system??..:confused:

5. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Haiseh, said already mah, the more you ask, the more confusing, haha.:D:D

Btw, you all forgot to count SS FInals participation, must factor that % in also, my calculations did not include International Challenges, but GP upwards to be consistent with all top pairs.

Another thing, the 'dominant' or not thingy, can be very complicated. Cos we can also see how many runner-up, semi, the pairs entered.

And then, whether to count Asian Games, OG, Commonwealth, SEA Games.:p Not all countries can play in Commonwealth & SEA Games, then the question will be to count or not. Then there's some European Team championship or sthing like that, which the European pairs take part.

And timeline, 2008 was good year for LYD/JJS, 2007 was bad, 2009 ok.
    End of 2009, can be 3 yr period, 2 yr period or just 2009, just the different variables can make one pening kepala.:p:D

#445 eaglehelang, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^What, where and why..^^

- Hmm, what do you mean by "already said mah"? Did narnia point it out already? I was asking because i'm confused and bemused by narnia's intention of me reading more into the BWF ranking system.
    - I'm only looking at those BWF-sanctioned tourneys.
    - Just the 2008 stats. Unless you really want narnia to do extra work by counting the 2006, 2007 & 2009 stats.;)

7. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Head to Head Stats among the Tops

Head to Head Stats among the Top MDs

This table was prepared based on all data collected from the stats available in Tournamentsofware from 2008 MAS Open to 2009 SIN Open, which reflects the records for the recent 1 and a half years. Among the Top 10 in current BWF ranking, 8 teams were included who have taken the titles in Super Series.

If there are any errors or any other data missing for the period, please let me know to update.

H2H Stats of Top MDs.jpg
    (To read the table, WHO in horizontal beat WHOM in vertical in the tourney specified.)

Some findings from the stats:

- JJS/LYD shows absolute winning % of 77% or around 80%!
    - They were esp. stronger over MK/HS, KKK/TBH, and MB/CM
    - FHF/CY had only 10 matches against the tops for the recent period, that's not enough to determine their strength against the tops.

Post your reflections as reading the table...

Enjoy~! :)

#447 narnia, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Pretty darn good effort..^^

..what can i say, you've exceeded my expectation, narnia!!2 thumbs up for your effort![​IMG]:cool:

Actually, i was just looking for the 2008 head-to-head stats between JJS & LYD vs. the other top 10 MD pairs.
    If you don't mind, could you do another similar tabulation, but just for the yr 2008? I think you can get the 2008 final MD ranking from BWF's website.

Now, to point out JJS & LYD's 2008 record, i guess they went 11-3 vs. the assumed top 10 MD pairs in BWF-sanctioned events. That's a winning percentage of 79%-80%!!, a pretty respectable number. While winning all 3 of their meetings vs. Markis & Hendra. And only going winless against BC's resident pair, JR & LP.

Markis Kido & Hendra Setiawan went 7-7, a winning percentage of 50%.

Koo Kien Keat & Tan Boon Heong went 7-8, a winning percentage of 47%.

Cai Yun & Fu Hai Feng went 2-3, a winning percentage of 40%.

And BC's resident players, JR & LP went 6-3, a winning percentage of 67%.

Clearly, looking at those numbers (in addition to their titles), LYD & TBH do have an argument that they were arguably the most dominating MD pair in 2008.

#448 ctjcad, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Cos you post 1 time why are you immersed in this thread. And what you ask, we already gone thru long, long time ago. The % stats as in titles & all that, I already did for 2007 & 2008, a 2 year total, & 2008 total.:D

10. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I am impressed with the hard work that our resident KOR fan has put in and indeed shows that Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae is the DOMINANT PAIR of 2008 :) No doubt, Jung/Lee only lost 3 times to the top 10 pairs in 2008; the other losses were to Luluk/Alvent, Hwang/Lee, and Guo/Xie; bringing the total losses to 6.

I do accept that in terms of percentage of winning against top 10 pairs, Kido/Hendra were inferior due to the fact that they had a 0-3 record against Jung/Lee and 2-2 record against Koo/Tan. And three of those happened when/after Kido's knee injury flared up during the Hong Kong SS 2009. The other losses were to Paaske/Rasmussen, Ohtsuka/Masuda, and Tony/Candra; bringing the total losses to 8. However, our resident KOR fan missed the fact that Kido/Hendra had beaten Fairuz/Zakry 3 times in 2008 :eek:

Even Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen had a better record against the top 10 pairs during 2008 as they only lost a total of 4 times: 2 to Kido/Hendra, 1 to Koo/Tan and one more to Choong/Lee.

#450 badMania, Jun 16, 2009
  11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..hmm, i don't know either why all of the sudden i'm so immersed in this thread..:confused::eek:...maybe cos of all of the debates that have been going on in here over the use of the word "domination/dominated/dominant" that i found quite insignificant; on the other hand, if narnia had put up a similar graphic earlier to back up his claims/arguments, then maybe this thread wouldn't be as long..:p
    Anyway, i was asking abt what narnia meant by "i need to read the BWF ranking system more carefully". Not questioning "% stats as in titles etc".
    Do you know what he meant??...i certainly don't. But if you do, do you mind explaining??..:confused:
    About those 2008 records:
    - narnia, in this instance, purposely showed head-to-head stats for the top 10 pairs only. IMO, the top 10 MD pairs counted more because of what they had accomplished in comparison to those outside of the top 10.
    - Looking at the graphic, I only counted 3 losses vs. the top 10 MD pairs for LP & JR.

#451 ctjcad, Jun 16, 2009
  12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Several pairs such as Choong Tan Fook/Lee Wan Wah, Tony Gunawan/Candra Wijaya, and Tadashi Ohtsuka/Keita Masuda were ranked in the top 10 by end of December 2008. So, If you are to count the number of losses to the top 10 pairs for Paaske/Rasmussen, it will be 4 (including 1 to Choong/Lee). Oh, and Nathan Robertson/Anthony Clark is not even a top 10 pair by the end of 2008 or even right now :eek::rolleyes:

Plus Chris, u assume that the data presented in the table is 100% correct. I had raised a counter-example where narnia failed to include Kido/Hendra's three victories over Fairuz/Zakry in the whole of 2008!

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Yes and maybe..^^

- Yes, i am only looking for the top 10 MD pairs at the conclusion of 2008. I had requested narnia to do the stats for 2008 only. But i guess he got a bit excited and went a bit overboard and included this yr's also. As we can see, it gets a bit complicated.
    - I didn't check the standing of the top 10 MD pair for the end of 2008, so i took the stats as correct. Was Fuzzy pair a top 10 pair at the end of 2008?? And were those 3 victories occurred in BWF-sanctioned tourney(s)??..If so, then narnia probably needs to revise his stats graphic..

#453 ctjcad, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Oh...definitely Fairuz/Zakry was a top 10 pair...u can look up the ranking by end of December 2008. ;)

The 3 victories were in: Swiss, Denmark, and French SS 2008.

15. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Thanks guys for good discussions.

I'm gonna discuss on the stats in another new thread and here will be dedicated to JJS/LYD's on-going performance.

Enjoy~ :)

#455 narnia, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Can anyone tell me who is JJS's former md partner? i think he' being recruited to the national squad quite late though.

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

#457 ctjcad, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

then what about HJM?:D
    lol, thanks for sharing their youthful pics.

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

20. event

event Regular Member

No. Yoo Yeon Seong's former partner was Jeon Jun Beom. They were together since middle school, at least. I don't remember him ever playing with Hwang, who was at the same high school as Lee Jae Jin, but 2 years behind. He and Lee Jae Jin actually won the AJC together in 2001. Lee had played in the AJC in 2000 with Jung. Lee and Jung went to uni together from 2002 to 2004 but had no int'l results during that time, only domestic (Korea had three solid veteran pairs at the time in Kim/Ha, Lee/Yoo and Kim/Yim) so their only complete international season together was 2005, when they went to world #6. Meanwhile, Hwang bopped around with different partners, including Kim Dae Sung, Lee Eun Woo, Han Sang Hoon, Lee Jae Jin, Jung Tae Keuk and even Jung Jae Sung, with whom he was runner-up in 2004 at the Vietnam Satellite.

Oops. I stand corrected. Hwang and Yoo did play together at the 2005 Korea Open. I don't know that it was more than a scratch pairing.

#460 event, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009