Zymax strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Lobeh, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Alapongtai

Alapongtai Regular Member

ya i did email ashaway to see if i can buy it directly and thats the response i got. lol. i shouldve done that before i bought the strings in the UK haha

2. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Of course distributors can't sell them below $90. But say, offer a customer a coupon like "10% off an order of $180 or more" or "free shipping" and it technically abides by the rules as I understand it.I am based in the states, and I certainly have red ZM67 to sell :)

3. Yamster

Yamster Regular Member

I was wondering if anyone had issues with the Ashaway Zymax 70 (the new model) having a dead feeling?
    I noticed when playing the feeling really is really dead, on hard shots the absorbtion is not as bad, but especially when you are trying to make touch shots it feels like the string absorbs all the bounce, its really weird.
    Tension played, ranging from 26 to 29 lbs for testing.
    I'm actually quite disappointment because I have an entire reel of this to use up.
    On the other hand, the Zymax 67 doesnt seem as bad, but I haven't thoroughly tested it yet.

#903 Yamster, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  4. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    What color do you use, and what is your method of stringing (MxC tensions, prestretch, preweave, length of testing time for each stringjob, racket choice, etc)?

5. Yamster

Yamster Regular Member

Color: White
    Tested: 26x28 (no pre-stretch), 27x29 (no pre-stretch), 28x30 (10% pre-stretch)
    All preweaved (should not make any difference here).
    Length: Probably two or three sessions, just get fed-up with the absorbtion of power and such and just cut the string.
    Racket Choice: I dont see why this is relevant, but Arc Zslash TH for 26x28 (this was probably the worst feeling one, but others were pretty close), Babolat X-Feel Blast for the other two.

6. asianguy

asianguy Regular Member

student
    I've been using Zymax 67 strung at 25 pounds. It is very durable and has decent power as well (not as good as bg80 though)

7. SlackKid

SlackKid New Member

I used it zymax 67 at 29 lbs it was so good.... no dead feeling or whatsoever. i just cant stop loving this string o man... so good!!!

8. coolkid315

coolkid315 New Member

I find the string is very satisfied with 33X35 lb. I usually do 15% pre stretch and it seems to be ok. It's a lot better than the victor vs8000 and 850. I just like the sound of the string and I think I'll try the yonex BG66ULTIMAX. Have you tried it? Heard it's pretty good.

9. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    What do you mean "not as good"? Durability or performance wise? Is the BG80 still more durable than the new '67? The reason I ask is because I also have my rackets strung at 25lbs

10. SlackKid

SlackKid New Member

Please ask Yamster about this, he is an expert with zymax 67 at 25 lbs. He is a professional stringer for the UBCBC. You can send him a PM to his inbox when you need help.

11. asianguy

asianguy Regular Member

student
    In terms of power, doesn't give as much "pop" compared to bg80. In terms of durability, they can easily last 3 months or more (given that you're not a super hard hitter), while bg80 breaks on me within a month.

12. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I have just strung ZM67 [red, old package/model I think] on a 4U VT70 [TH distribution] at 31lbs "manual constant pull", meaning that after pulling the crank tensioner to lockout once I released the tensioner, pulled more of the string into it and then tensioned to lockout again, and repeat until I can hand-pull no longer. The process takes way more time compared to normal crank but at least I get that tightness I want, how I wish I have a real ECP :(

On a side note I did all that on an old 2 point hold-down Ashaway machine which belongs to my stringer. Thank goodness for the brake system which enabled me to tension the strings at very straight paths and minimise frame deformations due to the lack of side supports at such high tension stringing. Talk about extreme stringing :D

The surprising thing I found regarding ZM67 is that compared to a PP T2 which I strung with exactly the same method and tension with BG80 [yellow], the ping frequency of ZM67 is lower than BG80 and from my memory, my ZM67 at 31lbs sounds like BG80 strung at 30lbs. Comparing the feel of the two, the BG80 feels hard, crisp and explosive while the ZM67 simply feels like BG65 strung at 2lbs higher (so ZM67 at 31lbs in this case reminds me of BG65 at 33lbs). The ZM67 has this bow and arrow feel where the string bed bends backward during a hard shot and then explodes, giving quite a lot of power plus control which is similar to BG65 (but again at a higher tension for the latter) which is especially a good thing for a hard hitter who prefers this kind of feel. The stiffness of the string bed also feels similar to BG65, rather than feeling like the hardness of BG80. This I feel is a little unexpected for a relative thin string at 0.67mm diameter.

If I were correct about the ZM67 feeling like a higher tensioned BG65 (which means I don't have to go to those insane tensions of 33-34lbs with BG65 to get the same feel I like), and the earlier having comparable durability to BG65 at the higher tension then ZM67 would be a force to reckoned with. I shall know by time :)

13. kevindd992002

kevindd992002 Regular Member

Engineer
    So which is the best and latest string from Zymax nowadays?

14. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    red zymax (red string) is the newest edition
    it's up to you to define what is "the best" in term of feeling? durability? can be strung high?

ZM62 (0.62 mm gauge), the thinnest string in Zymax range, it has the best feel, but pretty bad durability, don't be shocked it snapped after one game, or even few hits

ZM67 (0.67 mm), excellent string that will provide you feel and durability, not as good as ZM62, but more durable

ZM70 (0.70 mm), the thickest string in Zymax range, still good feel but less than ZM67 and much more durable as it is a thick string (also can be strung really high)

if I'm not wrong the new Zymax ZM65 will come out..

15. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

You got PM - zymax 67 red. :)

16. kevindd992002

Engineer
    What is the best zymax string right now? There are newly released ones, right?

17. TsAr83

TsAr83 Regular Member

I have used Yonex NBG 98 strung at 28pounds, would Zymax 67 suit me, give me the same power and repulsion.

18. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

My personal favorite is the new ZM62, but ZM67 is also a very good choice (I like thinner strings).

Make sure you pick the 2nd gen Zymax, as they are much more durable than their 1st gen counterparts :)

19. kevindd992002

Engineer
    How

can we determine if they are 2nd gen?

20. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I told you before, the red string is the new one (for all zymax)
    and the packaging colour is black