Looking for a camera

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by fishmilk, Oct 9, 2007.

1. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Sony Cybershot DSC-V1 was unfortunately lost by me. It was a pretty big blow because I had invested quite a bit of money on it and although it served a good 4 years, I didn't exactly prepare to replace it.

I am leaning towards a P&S because of the size. One thing I didn't like about the camera is the bulk of it. There was no comfortable way of carrying it without using a bag of some sort. (I'm the type of guy who likes to go around with a couple of cards and a money clip. I don't like bulk and I don't like bags.)

Am I kidding myself to think that a P&S can give me some decent shots of badminton action?

I'm also looking at other options such as the Canon S5 and G7. I'm not ready to venture into the world of DSLR's, so these are about as high as I'm willing to go. I really like the Canon S5 because of it's zoom and flip screen. The negative is that there is absolutely no chance I can get by without having to purchase an extra P&S.

Hoping you guys could help me out with a tough decision as you guys have done in the past.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What would you classify as decent? What sort of badminton photos do you want to take?

You can look through some of the tournament threads. People post badminton photos up. Which type is unacceptable for you?

3. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Richmond, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
  4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I didn't buy the G7 because no RAW function. Kwun recommended the Fuji F31 which was cheaper for camera which does jpegs.

I'd like to get the G9 but will keep the Fuji for now.

6. Marky

Marky Regular Member

According to the link, it seems G9 has the RAW:

To quote: "The restoration of RAW recording is, however, not Canon's only notable improvement in the G9."

I have no idea how much is Fuji F31 but G9 askes for about US500.

#6 Marky, Oct 9, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  7. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

sorry to interrupt but what's a good camera?
    i currently have a Pentax Optio s60 which is a basic compact digital camera. i feel that its not sufficient for my intentions. ie it doesnt take clear/sharp enough photos for me.
    are P&S a step up from compact models?

edit:
    to be exact, i know some features that i want but i dont exactly know which type of camera to get
    high ISO
    manual shutter speed

and thats basically it

#7 llpjlau, Oct 9, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i would not recomment F31 for badminton. in fact, i think the G series is probably minimal.

you cannot have light weight and good sports camera at the same time. period. i carry a 3lb camera around with 10lbs of lenses and i still think it can be improved..

9. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Cheung, are you still using the Fuji FD31? I just took a look and if I could get something close to the pictures you took in Macau, it would exceed my expectations. Obviously there's a huge difference in skill but I guess a camera isn't like a badminton racquet. Skill can only take you so far before you're limited by the camera's abilities?

Can a G9 do that for me? Also my mother is in HK, I'm thinking she can get a better price. Any stores to recommend?

Thanks!

10. Marky

Marky Regular Member

I would bet G9 is the go. Please post pictures when you get it.

11. Whoopty

Whoopty Regular Member

G7's shutter lag is pretty bad for badminton, but it does take very nice photos of a high quality. I expect the G9 to better.

12. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Hmm, I was reading some reviews and didn't really hear anything about better shuttler speed. Worried now.

13. joytime360

joytime360 Regular Member

Well I think Canon PowerShot G9 is good for you . It got some special modes for shotting including a sports mode (Ensure highly accurate autofocusing when shooting fast-moving subjects. )you can use it for badminton .It is the perfect camera alternative to a bulky SLR - without the loss of total photographic control or quality.
    You can get some reviews for it : http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082005canong9.asp
    When will you need it ,recently there is a deal on it for $450 , quite a good price for it ,if you intend to get on, you cannot miss it :
    http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=62761
    Anyway hope this helps.

14. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

but since its a normal Point and shoot, for that price, wouldn't you be better off with a slr ?

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Cheung has a Canon 30D DSLR with some fancy lenses.

u are correct that you will run into equipment limitation very quickly when it comes to badminton photos. and i mean, very quickly. the requirement in equipment for taking good badminton photo is unfortunately very steep.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That's right. I use the 30D with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens

In HK, the package would cost about HKD 16 000. Not every picture will be a good one. I think I only get 1 out of 10-15 that I am fairly happy with.

Before, I had the canon 350D, Frankly speaking, I was very unhappy with the badminton pictures. The results were far worse when trying to capture players' movements. If they stood still, it was OK!

So I think G9 and Fuji FD31 will not get good badminton photos. But it depends on your requirements on quality. There are some hardcore guys here who want really good high quality photos. They have the equipment to get the shot with the equipment being perhaps 4x the cost of the G9.

Although cheaper cameras like the G9 might have a sports mode function, I really doubt it can keep up with professional badminton players. It might be better with amateur players but I have not tried this out in practice.

Unfortunately, because of the dpreview review on the 350D, I bought that camera and had to ditch it for the new camera! That costs me a lot of money:(. Those people are writing a review for the masses. Badminton is a demanding sport for photographers and equipment. I cannot view it as the perfect alternative to a SLR. Otherwise, why would I be using an SLR?;)

Possibly but it depends on which model of SLR.

My friend has the older Sony DSLR (forgot which model) but was unhappy with the results of swimming pictures that he takes of his daughter at competition. He borrowed a Canon 20D and said 'wow' at the difference in results. He's planning on getting a 40D now.

#16 Cheung, Oct 11, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  17. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    Of cause u are happy! That percentage is relatively high!
    Hey what about the pics of Macau Open final? Are u free now?:D