stringing standing up or sitting down?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Mar 1, 2011.

1. CovinaStringer

CovinaStringer Regular Member

Industrial Engineer/Stringer
    Yes I did. Before the mode the diablo would loosen after so many pulls. I liked how Gamma used a bearing, so I adapted it to my Wise. All I had to do was tap a thread for the Gamma. 8mm IIRC.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the issue i have with the Gamma diablo is that it rotates.

Gamma seems to design the diablo for the sole purpose of aligning the string perpendicular to the gripper, so the string enters the jaws aligned.

however, what Gamma don't handle is that the diablo can also serve the purpose of having friction on the diablo itself so it reduces the tension of the string when it actually enters the gripper, this reduces the gripping force of the gripper and reduce potential damage to the string.

3. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    [MENTION=70225]CovinaStringer[/MENTION] - Did you end up building your own foot pedal for the Wise?
    You mentioned that a simple SPST switch and some soldering skills is enough to DIY.

Is this sufficient for a footswitch (guitar footswitch):

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products...Footswitch.htm

and purchase a 1/4 inch mono to 1/8 inch mono adapter?

Thanks.

4. CovinaStringer

CovinaStringer Regular Member

Industrial Engineer/Stringer
    I think it should work. It's a simple switch. All you are doing is closing the circuit. I've seen a couple of foot switches on eBay for real cheap. I would probably buy something like this from Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042903&p_id=7132&seq=1&format=2 But shipping would cost more than the part itself, unless you buy other items with it.

Did you get an older WISE? They don't have a switch on the gripper, thus a need for the foot switch. It's been a while since I've used my Wise. I was thinking of selling it, but I don't need the money that bad.

5. DarthHowie

Thanks for the quick reply. I have the newer wise (version 11?) where there is a button at the end of the gripper. I have been doing some reading on the different types of switches..I'm pretty sure that I specifically need a "non momentary" SPST switch (simple on/off) when i press it. My understanding is that a momentary switch stays on if i keep my foot on the switch.

Thanks for the link. I think i can find a local source for an adapter that converts a 1/4 inch mono to 1/8 inch (3.5mm) mono. If not..i'm pretty sure www.dealextreme.com would have something.

6. DarthHowie

So I ended up buying the guitar footswitch ($19) linked in a previous post along with a 1/4 inch (6.5mm) mono to 1/8 inch (3.5mm) mono adapter ($1). Keep in mind that the Wise 2086 footswitch is $40 USD + shipping + duties for those not living in USA.

The footswitch came with 1/4 inch microphone cable. i plugged it into the footswitch and the other end to my adapter connected to the WISE. So I press the button (till it clicks)....and nothing happens.

Any electricians? Is it the cable? The adapter..and/or the footswitch? I'm tempted to open up the switch.

Thanks in advance.

7. DarthHowie

So i disassembled the gripper plate with button on my Wise and took the footswitch i bought to my friendly electronics store. It turns out that the switch used by the Wise is actually a momentary switch and not an "on/off" switch. Unfortunately i cannot get a refund on the switch i purchased. I ended up going back to the music store and bought a momentary foot pedal which is used for Keyboards ($12 + tax). I was lucky that they had one with a 3.5mm mono plug and not the 6.5mm mono one.

Results:
    So I tested the pedal out on my machine and it works like a charm. This is a good alternative to the official WISE 2086 pedal which is $40 USD + shipping.

** There is one caveat with using the switch. When you first turn on the Wise 2086, the test is automatically executed. Keep your foot pressed on the pedal as the tensioner moves all the way to the end during the test, otherwise it will error code with 2. When the tensioner starts to return back to the starting position you can release your foot from the pedal.

*** I bought the Roland DP-2m (m = miniplug). The link below is to the model that uses the 1/4 inch (6.5mm) plug. An adapter is only $1
    http://www.roland.com/products/en/DP-2/

Happy stringing everyone!

#67 DarthHowie, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014