Fast Feet / Chinese Footwork

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by nbonkowsky, May 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

that looked brutal - but fun

2. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    @Kwun: That is awesome great work.

Here are some other excercises that I mix in with the previous ones.

[video=youtube;bFKAnvg_RQE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFKAnvg_RQE[/video]

30 seconds work followed by 30 seconds active rest (keep moving)

1. Split Hop
    -Staggered behind, shoulder width, staggered in front

2. Rotation Hops ("Scissor kick" hops)
    -Like playing a shot in the back court

3. Rebound Jumps
    -Straight legs, using calf/upper body
    -High jump, small rebound, High jump
    -Explode up on the high jump

4. Mountain Climbers
    -Push up position, staggered legs
    -Switch legs back and forth as fast as possible, knee to chest

5. Full squat calf jumps
    -Full squat down, jump up using just calf power, arms behind back

6. Single legged hops
    -"Straight" leg using calf
    -30 seconds per leg

7. Single leg square jump
    -Jump in a square, land and go
    -30 seconds per leg, 15 seconds each direction per leg

8. Single leg side to side hops
    -30 seconds per leg

9. Single leg forward backward hops
    -30 seconds per leg

10. Lateral Bounds
    -Land on one foot load and push off as fast as possible
    -Work towards distance and height

3. proddy

proddy Regular Member

Student
    Q: Does it matter what surface I do the excercise on at home? I have tiles and wood inside the house, ceramic tiles outside and on the street. There is an area at the gym (not badminton) where the floor is similar to a badminton court, but I don't think the other people would appreciate me bouncing around next to the free weights.

Wow, I thought you were starting the demonstration for some of the later excercises and thought "Damn, that's fast, I don't think I can go that fast". Then you start the actual routine and my jaw hit the ground.

I especially liked the switch lunges, looked like you were doing that shuffle dance.

4. cyberlettuce

cyberlettuce Regular Member

Very impressive stuff! I will try some of those exercises and see how I get on. Thanks for sharing :eek: :D

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i don't think it matters. as long as it is a surface that is sturdy and safe to do exercise on. it should be ok. i'd avoid surfaces that are too hard like concrete which maybe bad for your knees in the long run.

6. nbonkowsky

Athlete/Coach
    I agree with Kwun, as long as your not on concrete then it will be fine. That being said I have done that on a concrete/tile floor before and it didnt kill my legs but just dont do it all the time on a hard surface.

Oh haha, thanks when I do it at that "fast" speed it feels a little slow to me and I've just been trying to go even harder and push it to the max that I can do.

Haha if I do that in a public place people aways stop and watch since they havnt seen anything like it before. It is one of the cooler looking ones though for sure.

Well best of luck with it and keep working hard.

7. proddy

proddy Regular Member

Student
    Cheers guys.

8. jajvirta

jajvirta Regular Member

Programmer
    Thanks for the videos and the information.

One question though: does anyone have ideas on how to measure progress in this department?

I do believe that plyometric exercises such as these give me the greatest benefit for my overall game, but I'm also interested in tracking my progress just for curiosity and further motivation. I know there's a device that measures simply how high one jumps (based on how long you stay up in the air), but I don't have access to such facilities.

9. nbonkowsky

Athlete/Coach
    jajvirta,

The simplest way that I can think and have used to measure it is simply the amount of reps that you can do per each 30 second interval. Since as you get fitter and stronger from this and also doing other workouts the intensity/number that you can keep/do over the entire set increases. So you should be able to see yourself able to do a few extra reps per interval of each thing as time progresses.

You can then use that as your base and always try to at least match if not exceed it, I know that eventually there will be a ceiling on how much you can do in the 30 seconds that's when you just make sure you always meet the max you can do and go hard. Hope that helps.

10. alexh

alexh Regular Member

It's easy to measure your vertical jump. You need a wall, a chair, a tape measure and a piece of chalk.

Smash up the chalk to make chalk dust. Cover the fingers of one hand in dust. Stand against the wall, reach up as high as you can without jumping (keep your feet flat on the ground) and make a chalk mark on the wall. Then get some more chalk dust on your fingers, jump as high as you can, and reach up and make another mark. Stand on the chair and measure the distance between the two marks. That's how high you jumped.

11. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Nick, how are you?

Thanks for the vid. I was tired after the Rebound Jumps already... and this was from just watching the video! All good stuff though.

How effective would something like this be if the time was reduced to say, 20 seconds. We're not all as young and energetic as you. Plus there's that gimpy ankle as well.

12. nbonkowsky

Athlete/Coach
    I am doing pretty well, letting my hand tendons heal so lots of footwork but taking a little break for Christmas.

Reducing it to 20 seconds would still be effective for sure, you can also modify the 30 second one to go easy for the 1st 10 seconds and then hard for the last 20 seconds or do moderate/decent speed for the first 20 seconds and then hard for the last 10 seconds. Can also do a even split of easy/moderate for 15 seconds and hard for 15 seconds.

Hope that helps and that everything works out and is going great for you out there.

13. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Awesome vids. I'll try some at home and on my recreational badminton days. Although I'll start off easy with just 10 secs instead of 30 secs. :p

14. betazone

betazone Regular Member

nbonkowsky,
    awesome stuff, I hv been doing 1 set per week, cannot imagine the frequency you are doing man !

btw it really helps and now I can dig up those shots I normally miss !!:)

15. nbonkowsky

Athlete/Coach
    betazone that Is awesome I am glad to hear that you have been seeIng Improvements In your game from It. I have been doIng It 3 tImes a week recently just to keep myself actIve ontop of footwork, weIghts, and on court drIlls. keep It up and hope that It contInues to help yourgame

16. jajvirta

jajvirta Regular Member

Programmer
    Heh, I did one round of the first set and I've gotta to admit that my first goal is just to manage to do it properly once. It's tough! But fun too. :)