Definition of Beginner, Intermediate & Advanced

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by mongoose, May 17, 2006.

1. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

lol that's a good one!

2. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Well said Jim, really well said.;)

I happily declare that I belong to Group 4 although I am not only slightly but actually very much overweight!!! :p :D

Seriously though, it is very much the reception and the attitude of the members of the group make me decide if I will join the second time, and not so much of the skill level gap. I donot really mind if I won or lost most of the matches as long as the group I played with donot mind my company and I enjoy their company too!

3. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

Hehe! I love this post! Lol!!!
    I would fall right between 3 & 4.

4. sg2303

sg2303 Regular Member

shuttlecock picker
    i think this rating system is quite interesting... maybe everyone can use it to rate themselves (truthfully) and have it under our nickname... so it'll be easier for people to locate the kind of players they are looking for...:)

5. zolatw

zolatw New Member

yeah I'm group 4!

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    problem with this system is too technique specific. What if i could execute some in catergory 5 but lack couple of skills found in level 3.5? If i give u 5 players each ranked as 4.0 using your system, i bet they all play diffferently, and if they compete among themselves, one or 2 of the 5 players would beat other 2-3 easily and yet they all could be called a 4.0

Even the ibf ranking system isnt great. If one plays lots of tournament, u can pick up lotta points. Take for ex, in the 06 US open, the MS final, the #79 japanese guy beat a #24 canadian guy.

#46 cooler, Aug 20, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  7. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Grouping

Hi Jimmy,
    I like yr classification lah.:D Me old grp 4.........play,miss, smile n go home.:p
    Dont give a crap of whether win or loss???:eek: Just sweat it out and enjoy the games.:D
    Lee:)

8. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

Based on all the discussions above ,perhaps apart from beginner/intermediate/advanced, there should be an additional description to explain the 'attitude' of the group.

The suggested classification is LEISURE / COMPETITIVE. EG: INTERMEDIATE - LEISURE, BEGINNER - LEISURE, INTERMEDIATE - COMPETITIVE.

Leisure meaning that thought the players are of a certain skill level, they play for fun, and if you are a weaker player, they are willing to say, reduce the power of their smash, keep the rally going, rather than going for the kill.

On the other hand, there is competitive which means that the players aim to give 100% in every match, no chance given, kill any weak shot etc.

This is something like the group 3 / group 4 suggested by others.

onomnomyaki likes this.
  9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    hmmm,

a good guide indeed.... bravo my friend...
    rgds

10. flyingfox

flyingfox Regular Member

all group 4 folks love Jimmy..

11. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

Grading Badminton Skills

I'm a bit confused on the postings on the level of play/players.

Beginner
    Intermediate
    Advanced
    Professional???

How do you define each level and know which level you're at?

12. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    I think I can answer the 'Professional' one. Professional would be playing for money? I think..

The rest.. usually depends on opinion..? Haha. Most usually have different methods of judging.

13. JasonMichael

JasonMichael Regular Member

IT consultant
    Beginner - Does not know how to hold the racquet correctly.

Intermediate - Hold's the racquet correctly and have some form of basic footwork with some consistent basic shots such as lobs, drops and smashes eg around 60% of the shots produced always go to the intended directions

Advanced - Those that have mastered some of the basic shots and improvised on it. tend to be much better than intermediates on difficult shots such as back hand, chops and smashes(eg might be jump smashes). They are also the ones that usually reach the quarters of semis of some good tournaments.

Professional - Have probably won some titles here and there and probably is a full time badminton player that is dedicated to badminton perfection.

Jason.

14. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Complete beginner: Less than 10 hours court time, no real knowledge of grips etc. Can hit shuttles back over but no/very little control. Due to the lack of skill, I would not introduce a complete beginner to doubles.

Beginner: Has knowledge of grips and can sometimes apply that knowledge in games ie: using backhand thumb grip for a backhand drive. Can return most shots with a degree of control. I would allow a beginner to play doubles but the result probably wouldn't be too great.

Intermediate: Applies a variety of grips in games to enable greater control and power over difficult shots. Can return all but the most difficult shots. They play the best shot they can for the majority of situations and use a variety of shots to try and overcome their opponent. They attempt deception but it is often easily read. In doubles, they have spacial awareness of both sides of the court. They move in to positions that are beneficial for themselves and their partner and play shots that are challenging for their opponents to return.

Advanced: A player who regularly represents their club and has a strong allround game. They are difficult to beat and have a shot for almost all circumstances. The can use slice to deceive the opponent as well as dummying shots before playing a dropshot. They use the court effectively and punish mistakes. In doubles, they (and a partner of a similar level) can split their opponents and open up space to finish the rally. They punish mistakes and very rarely get in their partner's way or make bad mistakes.

Professional: At least as good as or better than an advanced player. I regard a professional player as someone who is sponsored and/or plays tournaments for money.

15. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    How Do You Grade Badminton Skills?

Perhaps a different sort of guide will be of help:

1. Beginners - One guy's trousers are on the verge of descent... and the other's shoes are about to come off. Beginners have almost no game skills but do know how to hit the shuttle around (and down). Here's another example and yet another example.

2. Intermediates - Those nearer to the camera are intermediate players having fun against two others who are obviously beginners. Intermediates have good game skills and, when moving around, are aware of player positions, net height and the size of the playing area. Here's another example.

3. High Intermediates - These are better than Intermediates in that their on-court awareness level and game skills are higher. Here's another example.

4. Advanced - These players could have made it to the senior national squad in one of the top badminton-playing nations but either lost out to better peers or chose not to pursue such a career. Of course, should they migrate even today to, say, Armenia or Bhutan, they would reign as the national champion for at least a decade. Here's another example.

5. Professional - These are players that have gained varying but high levels of mastery over both the physical and mental aspects of advanced badminton. Their skills are finely honed and they devise and execute strategies on the move. They can sustain a rally until the perfect opportunity for a kill arises. Here's another example and yet another example.

Special Categories:

I. Retards - This group largely comprises idiots who were on holiday when brains were being distributed. The others in this group want us to believe they're having fun. When encountering such individuals, an act of most tender mercy would be 'shoot at sight', preferably with a large-calibre gun. Here's another example and yet another example and yet yet another example.

II. Pros In The Making - For the most part, these are youngsters determined to make their way up. They have excellent listening skills, possess a willingness to develop strength & stamina, and display a commitment to hard work while still having fun. Here's another example.

III. Gods - They create magic with empty spaces, a frame, taut strings, a feathered cork and their presence. They are ambassadors for everything that's wonderful about badminton... and then some. Here's another example and yet another example.

16. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

wait, so Taufik is a God, or just a Professional?
    Or is he The Professional god? =D

17. tony531

tony531 Regular Member

you guys forgot elite, which is between professional and advanced.

18. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Beginner
    Fresh start on badminton, learning how to play badminton (Grip, footwork, hit, reflex initiative, etc). This guy can't do things right yet. Especially when they're fighting with Intermediate or higher level. They don't even stand a chance.

Intermediate
    Learned how to do things right. Learning more technique, tactics, better and faster footwork, using wrist instead of shoulder, and more experience compared to the beginners. This one is capable in coordinating themselves, and playing good. Capable in fighting advanced, at least giving a fight.

Advanced
    In this level, I'd say there are certain degree of level. As I believe, those who are in Advanced is capable in putting the ball (Shuttlecock) where they want them. These people is capable in using all the basic available in badminton as part of their technique. Has a lot better footwork, speed, reflexes, tactics, etc. Basically they're on the place where they can enjoy playing badminton compared to Beginner-Intermediate.

Professional
    Chosen Advanced. Advanced which is spotted by Badminton Scout, have professional Contract, playing for certain club, school, any institute, or countries. This is actually can be called another advanced, and can be defeated by advanced (since I'd say people who's actually good, and not called for International Duty, refusing to join another club, and enjoying leisure playing can still be called Advanced, which is in fact s|he's probably very good).

Just an opinion xD...

19. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I would say Taufik is good enough to be called both at once :D.

20. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    God would have use two racquet to play...

No need backhand!