Six-Point Suspension Vs. Six-Point Internal

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Pete LSD, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Valentinas

Valentinas Regular Member

consultant
    Hi Pete

I decided not to change the bottom plate because it was not enough information for me to make decision. It is obvious that stringway supports are placed near the T joint and there is a lot of material around. Since I can not calculate or measure or take x-ray photo or do something like that to evaluate the change of stress when widening supports I decided not to change the construction.

Regards,

Valentinas

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Why do you need to calculate or measure or take x-ray photo or do something like that is beyond me!

3. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Pardon my frankness. Without any prove, I find that this thread has been infested with Stringway & "potentially" LaserFibre agents/supporters. The original intent of this thread is to showcase to the readers the new LaserFibre stringing machine. For both parties, please keep your stories in the tennis forum(s).

4. KingO

KingO Regular Member

RN
    Thanks Pete. I agree that this thread has gone way off topic.

It is probably not my place to say, and I appologize to the moderators in advance if I am overstepping my bounds. Personally, I feel that it was inappropriate for Stringtechno to promote their products/mounting, while degrading what seems to be the stringing industry standard "6 pt mounting", especially on a thread with a title containing "LaserFibre" (Stringway's former North American distributor). It is one thing for a consumer to be passionate about their purchase and promote one product over another, but for a manufacturer/supplier to do so in a forum like this, I feel is inappropriate.

#64 KingO, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc

Stringing machines should be designed to meet the need of the customers. We have come a long way from the days of wooden racquets used in badminton, when the safest way to string a racquet was using a one-pc stringing job starting with the mains and then doing the crosses from the throat end towards the top, in the interest of safety from racquet breakage.
    In badminton the highest tension must be at the top part of the stringbed, in particular from tensions from the crosses, and starting the crosses from the top with a real starting knot is the gold standard for the best playability. Typically, the first two cross strings at the top are strung at a tension that is 15% higher than the mains tension, the next 12 strings are strung at a tension 12% higher than the mains, and the remaining crosses bar the last one at 10% higher than the mains, and the last cross at the throat end at 20% higher than the mains. Stringing the crosses from the bottom towards the top will take the modern game of badminton to a much lower standard. You may want to keep this mind.

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    In the interests of free, unadulterated speech, here we go: :)

Unless it is clear that a post contains commercial advertising or disguised commercial elements, anyone is free to post comments, arguments, likes or dislikes.

If you don't agree with something, it's open to you to disagree and also state what your disagreement is based on. As an option, you could also ignore what you don't agree with.

Curbing something merely because it looks like an opinion or a statement from a manufacturer or some other vested interest is not going to be of any help to anyone.

7. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

I just think there isnt as much energy transferred to the walls as many people think. Why is it that a 2 point hold down machine can string upwards to 30 lbs and a suspension machine needs 6 points to safely go that high? Its cause we cant measure how much energy is being transferred to the frame, to bend it. Therefor all theories pretty much go out the windows, and only real life situations of "safe" stringing parameters can be observed and credited.

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    2-point holddown system has limits on stringing at very high tension, if you string the crosses from the top at 15% higher tension than the mains. However, it is very popular with professional stringers who count on large throughput or volume because it is the most speedy machine to string. At tensions above 30lbs, most stringers with 2-point machines revert to one-pc stringing or to stringing the crosses from the middle but at the expense of playability.
    In badminton the racquet is compressible from the sides and from the top, the former on the top half and the latter also on the top half. It is very important to maintain this status quo after stringing at very high tension, i.e. the shape must be exactly the same before and after stringing. It is also very important from a playability point to have the highest tension at the top half. Whether it is 2-point, 4-point, or 6-point the most important place to look for to prevent any "squeezing" of the top frame downwards is the waist location, i.e. 4-5 o'clock and 7-8 o'clock. Lock down these locations securely and the major problem to very high tension stringing with the crosses starting at the top will be no problem.

9. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

So, after so many years, you finally revealed how you string. Sounds a bit like Propotional Stringing Method, with a twist. :p :D

10. stringtechno

stringtechno Regular Member

engineer
    Manufacturers on message boards, is that wrong??

I do understand the discussion about manufacturers trying to promote their products on message-boards.
    My questions are:
    * Why would message boards not be used to bring manufacturers and users in contact with each other so that the users have more influence on the design of the products?
    * What is wrong with technical information behind the design of stringing machines when everybody can give their opinion about that including other manufacturers?
    * Is it wrong when manufacturers can use the message boards to ask the opinions of users about new products (like with our cross stringing tool)?

We feel that a product can only become as good as possible when we know every detailed comment of users.

stringtechno

11. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

You have raised open points.
    However, we don't want this thread to go off-topic with a discussion on these issues.

Please stay on topic here.
    You could always ask this elsewhere in the forum :)

12. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

this is what I'm looking for ..... thanks.

#72 maa2003, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  13. KingO

KingO Regular Member

RN
    I apologize stringtechno:eek:. I did not realize that this forum does not frown on manufacturers promoting their products, unlike the TW tennis forum. Sorry!

It is irrelevant for me to address your questions here, but if you are interested, PM me and I will be glad to oblige.

KingO

14. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

You are mistaken, KingO ;)

This forum heavily frowns on any form of commercial activity.
    That includes promotional campaigns by manufacturers.

15. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Pete, could you PM me?
    I need help to identify the posts that have gone off-topic.
    This subject is beyond my lay powers of comprehension :eek:

16. KooGuy

KooGuy Regular Member

Not sure I really understand the guideline at BF...but I really appreciate your technical information provided so far. I think through feedback from members, a better stringing equipment will be developed for badminton community in the future.

17. ProStringer

ProStringer New Member

Professional Racquet Stringer
    And that's all for now...

OLDHAND: I agree with you 100% and I apologize to the real contributors to this thread.
    Don't interpret my questions as a personal attack. I was encouraged to visit this thread because of the ingenious and creative solutions by the people who first posted to this thread. In 30+ years of professional racquet sport stringing, I have admired the ability of stringers from all racquet sports to create ingenious solutions to situations and dilemmas that arise from time to time. You're never too old or too experienced to learn something.

StringTechno's posts are inappropriate for this thread. He skillfully changes the thread from "hybrid Quantum" to the theory of frame distortion according to Stringway, a competitor of Laserfibre.

I agree that freedom of speech is one thing, but blatant advertising in a forum devoted to sharing ideas about modifications to a particular machine is inappropriate and just plain wrong. Unfortunately, Stringtechno has a very long history of doing this type of thing in other forums along with friends of his.

Let's get back to the subject: Laserfibre Quantum Hybrid machines and see what stringers have come up with. Enough with the commercials.

18. blundey

blundey Regular Member

I didnt think for a second when reading this thread that techno was advertising for stringway. In fact I found his findings quite an interesting read. Again at no point did i think oh i better by a new machine!

That said, a very informative post, keep the info rolling :)

19. stringtechno

stringtechno Regular Member

engineer
    " The other way around" on a Stringway

Hi guys,

We had an internal discussion about our badminton support some time ago and we tested the new idea with some experienced badminton stringers.

The idea is simple very logical and easy to use for every stringer with a Stringway machine.
    Therefore this update;

We call it “The other way around”.
    For badminton racquets, which are always wider at the throat, it is better to support the wider head with the 3 supports and the throat with the 2 like the photo shows:
    It also improves the reach of the clamps.
    Our tests have shown that the support is better and the stringers agree.

[​IMG]
    To make it possible you can do 2 things:
    - Switch the posts around so that the stop will be at the site of the shaft again.
    - Remove the nylon stopper from the frame, which might be good for badminton anyway.

I hope you agree and I would like to hear your opinion about this.

Stringtechno
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching