CBA - End of a Golden Era in sight?

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by cobalt, Jun 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Me as the first bidder S$ 100.

2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    WooHoo...you are like LD losing to SDK in Thai SF, very generous lah;) So, what do you do with the cock?:D

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Not bad, one who appreciates the art of ZJH.

Anybody else?

BTW when I last watched the coaching tape of his with his lady colleague, I thought it was
    good.

Maybe I should set a floor price.

4. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Maybe selling stuff should not go in this thread ;) :p

5. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    If I won the bid @ S$100 what do you think?

Why keep a cock when you can't play with it (damn too expensive :D)?

I'll will start the bidding again :D

So Loh, if no more bid, it should be mine? :D

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I just got an update on ZJH from Wikipedia.

The 6' (1.83m) tall, left handed ZJH is now 47, born 21 April 1965 in Jiansu Province and his impressive record includes, among many other international victories, the following:

WC 1991 Copenhagen, DEN (beat Alan Budikusuma INA)

TC 1988 KL MAS; 1990 Tokyo JPN,representing CHN.

Asian Games 1986 Seoul, KOR and 1990 Beijing, CHN, beating Yang Yang on both occasions.

AE 1985 and 1990

However during the 1992 Olympics he lost narrowly in the rubber to Hermawan Susanto of INA during R16.

A bid of S$100 works out to barely less than S$6 a year for a memorabilia of one of the world's most talented players? Sure he is worth more than that!

Maybe if I offer it to Guangxi Province Club, of which ZJH is now head coach, they will be more appreciative and bid a much higher price!

#66 Loh, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    There has been much talk about how China's top WS girls made a mess of it in the last 2 tournaments (Thailand and Indonesia) and have shown some kinks in the armour of the Chinese WS battalion. Of course, many valid points have also been made: Don't play to chance injury, study opponents and try out new tactics, etc. Also, the chief WS coach Zhang Ning was absent, and some of the girls were left to often do their own thinking. Nevertheless, the losses to other players will not help their confidence. And there are no other players yet stepping up to fill those shoes....

8. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

i think that now, peoples' wish that CHN WS not to be too dominant is so near to be reality. let's see what would happen in OG.

9. Zhierl

Zhierl Regular Member

Greatest power China have to lesser for near future imo are WD -> WS -> MS -> XD/MD
    WD, no comment for now 'n far future
    WS, no comment for now 'n far future
    MS, LD departure 'n maybe CJ too, will big loss for China, CL still not solid, DPY/WZM still oh sooo ...
    XD, for now look safe, but who know for near future, China traditionally always have good formula to produce good XD pair
    MD, CY/FHF now near their end career, and still not new MD pop up w/ good promisingbut maybe time 'n experience will tell ...

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For WS,I still believe the situation is the least worrisome, there are a few up-and-coming players,eg Chen Xiaojia, Sun Yu, who can in time step up to the plate.

It's the MS that I'm more concerned with after Lin Dan and Chen Jin's near retirement. At the moment there's only Chen Long to pass the baton to and he's not on par with Lin Dan, at least not yet.

11. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    CBA will no longer be as dominant as before but as a team overall, they are still good enough to retain their
    Thomas Cup, Sudirman and Uber.

MS - Chen Long needs to pass his major tournament test to qualify as a Class A player like Lin Dan/Chen Jin
    WS - Overload of emerging players dont count at all. They must prove they can win big tournaments
    MD - Hopeless, only Chai Biao is competent at least
    WD - Unless other foreign pairs grow a pair (lol)
    XD - Still dominant but only just. ZZ could play on until 2016 depending on ZYL's desire but Ma Jin needs to find a partner smarter than Xu Chen

After Sudirman Cup 2013, we will see a bunch of rookies/faces a lot of people globally cannot recognise playing for China. Still they are strong enough as a team overall

12. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

the chinese team suffer in SO SS, after last week just won 1 title in IO SSP. yep, the golden era is now questionable.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The pre-Olympic tourneys are producing some strange results not just for CHN but others as well, eg Sho Sasaki, Lee Hyun Il, Shon Wan Ho, Kenichi Tago,Taufik Hidayat, and so forth. I wouldn't read too much into it yet, wait till after the Olympics.

14. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    None of the top Chinese players are playing in SO. And LD and CY/FHF were not playing in IO. If China fails to win at least 3 Golds in London, then we can say the golden era is questionable.

15. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

hmm, 3 gold medals in OGs, is that the gold standard to measure chinese depth and power in badminton? when did the trend start? did they even win just 1 or 2 since they participated?

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For me, as long as CHN wins the most number of major titles, individual and team events, more than any other countries, that's good enough to count as her Golden Era; total or near total domination isn't necessary, unlike table-tennis where her paddlers in both men and women are even more dominant than her shuttlers.

17. bdfreak87

bdfreak87 Regular Member

i do remember watchin an interview with LYB, he does said CHN ultimate goal is of course winning all of the OG medals, but minimum goal medals to be won is at least 3, or else its considered mission fail..

18. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

hmm, what a standard. :) too ambitious?

19. flite

flite Regular Member

The golden era for CBA was the TC team of the 80's not the current one. All 3 of their singles players were almost untouchable even though teams of other nations were comparatively stronger/more balanced overall than now. It was more towards the decline in standard of China's opponents rather than the superiority of its current line-up of players. Oth, their women are as dominant as ever.

Just imagine CBA has YY, XGB and ZJH in their prime participating in the LOG rather than LD, CL and CJ. The rest can forget about the gold and silver to say the least. The same cannot be applied to their current MS.

So what golden generation we are talking about here?

#79 flite, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  20. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

wow. they were really that great back then? so, let's start calling this generation as silver one rather than gold. :D