Beginner - Racket Recommendation Please

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by hasddd, Feb 8, 2013.

1. hasddd

hasddd New Member

Hey Everyone,

First time poster, but been lurking around for a while.

I started playing badminton about 8 months ago. Before that my only experience with badminton was during gym class.

I prefer being offsenvie (I love smashing). I haven't had any issues with soreness or tiredness from using other people's rackets.

I have no preference on brand. My budget is $150 Canadian.

Thanks Everyone!

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i would suggest getting an all round racket like the yonex arcsaber series. go to the store and pick a few up and see how they feel in your hands. wilson might have a few rackets that suits you as well. carlton also has a few that's even balance like the arcsaber series. i think the low end victor bravesword could be a good choice as well.

by the way, $150 will be more than what you need from a racket if you're just starting out.

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

If you like smashing and want good value, take a look at the Victor Tornado 662. It's less than $100.
    http://www.unitedcycle.com/vpd/Victor/Tornado-662/2042633/products.do

It's mid flex, a bit head heavy and just loves to smash . Not too heavy for defence though.
    My son won one, but it's a bit too much for his little arm, so I took it off his hands. ;) Once the dead factory strings were replaced this thing really sings. Anyhow, that's one option. Good luck. :)

4. eclipes

eclipes Regular Member

i just bought the Apacs lethal 90 and Tantrum 300. You will like it especially at a beginner level. We have Apacs Warehouse in Toronto so it will be easier to get stuff. Go on apacscanada and email the owner Kam Yau

5. Vomit

Vomit Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I would say go for a reasonably even balance racket, is it mainly doubles you're playing?

Not sure how much they are over there but look at the Arcsaber 7 or if you wanted a bit more head heavy, voltric 7.

6. hasddd

hasddd New Member

Thanks for the info guys.

I've been looking at reviews for the voltric 7 and I'm leaning towards this.

Are there any other brands that have similar price/quality?

7. Vomit

Vomit Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I always used to stick with Yonex but recently experimenting with new rackets. Recently picked up a Victor MX80 - very impressed with the racket but I don't know how the rest of their range is.

There are a few brands that make yonex equivalents/clones whatever you want to call them like apacs, ashaway, tactic - they will certainly be a lot cheaper but I believe the general consensus to be they are not as good. Though that said I'm trying out a Ashaway Arch Striker 10...

Most important thing is how a racket feels to you, it would be worth looking up a retailer in your area that will let you try before you buy. If that's not possible I don't think you can go wrong with the Voltric 7 :)

8. meteor

meteor Regular Member

Hi Vomit how do you feel today :) Glad you like mx80 it used to be my racket too. Ashaway and Apacs don't do yonex clones.

9. Vomit

Vomit Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Not too bad thanks. Very well if you don't want them called 'clones', they're counterparts or equivalents. My point being they do(or did) rackets with similar stats and visuals to yonex. For example the Yonex Arc Saber 10 -theres an Apacs Edge Saber 10 and an ashaway arch striker 10.

10. amleto

amleto Regular Member

still gonna have to call you on Ashaway. They do not make counter parts/equivalents. The arch striker you mentioned is nothing at all like the arc10 in appearance or construction. The rest of their line doesn't look like yonex either.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    another nod to Arcsaber 7. Good quality racket, forgiving enough for beginners and all around balance.

Voltric 7 is stiffer and not as good for beginners.

12. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    Li Ning N50 II , Kason F9 are powerful rackets everyone can play with, and they are good for everything Mixed Double Singles.(But I think they are to expensive in Canada, in Germany you can get them for ~160 CAD, 120 € (with strings) )
    If you are looking for a light and powerful racket maybe you should try Karakal SL70. ~80 CAD

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i would definitely not recommend stiff racket for beginners.

14. Kingslayer

Kingslayer Regular Member

N/A
    For a general all round racket, you should consider the arcsaber series from yonex.
    Good all round victor rackets would be the meteor x60 and the bravesword 10. Both rackets are not super stiff, so it should be more forgiving. Also, both rackets are able to go up to a tension of 28lbs, so you can continue using the same racket and change the tension as you progress onwards.Price wise, it is not as expensive as the high end yonex rackets.
    Personally, I like the mx60 more as it is a tad bit heavier, so I can have more oomph in my smashes but I do not have to compromise my speed at net and defense:)

15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

BraveSword 10???

16. Vomit

Vomit Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Be sure to let us know what you decide on!

17. Orangejam

Orangejam New Member

check out a sotx woven 8! super balanced but they are a little uncommon in canada. took me a while to even find a recent for sale one here