Playing level mixed

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by DuckFeet, Jul 1, 2013.

1. catman

catman Regular Member

No, not really - there is no excuse for hitting something behind you when you know your partner is there. Perhaps you should just lift the shuttle and play side by side.

2. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Noooooo!

Actually, it could be worse, lady could lift and not move to side to defend... I nearly walked off court in a match for some partner doing that.

3. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

We have the opposite problem at my club. Most of the ladies attempt far too few intercepts. To be fair to them, it isn't helped with some of the male players who treat them like glorified net ornaments. However, if I had a quid for every decent smash (steep, just inside straight defender) which gets blocked/pushed 'though' my partner to the open mid-court...

Personally, I think that good mixed should be as close to level as possible. It is, after all, doubles. As all but a couple of shots are predominantly skill, I don't subscribe to 'weak ladies shall be chained to the T'. However, how's this for an idea when you lady isn't strong enough for the rear-court:

When defending, if the lady can intercept by moving sideways and/or forward, then it's her shot. Otherwise it's your (the man's) shot.

Would enable your lady to come back to defend the x-court effectively without her getting stuck in the rear-court. Obviously, if your lady is strong enough, then you can (and should) play level.

4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Well, the more equal the partners are, the more you should play like level-doubles.
    Unfortunately, usually women are weaker then men. Therefore, this special issue of MX-tactics arises. The better you get, the fewer women can play as strong as you play... For a intermediate club-player, there's often enough a woman (from a higher league team or so) with whom this player may play level doubles, just because the two are equally good.

If the men's standard is above a certain level, women just can't compete in level-doubles.

5. catman

catman Regular Member

My issue is with people who refuse to learn the strategy and tactics of the game. Skill and Technique requires certain physical abilities - so people might not be able to help the level at which they play the game. However, regardless of your skill level - if you know the strategy, you can atleast try to do the correct things. I don't have a problem if people are attempting to hit the correct shot and miss. But in most cases they hit wrong shot, stand in the wrong place and then look at you and ask why didn't you get that? You're much better than me?

My usual response is "which team are you playing for? Cause you're supposed to set me up not them!":eek:

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Lol Let it out. I have experienced this heavily too, but this happens to me more when playing with highly capable male singles players in level than it does in mixed. "It's like 3 v 1" is my response

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    yea she's actually a better straight doubles player than anything else, unfortunately, still not as strong as or as quick as me so when she is in the back she has a hard time clearing from baseline to baseline while running for a shuttle.

yea, i've played with these women as well, but they are from the same church and i play for fun, it's actually great training, since i'm running a U shape around her standing in the middle, it helps with my reaction time and judgement on shuttle placement :)

my problem with my partner is that her reaction is not fast enough to give her enough time to prepare for a shot. i smash, the opponent does a quick low short lift, but just fast enough to go thru her, but since she's short she can take a step back and still use her wrist strength to get it and so that opens up for my opponents to attack.

agree!

8. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I've quit this XD pair from the OP. Only two or three games left of the season anyway.

Tonight she did some good net kills but against one decent pair she got 30% of her serve in and what seemed like 50% of her shots resulted in me getting hit or easy point for them. That is not fun regardless of how much you are outmatched. There is no excuse for not being able to serve imo.

Sorry for ranting, some people are just on a different wavelength so I cut my losses. A mate pointed out that I was "tactically arrogant" which I agreed with. I was baiting the man with smashes and counter attacking. Ho hum. My smash is weak right now but mixed is played differently for a reason. Men's match next!

9. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

@gundamzaku. Not sure I'm following your last post. Doesn't have the reactions to prepare for a shot? How much preparation is required to tap your already-raised racket forwards? Sounds like she's taking too large a swing.

Am also confused about her taking a step back? If you're smashing, she should be at least a racket's length behind the service line. Therefore, she's already set to intercept anything fast and can come forward to anything slower.

Apologies if I've misunderstood, but it sounds to me that you're missing a trick.

I acknowledge that women tend to be weaker than men and thus the need for mixed doubles tactics. However, I feel that the difference is vastly overstated. Doubles is doubles. The attack and defense formations are the same. All that changes are the set-up for when the man is serving or receiving serve & some slight shot selections.

I empathize with DuckFeet. I had a mixed yesterday and was completely out-of-sync with my partner. We ended up losing to blokes that I thrash in mens'.

10. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    it's ok sir, tomorrow's another day, at least that's what i tell myself :)

11. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    ...and new season will bring a new partner.

Predict I will be making a new thread "ladies who don't move off the Top to defend"...