RKEP PRO6000 PRO9000 badminton racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Squash Eric, Feb 4, 2012.

1. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

The XP range is an improvement over both the Pro6000 and Pro9000. The Pro6000 for me wasn't very powerful but like I said before, quite fast. The XP80 is even faster and is more powerful. Now that I think about it, the XP80 is like an evolved version of the Pro6000. I've also used the Pro9000 a few times but that to me was sluggish, but many others in this thread are enjoying the Pro9000 so that is just my personal preference.

When compared to the MX60, the XP80 just flies. They are supposed to be of similar stiffness but I find the XP80 a tad more flexible than the MX60. The XP80 is also both more powerful and faster (despite my MX60 being 4U). That could just be my technique and style of play. In the right hands, the MX60 can also be a beast.

I think the RKEP rackets are headed in the right direction. They may not have a huge following but I hope Eric continues to produce quality rackets.

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Further from my previous testing earlier I'm back with a "follow up"

This week, I've been able to get some doubles hours in with the XP-70, and what a great doubles racket this thing is! Played some competitive club matches and decided that I would trust the racket enough to use it for these matches ahead of my SW35 (which I took with me in my bag just in case!)

Firstly just from warming up, I was really happy with the racket from a defensive perspective. Blocking, driving whatever, it will do it, and do it well. This thing is quick, I think slightly slower than NanoSpeed series (I haven't played with mine in a long while now, such was the dominance of the SW35 so can't really compare)

Moving on to our matches, and again, defensively it really does shine. Picking up our opponents attack was for me quite easy, even turning the shuttle to counter attacks was quite productive due to its light feel. However unlike with other rackets, the light feel doesn't sacrifice the power aspect. It's no AT700/N90, but pound for pound the smash produced is better than what it should be, and still enough to finish off opponents.

Off topic(slightly): I did have a "relapse" earlier this week and had a shot of the SW35. I still love that thing, it does everything right for me, however for now, it stays in the bag. The XP-70 is on a good run for me at the moment, I'm still waiting for one of those "difficult" training sessions (where nothing goes right for you) for it to really go through it's paces! :p

I'm really tempted to try the XP-60 now, but I'm in a dilemma. If I don't like it, I'll kick myself for getting it instead of a XP-70, but if I do like it more than the XP-70, I'll kick myself for not waiting and going for the XP-60. Still I like the stiffness if the XP-70 a lot more than I thought I would. :) and if anything, the racket is actually aesthetically very nice looking! :)

3. visor

visor Regular Member

if you can handle the sw35, you should get the xp60 ... but get it in the heavier range of 88-89g if you're playing singles

my xp70 is slightly less stiff than mx70, and has a very useful whip to it to help generate power, eg. backhand clear, compact smash... easier than mx70

strange thing this xp70, it has both the speed and power, and i don't see any compromise to accuracy either... so that MPF (=magic power frame) designation at the top of the frame must mean something... :p :D

4. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I know I should get it, but I'm quite happy with the XP-70 :) I know it is not as stiff but it's working for now :p and yes as you say, the accuracy isn't compromised! Serving perfectly in doubles is a fine art and I didn't make one error on serve in any of the matches (quite a feat. :p) even smashing and stuff was accurate, where I wanted it placed was where it went. The whole point of the stiffer racket is to get better accuracy and power if you can handle it, but the XP-70 is already very racket and the whip is very useful. Makes me wonder whether Eric has any 87-88 XP-70 models that I can use for singles instead? Might take a XP-60 as well.

Decisions decisions!!! :p

Edit: the Magic does work it seems in the "MPF" :p

5. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

How stiff is the XP70 compared to a Yonex VT80 or RKEP Pro9000?

6. jamaljenkins

jamaljenkins Regular Member

Student.
    I'm quite interested in the XP80, and after reading other comments comparing it w/ the MX60, I'm down to choosing between the XP80 and the YY VT70. Anyone who has played with both can provide some comparisons? Since they're both mid-flex & HH.
    Stiffness?
    Power?
    Speed (4U VT70 vs 83g 295mm XP80)
    Control?
    I'm on a limited budget that would allow only 1 of the 2 and I might try to borrow the VT70 from a friend soon.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

stiffness: vt80 >> pro9000 > xp70
    head heaviness: vt80 >> xp70 > pro9000

based on actual hitting with birds

#467 visor, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  8. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

Rkep xp70

20130113_140530.jpg 20130113_140434.jpg

the RKEP XP70 racket.........86g/295bp............

received this racket from Eric almost 4 weeks ago, as usual his excellent prompt replies and shipping is second to none, ordered and paid on a Saturday afternoon, posted out on Sunday and received on Wednesday, beat that!

now on to this green stick here, 86g/295bp is the heaviest combo among whats left in his inventory, without hesitation click on the buy button. upon receiving it, i noticed that it was rated as 4UG2, i was expecting a 3u rather. the build quality and cosmetic finishing of the racket is up on par with those big established brands.

but nonetheless, i proceed to let my stringer strung it with NBG98 at 25lbs with Gosen's Haribito method. racket was strung on a friday night and the next day i used it during my regular saturday evening session.

during the warm up session, this green stick felt like a plank, almost had no feel at all. i had needed to put in more effort than usual for the baseline clears during the warm ups. the first game for the green stick, i had to adjust to the fast swing of it and had quite a few mishits etc....all those usual errors you made while learning to get used to a new racket. i carried on using it for the next few games in the session. at the end of the session, it didnt really leave an impression in my mind, except that its a fast swinger.

fast forward to after 2 more weekend sessions, now this racket has evolved into a different beast altogether now. as i kept on using the racket more often for games during the past two weekend sessions, it began to show its true colours. Baseline clears are more easier now probably due to the shaft being broken-in, dropshots from baseline are precise and smashes packed a punch. overall now the power generation from the racket is effortless. during games play, the fast swing of the frame allows me to get out of tight spots more easier than before and it also benefits fast drive exchanges.

#468 alana07, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  9. visor

visor Regular Member

j4ckie,

how're you finding the XP70? I'm curious what you think about it in comparison with your bs9, 10, and 11. :) Imo I'd think it feels like a 10.

10. yanzhi0714

yanzhi0714 Regular Member

Student
    Strangely my taste on colour schemes go towards more dull designs. The lesser patterns the better. Black + White? :eek: Boring guy I am :p

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hey, not enough court time with it yet to write up a decent review, but I can offer a first impression...
    84g are too light for me though, I guess I'd need 86g to be really comfortable with it.
    The XP70 is super quick on defense and drives, which is my strength anyway. I had a few games where I intercepted shots I didn't think were possible to reach for me, and played some extraordinary defensive shots as well. The downside of the low weight is that my net play has suffered (as the racket head offers nearly no counterweight and thus my motions get too big or too quick at times) and my smashes aren't as powerful as with my other rackets.
    Clears are deceptively easy, as I can produce great speed with a rather small motion. Often only gripping and slight pronation are enough to send it arching to the back line, and if timed right, backhand clears are superb. BH drops are awful though as I have yet to get the timing right.
    The stiffness is somewhere between the Bs09 and 10, as it should be (the MX70, which this is modeled after, is softer than the Bs10 as well). That would make it nearly perfect for me, if I had picked the right weight :D
    Anyhow, more details later, when I've figured out how to deal with the lightness. Should I change to this racket, I'd definitely need something heavier.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

^ with light rackets, you can increase the swing wt a tad by putting on 6-8 inches of athletes tape at the 10 and 2 o'clock position on the frame

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I know, although I'm always reluctant to do that with aerodynamic frames. Had more control today, but missed my Braveswords' punch....

14. dexter980

dexter980 Regular Member

Buy victor Powerizer Lead patch. Cost only couple of dollar n doesn't affect the aerodynamics.

15. Swenmtb

Swenmtb Regular Member

Student
    Can you please give some link...i am trying to find this thing on google but with no success. Thank you!

16. ckpang

ckpang Regular Member

furniture finishing
  17. chocoboc

chocoboc Regular Member

I've been using Gamma Lead Tape from tennis-warehouse.com for couple of years. Although it doesn't look very good, but hey, it's cheaper, longer length, and works like a charm. Just cut, and then stick.

18. Swenmtb

Swenmtb Regular Member

Student
    Hello

Thank you for the links and answeres. I ended up in Hobby and Art shop, where i bought lead tape 6mm wide. I placed 2 layers on each side of the racket as is shown on the pictures. I aded 5grams and BP moved for an amazing 18mm. Wooooow what a difference.
    I didn't expect such a big weight shift towards the head of the racket. With only 5 Grams my racket transformed from head light to head heavy. As you can see the racket is Carlot Razor v1.3.I will probably shorten the lead tape on both sides of the racket so i will achive somewhere 11 or 12mm BP shift. Thank you for sugestions! I must say, that this lead tape is super cool, because it sticks well, it can be easely shaped in a curved shape...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Dang! Please don't put 5g of weight on your badminton racket head! :eek: That's just a broken shaft waiting to happen! 1-2 g should be more than enough.

20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Agreed, rackets are designed to a certain specification. When you start doing changes like these, you exceed the design capabilities of the racket (especially drastic changes) therefore, you are putting a unexpected stress on the racket.

It's worth taking note of this when making these types of changes. :)