Do you prefer isometric or oval head rackets?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by ttktom, Sep 29, 2003.

?

do you prefer Isometric or Oval?

1. Isometric

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. Oval

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Marshmallow64

Marshmallow64 Regular Member

Iso since all the top quality rackets are iso nowadays.

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Iso for me since most of the rackets available are Iso

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Most expensive does not equal to top quality. For example. Cab20 and Cab30ms are both top quality racquets. However, these are consider mid price range.

4. Marshmallow64

Marshmallow64 Regular Member

To rephrase, I mean there are a lot more choices in top quality Iso rackets compared to oval shaped. The industry seems to be heading towards Iso shaped, since most of the new designs that come out are Iso.

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    The Carbonex 'top of the line' racquets are quite resilient given its popularity with many players who used them before. CAB21 and CAB20 kept coming back with new color designs, some alleged that they are not the same as the original ones that came out years ago. They are perfectly decent racquets for their superb handling and robustness even though they are priced as mid-end racquets. The technology and material YY used to make them doesn't change as much after their re-introduction as the 'top of the line' Isos. The cost of R&D doesn't influence the pricing of the cab line as the new Isos. In this regard, the cab buyer come out ahead because he doesn't have to splurge as much to get a good racquet.

6. jeffng

jeffng New Member

Iso gives better power of smashing. The sound is even louder than Oval (personal xp). Exterior design is futuristic too. With all this point, i like it very much as it boost confidence even for a not so advanced player like me. It is a very marketable racquet in ISO shaped.

#306 jeffng, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
  7. jeffng

jeffng New Member

Iso toilet bowl is not friendly, as it will mess the top part if ur aim is not accurate(if u knw wat i mean). But I personally like ISO racquet after a few try on both (Oval and Iso). More power, more control, and more speed!

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    In nature a spherical shape offers the least resistance and every planet and star is spherical. Even a ball, be it a football, a baseball, a cricket ball, a rugby ball, a snooker ball tends towards spherical. Imagine what all these games will become if they use an iso shaped ball.;) An oval shape racquet is more aero dynamic. Its weakness is that it has a much smaller stringbed area and is not very user-friendly for people who do not consistently hit the shuttle in the middle of the racquet.

9. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Regular Member

Consultant
    an american-football ball is not shperical :p

10. silentheart

When did rugby start using a spherical ball?

Star is spherical is because of gravataional force and due to plasma has liquid like property. Not becuase of aero dynamic.

I am very shocked that a Oval Cab30ms with a box shape frame is more aero dynamic than a ISO shaped AT900-t.

WOW, I don't think 3 year's of physics in univ class teach any of these theory...

#310 silentheart, May 20, 2008
    Last edited: May 20, 2008
  11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

An oval shaped racquet is always more aerodynamic than an iso shaped one of similar x-section and thickness dimensions. AOTBE an iso racquet feels ponderous and its much larger stringbed area has significantly more air resistance. The problem is that there the industry is catering for the badminton masses and prefer iso because newcomers find it easier to play with iso. There is not much interest in new investment in new and innovative oval design molds.

12. silentheart

Can you just say that ISO fram has bigger frame in general and that is the reason oval has less air resistant than iso frame? If a iso fram has same circumfrence as the oval frame, there is no difference in air resistance. Yonex claim ISO has bigger sweet spot. It never claim ISO has bigger frame.
    I have no further comment on your racquet design.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Of course iso has a bigger stringbed area, because it is basically an oval with extended shoulders. This increases air resistance from two sources-a bigger stringbed with more strings in the way and the ponderous swing of the iso shape with its two extended shoulders. You might notice that some iso designs try to minimize this problem by reducing the size of the two extended shoulders. Some even look more like oval than iso. Notice that not all iso are of the same size and not as squarish on the shoulders?
    BTW, the Yonex Swingpower was a very good racquet with very slim dimensions and excellent material. Its weakness was its huge iso shape and stringbed size, which somewhat stunted what would otherwise have been a very maneuverable and powerful racquet.

14. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    isometric for me. i think it has a better sweet spot.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Iso has its advantages as well as disadvantages. Iso is an easy racquet for beginners and players who have difficulty hitting the sweet spot or in the center of the racquet.
    However, iso has some serious disadvantages. One is that it is more ponderous because of the less streamline shape with two extended shoulders. Another more serious one is a poorer center of gravity. With extended shoulders the center of gravity is now being thrown a bit off tangent. Players who place lead tapes at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions on an iso racquet knows what I am talking about.
    Try to look it from this angle: why is a bullet shape more towards an oval shape than an iso shape?

16. silentheart

You mean this one?
    http://www.jojoxserie.net/pics/201201/bullet%20mista.jpg
    or this one?
    http://www.thebulletbarn.com/images/BulletGroupwithBall.jpg
    How about this one?
    http://www.ironbikeworx.com/zc/images/4bullet44magnick.jpg

I feel this is not oval shape...
    http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/54271/2/istockphoto_54271_50_bmg_api_bullet.jpg

One last thing. You swing the racquet with face hitting the shuttle. You do not try to stab a shuttle and hope you can get it over the net.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The racquet face must be multi-directional in a swing, otherwise it is wrong technique. That is how you get pronation and supination which eliminates restrictions to efficient stroke-making.
    BTW here is a tip on how to test your own racquet for a good balance and center of gravity: place the middle of the shaft onto your left palm and then rotate the racquet with your right hand quickly. Try all your racquets, including iso, oval, and those with lead tape. What do you get?

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

its always isometric head shape for me:)

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Bs

LOLOLOL, i didn't understand taneepak's logic at all either.
    maybe he meant oval racket is a better projectile than iso, like LD and taufik could have threw their rackets much FURTHER if they have used oval rackets instead of their AT700's ROFL

#319 cooler, May 30, 2008
    Last edited: May 30, 2008
  20. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Regular Member

Definintely Iso for me, after using an oval head shaped racket while being forced to play defensively I can recognise the value in the stronger off center hits the Isometric head shape can provide which makes defence alot easier.