Wrenched.........

Discussion in 'World Championships 2011' started by Wilson Chew, Aug 14, 2011.

1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I think so too. LCW will pick and move forward towards OLY12. On the other hand, LD knows it is no longer as easy as in the past.

2. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Okay lah, as usual my error:D....change to '100 plus' and avoid Red Bull since LD endorses that stuff...but I still would cry with Era:crying::crying:

3. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Agree Rashid has no business seating in the coach chair other than paid RM180K to warm the seat...but before you said fire the coaches, who the heck hire them in the first place, paid them handsomely for failing miserably time and time again, and paying the juniors peanuts with no chance of playing internationally to gain experience, and not paying the state BAs anything to promote and groom the next batch of players which the Maybank $$$ is intended to accomplish in the first place. And what about Bata James and his high performance BS and how much he got paid? Complete house cleaning is what malaysian badminton needs.

4. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Agree with you, it is not mental. One wrong move at the right opportunity to win it all, that is it. It hurts like heck.

5. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Adrenalin alone and the joy of winning coming from behind, would lift the spirit and rejuvenate a tired soul in LD, and move on to euphoria celebration time, on a high. LCW losing with victory so close yet seeing it vanish would crush many a players, dampen his spirits and would cause a huge letdown. LCW fitness is no debate, if there is one area that LCW prepared hardest, it is in his fitness.

6. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I was more saying as a smaller nation Denmark shouldn't be beating a bigger nation like England (although relatively weak at badminton) let alone a bigger nation like Malaysia (renowned for badminton) as it constantly does. (Malaysia is over five times denmark population)

Of course England matched Malaysia at these worlds and historically is the more successful in the major events (worlds, olympics)

#66 dlp, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  7. miss.boon

miss.boon Regular Member

disagree

perhaps u were over-analizing.
    if he was a rookie or a junior player then perhaps what you say hold water.
    but lcw was in the best form of his life, learnt after so many spectacular failures in past, and at the peak of his powers.
    so why he cannot beat Super Dan when it matters most?

answer is simple;
    in terms of general capabilities they are about on-par, with LCW slightly ahead because he is the hungrier;
    but Super Dan possess something very special, his explosive power and exquisite net-play.
    lcw couldn't deal with it.

despite many saying LD was 'fortunate' to win, just look at how LD clawed from 16-20 in the 1st game and completely dominated the 2nd game. i'm sure that this was his strategy all along...

8. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I think you're just showing your bias here. Go back and watch the final again.

For the first time in recent history, I think it's impossible to separate the two now. The difference between winning and losing is so fine, it's impossible as far as I'm concerned to even say one played better than the other. It would be just as easy to pin the net-cord on allowing LD to win the game as there was 3-4 points in his favour where the shuttle just by chance favoured going over!

In the past, I think it would've been valid to say LCW lacked the conviction, lacked the attacking play, lacked the tactical weapons to beat LD, but now, that is practically zero. And it showed. Go watch a final from last year, and you'll see what I mean. The arguments now as to who won and why, in matches between the two of them, is no longer valid. The differences are so fine, it's unbelievable...almost incomprehensible.

The bottom line? The final could've gone either way. A butterfly could've beat it's wings in the jungles of Borneo and LCW would've won. :cool:

Exciting times!
    :D

9. TheComedian

TheComedian Regular Member

Badminton Player/Coach
    To a degree, I agree with this. You know, I am currently living in China for badminton training. LD is on every bus, in every badminton gym, on every friggin' advertisement space there is. You can't walk 50 feet without seeing him holding a can of Red Bull. He is in TV adds for gum, red bull, and Li-ning. Lin Dan IS "pure propaganda" and a sell out. It is almost impossible to go a day in China without see Lin Dan somewhere. Even if you stay home for a day, You will see him in some add on the internet. QQ or whatever (QQ is Chinese MSN).

But how is it any different with any other sport? remember the Vancouver Winter Olympics? The amount of money that went into adds, commercials, and billboards for the Canadian Hockey team? If we didn't win it would have been embarrassing.

I am sick of watching Lin Dan win. I am also sick of watching LCW beat every other player on the planet in 2 straight games. Less than 15 points.

I am sure LCW has enough prize money by now to be set for life. I'm sure he has investments and Swiss bank accounts :p If LCW stopped playing badminton, we wouldn't have to work for the rest of his life.

10. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    It really is incredibly delusional when LD says thinks like "I'm an ambassador for the sport", because being a dominant player is BAD for the sport simply because it makes it less interesting for everyone except the rabid fanbois. The thrill of a competition is, as you say, with the excitement of a close match, not with there only being room for one player. Two isn't much better, unfortunately, but that's what we're lumped with. Luckily, we don't have two players with the same well indoctrinated style or it would be a complete yawnfest just as it was when Lance Armstrong was dominating cycling, or Federrer before everyone else caught up, or that golfing guy who's adulterous ways we won't mention.

Great for marketing, not so great for the real fans of the sport.

Granted, there's not exactly a lot LD can do to make the matches closer, because to do so would contravene the plan for the overall picture that Badminton China has, and LD knows who butters his bread (Not that he would ever dream of acting on his own such as Taufik has.).

#70 Maklike Tier, Aug 15, 2011
  11. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    i think Peter Gade is the best ambassador for Badminton. He is the oldest player on the circuit. Oldest, wisest, and most experienced. Lin Dan is not an ambassador for badminton. he is everything that's wrong with Badminton.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I really really like LD as a player and a competitive professional and sportsman. But as a thinking person, he leaves a lot to be desired. Unfortunately. If indeed as attributed by someone in this thread, he uttered the words to the effect that he is "an ambassador of the game and therefore his responsibility..." etc etc he needs a reality-check.

Maybe he can start by not throwing matches against his compatriots; or pleading sickness by cold water; or so much more; maybe he can begin by taking a stance against this kind of fixing like an earlier champion Table tennis player did. That would earn him more respect in the eyes of the world, more than all his medals put together.

Insofar as he and LCW divvying up all the titles available go between them, I dont blame them for it at all. They play their best. They are entitled. Its up to the rest of the pack to improve. Cue BAM, PBSI, BAI. BE, BD and the rest of the lot...

Which is I believe, the real point of this thread...

13. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

The problem with other/someone playing and giving their best is, their best simply isn't at the level wherein they can afford to tank (team orders) it for the betterment of the whole and still come up trumps. Imagine...

14. laonong

laonong Regular Member

I think LD should be the ambassador for badminton. Just becasue he is the best player. The popularity of badminton in China in recent years is becasue of LD, not other people. China will be the biggest market in near future. So the popularity of badminton in China is important for this sport.

15. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    That absolutely 100% pure BS. Lin Dan is HATED by most badminton players and coaches in China. Badminton players in China love Taufik, Peter Gade, and Bao Chunlai. They HATE Lin Dan. They hate what he stands for, they hate that he plays for China. They hate that his coach treats him like his little baby. Chinese players Hate Lin Dan. Other national team Chinese coaches left because of Lin Dan. They coach in Indonesia, Korea, and Malaysia. Lin Dan is hated in China.

Badminton became popular in China because of Yang Yang and some other guy who played during the time of Morten Frost. Typical American. Opening your mouth on a subject you know nothing about. Do everyone a favor and keep quiet next time.

#75 TheComedian, Aug 15, 2011
  16. hiho1961

hiho1961 Regular Member

Builder
    this was a great battle and good that it was not 1 sided. it would have been good for badminton if LCW had won and this would have lifted Malaysia pride and injected more enthusiam into the sport. I guess nwe need to take a leaf out of the chinese book and copy its model a bit. 1: take the sport more seriously 2: make badminton our No1 sport 3: train like for the worst possible tournament draw and always a 3 setter like LD. It is also good to at least see Europe make Semis and finals would have sucked to see china in all the finals

17. hiho1961

hiho1961 Regular Member

Builder
    If you are sick of see these people then who do we use as roll models and who we aspire to ,be guys that have been runner-up or also ran with lovely trick shots , competition is about winning and sometimes you can be a little selfish to what you want.you have to respect these guys as it is their livelyhood and they should be allowed the fruits of their labour. as did Tiger Woods in his earlier years

18. hador7

hador7 Regular Member

I think you have mental issues hating on one player so strongly.

oh wait a minute... Li Mao? Is that you?

19. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Why is LD everything that is wrong with badminton? He's just playing his best, which is the duty of every badminton pro. If he happens to dominate the field, then the onus should be on his rivals to close the gap.

When LD is purposely not at his best, or give walk over, then something is truly wrong. But that's the team orders, not LD's fault.

20. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    But I do agree that as far as ambassadors go, LD is not suitable. There's a world of difference between him and someone like Roger Federer in terms of on-court and off-court demeanor. Peter Gade would get my vote.