Shin Baek Cheol

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by Sealman, Nov 30, 2010.

1. esppy

esppy Regular Member

And his strokes of smash/drop are the same motion, which is seriously deceiving.

2. MonkeyMadness

MonkeyMadness Regular Member

Well done Shin! Fantastic final!

3. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

Shin played excellently in the final. No fear at all the last two sets.

4. MonkeyMadness

MonkeyMadness Regular Member

Great match, everyone wrote them off in the final and he and Ko played fantastic. I like LYD and Yoo but I would love this pair to really push on :)

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

My favourite player - clever, accurate, outstanding at the net, and probably the best defence in a national squad of utter brick walls.

Medal contender in Rio, hands down.

6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    SBC is very good in defence no question, but I would still say LYD is the best defensively in the Korean team. He certainly possesses the most consistent and seemingly effortless defense imo even though he has lost a bit of his shine since JJS retired.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I'd say Shin plays a more constructive defence than LYD; Lee just lifts and lifts and lifts until he gets a weak one, while Shin is able to turn the shot pretty much every time - his "inside out" crosscourt backhand is probably his signature defensive shot, actually:).

Weird to see a tall player defending so well... they usually look like they're made of springs.

8. esppy

esppy Regular Member

I'm just curious as to why there's not as much consistency with SBC/KSH unlike LYD/YYS... they're pretty solid too imo.

Is KSH still the weaker link in a duo?

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Ko and Shin are regularly reaching quarters and semis these days, but I do think Ko is the weaker link... again:). He's definitely weaker defensively, makes the more errors, and is less able to place his smashes for maximum damage.

10. esppy

esppy Regular Member

But Ko's physique... man, it's daunting.

Just something I noticed; but SBC's rear court smashes aren't as steep? Or maybe it's just the camera angle of the court...

11. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I see what you’re saying, but I’m of a different opinion… when under pressure, LYD does play a lot of cross-courts defensive shots on both forehand and backhand… in-to-out or not….

But as you say, mostly he would lift them. I don’t think it’s because he can’t play like SBC, but he might be playing the percentage game, “lifting it” is perhaps the safer shot to play… there's probably an element of psychology involved in this shot as it is frustrating and tiring for the smasher to repeatedly get high lifts back.

Lee’s weakness is in areas beyond his immediate reach, otherwise defensively, in my book, he is second to none. There are others that are also good in this department, Shin, Endo, Hayakawa to name a few, but being able to get incredible attacking shots back is one thing, having the ability to do it consistently, effortlessly and effectively is another. And for me, LYD has this ability in abundance…

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I think you've said it really.

One of the strengths of the LYD/YYS partnership is their consistency. That accounts for a lot, when you see them play, it is as if they are playing a 95% game. They don't go all out on everything, unlike the Chinese players for example - which is why they are able to come back so often to win matches when they lose the first game.

Theirs is more of a controlled aggression game imo.

KSH is the weaker link no doubt, but when he's on form and concentrating well he too can produce the goods. It's a shame he has to play at 110% to do that - especially in defense.

SBC is more consistent but one person doesn't make a partnership and players are bound to expose the weakest link as they did when KSH played with LYD.

13. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

I really think KSH is undervalued. He plays with a mediocre-at-best partner in the mixed, and still gives even the best pairs a good match. I think he'll keep in those top-rankings in the near future, whoever he plays with.

14. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Yup, I agree. Someone like Eom would be good for him. But there are situations where he does crack under pressure big time, and his trademark "WHOA OEI OHHHH" scream disappears. All too clear a sign to the opponent he is under stress and would invade him further.

Call me biased but I would like to see him and LYD have a go at it again, frankly...

Here's really hoping SBC/KSH can get into top 4 soon :D

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Even though this is not KSH thread :p, but he's definitely got potential if he's more aggressive in his outlook. He's just too nice, out of all the KOR MD players.

16. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

I would have agreed if I didn't watch SBC's games this year. Especially during WC he was too good, his defense usually forces the opponent to play a difficult shot since he keeps it flat but out of the way from the frontcourt player usually. The fact that SBC/KSH beat YYS/LYD at WC just makes it clear that they have no fear. The commentators bashed KSH so hard that day, but damn did they both shine.

Also, I think Mark is biased because SBC uses TK9000.

I think people gave LYD too much credit, he doesn't seem to play as well as he used to.

Even though SBC/KSH lost this match, this was a great rally https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6fLxgcuvPw#t=21m49

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I was so annoyed that the other MD group match was the one televised - this one was far superior (and went the distance!).

If you think I'm biased to Shin because of his racket... maybe I shouldn't get the JS10:p.

18. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    Does anyone know why Ko Sung Hyun is playing with Sol Kyu Choi?

First I thought maybe Shin has to concentrate on MX but can´t find him in any of the next three tournaments (German, All Englang, Swiss Open)...?!

Any news?

19. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    This is probably BKA experimenting with partnerships and pushing their youngest most successful juniors by giving them experience with one of the most senior players before the big run up to Rio with their normal partnerships.

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I'm sure Shin is injured - he had to retire from a couple of tournaments last year. I doubt very much that the Koreans would split a WC pair after one year.