Stiffness advice

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Hazza, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Hazza

Hazza Regular Member

I'm currently using Arcsaber 7s. I've had them for quite a few years and they are a great all rounder. I know they are a medium flex, I was wondering if I would be better of with something stiffer. Recently there have been a few occasions where I can feel the racket flex. I know that the flex is there to help players build up power. But when I hit the shot it lacks speed and feels dud. (Even though I'm pretty sure I'm hitting the shuttle in the sweet spot.)

Is it possible to be too strong for a racket so the flex becomes ineffective?

I was thinking of the Z slash as a possible upgrade in the near future. Reckon that would be a good fit with the slight shift towards the head of the racket and higher stiffness?

2. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Only you know which is the best racket for you. Some people use the Arc 7 and seem to get it to work so maybe a change to a different racket would be a good idea. As for what type its going to be trial and error. I would be cautious of getting the zslash as you need be very precise when hitting the shuttle.

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    if you feel like the shots are coming in way later than your swing and that you don't like this kinda feel, then it could be that you would enjoy a stiffer racket. i have played with stiff rackets and flexible rackets and i find myself enjoy playing a lot more with flexible rackets. but i can tell you that the z slash isn't that stiff. what i would consider stiff is arc8dx tho everyone says it's extra stiff. when i use the z slash, i can still feel the head of the racket coming after the swing. anyway, it's a good idea to try out different rackets to pick out the one that feels right for YOU!

regarding the feel of "dud", besides the racket it could be the string as well, depending on the tension and the thickness. it's another variable that can take years to decide what sounds/feels good to you.

diverdan mentioned that you need to be careful with the z slash and he is correct. because the smaller sweet spot, you'll need to be more accurate. but given you mentioned that you're pretty good with hitting at the sweet spot you would have nothing to worry about :)

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Would try a re-string first indeed [​IMG] (if it hadn't been done recently)

5. visor

visor Regular Member

yep, way cheaper than getting a new racket :)

6. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

Knowing what stiffness that can mutually blend well with your technique of play requires your own sensible feeling and observation since your technique of play is only unique for you.

In regards with racket stiffness and how does it effect the quality of your hit, the reason for a racket to have different type of stiffness is because different player has his own different style of play that in results will be produce different style of swinging technique.

For a slow swinger, using a flexible racket can ensure a higher chance of a solid hit since his swinging speed can match proportionally with the time of contact between his racket and the birdie since the flexibility of the racket shaft that he's using has able to match with his swinging speed correctly. As your swinging speeds improve, upgrading to another type of stiffness specification to match that swinging speed will ensure a better chance of unloading a more solid hit.

Therefore as far as talking about racket stiffness is concern, if the quality of your hit has deteriorate after been using that same stiffness then, upgrading will be one approach that you can do to evaluate the quality of your next hit. Easy it seems to simply change from a mid flex to stiff or higher but do take note that the more stiffer the racket that you will use, the more strength that you need to generate in your swings to propel the birdie since the shaft of your racket has less "snapping" effect to facilitate the power of your hit since its become stiffer. Due to more strength is require in your swings, the vibration effect that occurs from all your hit will be transmitted to your arm and all of this parameters can results in injuries if your muscle strength and tone is not solid. Improving your muscle strength and tone will be another training that you need to do if you decide to use a more stiffer racket.

SS

7. Hazza

Hazza Regular Member

Hi, thanks for all the feed back. Yes I have had them restrung recently. They are BG80s at about 28-30lbs so I don't think there is really any issue there. I was playing earlier and I had the same thing happen on a clear.
    SS I see what you're getting at. I wasn't going to go for an all out head heavy + stiff racket, I've played with a Voltric Z force and LD Armortec 700 and it really didn't suit me. That's why I thought the Z slash maybe an ok upgrade. And seeing what gundamzaku said about there still being some flex makes it seem more suitable.
    Anyone know of any rackets (preferably cheaper than the z slash) that are slightly head heavy with medium-stiff shaft?

8. visor

visor Regular Member

you'll be looking at the arc 10... that's how yonex has positioned it

9. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Have a look at the Victor series.