Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. anthonyb

anthonyb Regular Member

student
    Hi chip167. You are a good player :) there are Just a few weaknesses that I picked up on whilst watching you.

I would like to see you threatening the net more, and it would be beneficial for you to help the rear court player out. What I mean by this is that as soon as the opposition clear the shuttle to the rear court on your partners side, you should straight away move into the "T" and cover the net.

You should threaten the net by having your racket held up, and looking to pounce on any loose returns. I didn't see one decent tight net shot from anyone on that court during that game...

Other than that you are a grand player! Hope this helps :)

Thanks
    from Anthony

2. chip167

chip167 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks Tactim and anthonyb :)

I agree that I need to work on my forecourt game, I have always been more comfortable at the back which is probably why I'm not aggressive enough at the net. When I watched the video back again you are definitely right, I am slow moving forwards when my partner is pushed to the back.

One thing I had never noticed until I watched myself on video is how low my racket is a lot of the time! So easily fixed and will hopefully make a big difference, especially at the net. I would recommend to everyone to film yourself playing as there are lots of things you probably never knew you did...

I might try to get a video of a higher standard game at some point to see my weaknesses when playing at full intensity.

Any more comments welcome!

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You're right, I was about to comment on the low racket. In the game, you look pretty relaxed, probably because all other players are much weaker in rally situations (the opponents aren't too bad on serve, actually). If you play singles, film yourself playing one match at high intensity - will give you a very good idea of which movements you could work on the most and how quick you really ARE. I always feel a lot quicker than I really am, so taking frequent videos keeps my ego from inflating :D (that and the rather humiliating losses I get when playing against our 1st and 2nd team players and they play at 100%)

4. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Cool Head Like M.Frost

All of you guys play with a cool disposition like you guys have played each other a thousand times already. The one in white shirt is the calmest player and has a slightly better anticipation of shots than the rest of you.

Btw, you look the youngest and fittest of them all in this video.

5. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Intermittent Middle Court Attacks

Smashing/ jabbing/ flick serve to the middle court intermittently can also be looked upon and used more often. In addition, if your partner can follow up with less error-prone forecourt attack especially after your smash, that would greatly help the game.

6. chip167

chip167 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks everyone for your comments :)

If I can get hold of a decent camera again (this one wasn't mine) I'll try to get a video up of one of my university matches which will hopefully be a better standard.

7. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

[video=youtube;Ln6KpmjRRZ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln6KpmjRRZ0&feature=relmfu[/video]

Badminton season at uni is underway, hoping to record a few more of us playing.

I'm one of the taller ones playing with the Indian guy (if that makes sense).

This was the first time we'd played together as a pairing, so subsequently in the last 2 weeks have improved alot on co-ordination and partnership.

Any comments welcome.

Hoping to upload a fair few more in the coming weeks!

8. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Here's a fun trickshot from a school tournament last weekend. I don't condone this kind of behavior but since I couldn't smash or clear due to an injury, I think it's fair that I can get away with a few points like this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXWBAOrmM8o

[video=youtube;VXWBAOrmM8o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXWBAOrmM8o[/video]

9. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    AimUK are you at BUCS this year ?

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

The player in the White shirts reaction to this is priceless!:) he is completely fooled by the rackethead.:)

11. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Brushing up on the shuttle for a shot like that is really hard to pull off when you have to generate the pace yourself. It's much easier to do on smash returns to drive it back really flat and fast, but whenever I try to do what you do it ends up in the net when not smashed. Nice shot =).

12. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Aimuk : Exeter Uni looks a lot better venue with the mats!

Sometimes you seem to get in a sideways position when defending/neutral instead of more facing the direction shuttle coming from

Both you and your partner use a lot of flick and wide serves when there doesn't seem to be much pressure on you basic low serve?

In general seems to be a lot of flat drives and you out hit the opponents. I feel if you improved your serves and returns and were not making errors these opponents would not win many points at all.

Return of serve looks to be mostly a flat hit to the back, which works here, but against better opponents won't, would be good to see a harder match.

If you look at for instance 10.09 you look to be stood very far to your right in receive stance? Maybe its the angle of camera? You look like you would have further to move to attack a serve to the T?

13. Lukas11365

Lukas11365 Regular Member

Just found this old video of myself playing. Obviously my teammate had not his best day, which resulted in many easy points for me. I am the guy next to the camera wearing the white shirt. Critique welcome!

[video=youtube;KFmQ9kusfjY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFmQ9kusfjY[/video]

14. carpediem

carpediem Regular Member

finance
    you play good lukas.
    but sometimes i see your serve is too high....higher than your waistline cmiiw.
    do you play for any verein/club?

15. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Lukas you have some decent movement, sometimes your serve looks like a fault? (Racket not pointing downwards) , you're not getting any advantage but might be worth looking at. Mostly you lift and opponent makes error! Post a tougher match

16. Poseidon1985

Poseidon1985 Regular Member

Random Thinker
    Hello, are you saying the rest of his serves are ok? I've never seen professionals doing it and I have a friend who serve like that as well and I always thought it's a foul...

17. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I was being diplomatic, its hard to see the angle on the video at impact so I wouldn't go as far to say they are all faults, but it looks borderline at best.

18. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    Agree. Unfortunately the movement is too fast in the video to properly guess, but it looks a little suspect to me too.
    But except for that you seems to be doing rather good Lukas. Maybe post a tougher match, if possible, as already suggested.

19. Lukas11365

Lukas11365 Regular Member

Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately i havent got another match yet, maybe i can record one later. When I see the video now, my serve really looks a bit strange sometimes but nobody ever complained about it so I never thought about changing it. In fact it would not be a great problem to hit the shuttle under the waistline I think, but nowadays Im using the short backhand serve most of the time anyway.
    @carpediem: yes L play for a club where im practicing as well. Are you from Germany, too?

20. amleto

amleto Regular Member

oh wow, you picked a really bad one for me!

I'll have to upload another with a slightly better performance... :p