Yonex ArcSaber Flash Boost ( ARC FB )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by yan.v, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Yes yes we all know training and playing more is the best way to improve. However, it's also important to get to a certain point in your game where you realise who you are and how you play, and buy that racket. Buying and trying new rackets is a good thing, but if you aren't aware of what you're trying to achieve by doing that, then your game will go backwards before you know it.

If you follow trends and don't listen to yourself, your game will go backwards.

If you stick with a racket because "it will make you a better player", your game will go backwards.

etc.

:)

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well I don't think sticking to a racket that's less than 6 years old will make you a worse player :D If anything, it'll slightly (very slightly) drag you down in competition, but do nothing to hinder your growth as a player. The presumption is that it's not a wrong racket for you, i.e. nothing too head heavy/~ light or too stiff/soft. Most players are flexible in that regard though, as long as you stay away from the extremes you should be fine (no N90s or VTZFs for beginners or intermediates! :D).

Anyhow, developing your game depends 95-99% on your training and related efforts (proper diet and rest, studying up on the game, watching and analyzing videos,...) and 1-5% on your equipment. Proper shoes are a must, and the racket should not be too cheap and/or old, but as you use the same technique and footwork regardless of the racket it's not too important.
    Once you reach something close to national level (in your age group, if underage) and start specializing (i.e. playing an attacking/defensive style, favoring a certain discipline) you (and your coach) can worry about choosing a certain racket to enhance your strengths which won't drag you down.

The ArcFB (to somewhat stay on topic) would be a racket for players who have no offensive capabilities anyway and rely on defense, endurance, and out-playing their opponents with placement and deception. Being very secure in your shot-making is a must for that style of play.
    If you're an aggressive player smashing a lot to put your opposition under pressure, this is absolutely not the racket for you :D

3. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    I don't think you have to be at a national level to benefit from having a rational analysis of what racket suits you best. I know I stuck with the MX80 for far too long, to the detriment of my game and probably my shoulder. And I'm a B-Grade club player :)

In fact, I think it's probably the opposite - I think more amateur players can benefit more from careful racket selection.

Anyway, yeah, back on topic. :)

I agree Jackie, I think the FB is more scalpel than sledgehammer (obviously). However, what I'd like to explore is finding a specification that keeps my power game where it is, but 'improves' my defensive and midcourt game, so I'm pretty keen to try a FB or Adizero Pro at some stage.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    "There's nothing wrong with trying new rackets, and it's good to find a racket that suits you. But if you want to get better, you need more training, not more rackets." -Gollum

"A sharp edge does not automatically make a sword a good weapon. Only the wielder can do that." -Swordsmaster credo

5. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    The Arcsaber CS (Clichéd Sayings) proudly brought to you by Cobalt. :p

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, perhaps I wasn't clear enough on that - what I meant to say with that was that from that level on your success can actually depend on you using the correct racket as the margins get closer there.
    I agree that anyone will benefit from using the right racket for them, but not as much as ntl. level players (who have little room for improvement in terms of training in comparison).
    Many intermediate/lower advanced level players make the mistake of using too extreme a racket (i.e. too stiff/too head heavy, like Ns9900, VT-ZF, N90...) and as a result weaken their game and in the worst case risk injury, especially with the HH kind.
    In a way, the FB is similar - it is an extreme racket, and as such not suited for beginner/intermediate players who are still developing and working on their game. Even advanced players should be careful about choosing it as their go-to, if they do they should play with normal (or training) rackets regularly to maintain their previous strength levels.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

^ I'm just playing the devil's advocate here, but what if to some people a medium wt, balanced racket were feeling like a training racket to them... then the FB will feel like the perfect racket for them. :)

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeahhhh....if a medium wt balanced racket feels like a training racket to you then you're in desperate need of upper body strength :D Because if you're that weak you won't get any power with the FB either. You might manage the same swing speed as a normal person with a normal racket, but given the low weight and thus low momentum of the FB you'll still end up with the same result.

Maklike: What's your current racket? Still using those prototypes? What works for me is sticking to my (kinda light) Braveswords 09&12. I'm happy enough with my defense, and to improve my power, work on strength and technique. Most people's weakness in defense is caused by either big technical deficiencies or a lack of forearm strength. I have no idea what you play like, so you might want to get someone who knows what they're talking about to have a look at your defensive play, and provided it's not in need of a complete overhaul, work on it just a little while improving forearm strength.

Defensive drills are numerous, a very common one that also works your forearm is to defend against drives played by a partner standing at the net (like the warm-up most pros do before a match). Important here is that your partner plays the shots in a manner that you're just able to get them back 70% of the time. If you want to work on your forearm a little more intensely, use a heavier racket.
    Strength exercises for the forearm include working with a powerball or forearm handles. For me, pull-ups work brilliantly (even if I'm currently quite out of shape in that regard).

9. Dimon75

Dimon75 Regular Member

Read my short story and try not to repeat my mistakes.
    In December 2012 I've decided to move to Voltric ZF after 2 years with NS9900.
    That was a real mistake. I've spent have a year trying to get used to this head heavy monster with lots of mishits, ruined techniques and so on. (No pain fortunately).
    Last week I finally acquired FB. To say that I'm happy with its performance in my hands is nothing. It's really awesome for me. (doubles most of the time)
    Switching from ZF to FB suprisingly didn't cause me any trouble. Every shot now is performed with much more confidence. I have to admit that ultimate smash power of ZF exceeds that of FB but not dramatically while the better accuracy of my shots with FB compencate it quite enough.
    Also I feel that I have more time to prepare to almost every shot thus the process seems more comfortable and enjoyable.

So far so good. Will report on any major issues.

10. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Yeah Jackie, still using the prototypes. The #4 is just such a sweet, sweet spec (89g/304mm/7.9 stiffness)....but I'm just curious to go lighter to see if that will facilitate speeding up my game.

I'm a bit of an oddity in that I'm big (191cms), caucasian, and sloooooow. Which you would think would make me a smashing machine but I don't have a big smash to make up for my lumbering hulk. My skill is in the angles I can generate from the back court, and being an intimidating wall a the front of the net. I avoid flat fast rallies at all costs.

Essentially, I'm Mathias Boe that's eaten too many pies. ;)

Oh, and that doesn't play very well.

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Haha, pretty much the same here - I'm just slightly shorter than you (~189cm) but also lack a really dangerous smash, at least if you take into account my height and weight. I'm not carrying around any extra kilos though ;)
    Anywho, big guys with big angles usually benefit from a really strong forearm - it allows you to wield your racket quickly and get a little more power in your overhead strokes, and can add to your deceptive qualities (as you'll need next to no backswing for fast drops or half-smashes).

12. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Yeah man, that's why I like the 304mm balance point and about a 41g SW. So far Proto #4 has been the best of both worlds - fast and light, yet meaty.

13. n0m5ky

n0m5ky Regular Member

Just want to share an update. I feel the more I play with my 5U Arc FB, the more I enjoy my game! I spent another 8 hours with this racket last week and I found that my smash was getting better and better in terms of power and accuracy after I managed myself to get the right timing and speed of my arm/wrist swing. My defense noticeably improved and thus it boosted up my confidence when playing against hard-smashers. It looked like you always got a chance to return back your opponent`s smashes.

It also happened to me that this racket clashed a few times with my partner (he used a VT80) when defending from a smash and I was surprised that there was no scratches or breaks on the frame. It was like nothing had happened. So I guess the 5U version has a stronger frame/better built than of the F(6U) one.

I used the Arc FB when I faced strong/advance opponents to match their speed, pace and intensity in their game. But I switched back to my 3U Arc Z-Slash when I faced weaker opponents. I also usually used my Z-Slash in the warm-up session (around 15-20 minutes) before we started a game. This helped me maintain my feeling on and timing of using Z-Slash as well as get a good preparation to use the Arc FB which was a quicker, lighter racket (it always feels good every time switching from a heavier racket to a lighter one). In summary, in a two-hour session I usually used the Arc FB 70-80% and the Z-Slash the remaining 20-30%. I just cannot completely go away from my Z-Slash. :D

Even though some would say bad words on or have a bad experience with this racket, I just want to continue enjoying playing with it.

#753 n0m5ky, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  14. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    I am more of a recreational player who occasionally participate in local town professional tournaments. There this semi pro singles player, whom I never beat in our last 25 encounters. I beat him yesterday. .. This is a big achievement for me personally and I truely believe that FB played a very big role in it :)

15. Adam_C

Adam_C New Member

Business Manager
    On what tension do you have your AS-FB strung at?
    I have a 6U pulled to 27lbs. Played extremely well, but one mis-hit of the shuttle on the frame (top center) folded the racket head. I supposed this is the weak spot of this racket...

16. visor

visor Regular Member

That doesn't sound good. Seems to be in line with some others experience with this FB (fast break) racket.

17. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Strung it multiple times at 28 lbs and it seemed to be fine. Even saw a clash this week with a 28lbs strung FB and it survived...

18. Adam_C

Adam_C New Member

Business Manager
    You bet. Light = Low Density. Low density solids are usually fragile.
    In any case, I should be able to get a replacement. But this time around, I'd go for a 5U strung at 25lbs instead. And I'd only use this racket during singles play.

19. Adam_C

Adam_C New Member

Business Manager
    The racket itself can be strung up to 30lbs. But at this level it's under tremendous stress. If you are confident it will hold, try hitting a mid-hard smash - but at the 12 o'clock of the frame!
    You may have a story to share then... :)

20. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    depend on the material use