Victor VS-850 Nanotec String

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Sealman, Nov 27, 2009.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    everytime you hit the shuttlecock, you are making indirect impact against another object. the string/racket is the damping mechanism that goes between your arm and the impact. the tension/stiffness of the string/shaft determine how much cushion you have against the impact.

it is like hitting against a brick wall (though not as extreme), the more cushion you have, the better it is for your body.

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    It's the impact that hurts the elbow. Fortunately, I did lots of forearm resistance training a couple of years ago. As a result, impact and vibration on the elbow were not a big issue back then. However, the continuous use of high tension does accumulate and shows its effect in the form of slight soreness in the elbow.

3. super64

super64 Regular Member

bag manufacturer, beverage distributions
    if u havent played it the tension wont loosen up for such a short time . it takes a lot of countless smashing lobbing before tension loosens and usually just a lbs. difference. if u dont want to use it then my christmas tree has a space for that racket to be taken care off :) joke

4. Alapongtai

Alapongtai Regular Member

what do you mean by "pre stretch it" ?

5. jeycjy

jeycjy Regular Member

Some1's employee
    Yeap ! Stretch it by stringing 2~3lbs higher ! After 2~3 rounds of play tension will eventually drop and stay there. The durability is quite good.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a bit late to the game but i got myself some VS850 to try out. the black one has some really tough texture which makes stringing slightly more difficult. will try it out on court and report back.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the feel is nice.

i strung it up at 24lbs on my BS10. the feel is snappy and the feel is very nice. repulsion is nice with a high pitch metallic sound on a smash.

the feeling compliments the BS10 well. both are fast and stiff but both have nice solid feel and good repulsion. good combo.

8. hop-step

hop-step Regular Member

Hi Kwun,
    How is it compared to BG80/NBG98? Also (off topic) How is the BS10 compared to Arc Z Slash?
    Thanks for the review.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it has a snappier feel than BG80. BG80 is more dull and less repulsion. VS850 has more feedback and more texture.

i haven't tried the NBG98. i have used a ArcZ for around 2mins with questionable stringing so that doesn't qualify me for a comparison. ;)

10. Porky

Porky Regular Member

Perhaps u can do a review again in 1-2mths time....like wat some players experience and posted in the earlier pages, i also felt the VS850 lost it's "playability" pretty fast.....when new, it's performs very well, repulsion is good and snappy, but from prolonged usage, the feeling deteriorates and becomes unplayable

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    will certainly do that. so far though, after 3+ sessions, it still feel snappy. even if it only last a month, i think it is worth it at around US$4.xx/pop.

12. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Been playing a couple sessions (mainly with plastic, and 1 singles game with feather) with my RSL Silver X5 with the VS-850 string (Blue) and I have to say it's a great string, probably even a tad bit better than the BG-80 that I always play with (In terms of power, control etc.)
    Only problem is the string does tend to move ALOT.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ok. a bit more info about the string.

not sure what it is, but it is not tension loss. i measure the tension loss of the VS850@24lbs on my MX80, it went from 1150 to 1070Hz. which by all measure is just around 2-3lbs, over the period of a month with pretty intensive play. that's very reasonable and probably better than most string.

the playability didn't really suffer. i had some pretty hard games with it but while it didn't feel like new strings, the response, feel was still very good.

i know, a contrast to the reviews here but that's how i felt it.

i broke the one on my MX80 though on a mishit last week. gonna strung it again, this time at 25lbs to see how it goes.

14. flite

flite Regular Member

I presume that you are a good stringer and had done all the necessary procedure for optimum stringing and to minimize tension loss. With all that done it still dropped 2-3lbs in tension.

Just imagine certain unfortunate people who does not have the same stringing skills, expertise and experience like you and what would the rating like? 3-5lbs in tension loss? That is a lot.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    true. but that's completely normal with any string. with any string, the 1 day, without hitting, you normally lose 1 lbs. with the first time in the court, another lb. and then play for a few more days, another pound.

this is within normal behavior. what i am claiming is that it is not any different than other string but for some reason, people seems to think that VS-850 is worse.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

kwun

Did you prestretch?

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    using my machine's pre-stretch feature. yes. but not anymore than that.

18. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

I just tried out the vs850 today with my new bs10, strung at 23 lbs (yellow)

I usually play with bg70 pro strung at the same tension. The vs850 feels a lot harder. Doesn't sound too different from my bg70pro. And the strings slide quite a bit.. kinda annoying.. hoping it will settle. I think I read somewhere that some of the colors are slippier others more grippier? anyone find this to be true? may consider getting a reel of the vs850s, but they only come in white so need ot make sure..

19. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

You can get a reel in black AFAIK

20. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

yes! keep us posted please!