How do I beat someone that always uses drops?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Cookies, May 2, 2009.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Very good tips, but I'm not sure whether Cookies understood all that you've said and if he did, whether he could actually display those skills required. :(

2. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. I could keep spamming but, I'd probably get warned and then have my comment deleted or something. :p

3. ragen

ragen Regular Member

student
    i have this problem before. infact,i was playing with this guys who are trained. they are very deceptive on smash and drop. he beat me with smile of 2-15. the best i could get was 6. and yes. he use slice drop shot!!!!
    he will jump high and suddenly drop the shuttle. i felt the electricity as i was preparing to recive the smash.

but, i realise if they can control the deception such that, mean they have alot of time on relies. (last time i play clear almost all the time)
    i learn how to do drive then. it work really well, no more deception fromthem as they have little time returning the "low clear".

yup, i won them at last. but it was not as a tight won every time. atleast it belance the game up...

my foot work suck at that times. hm, now still suck, but at least better i think
    i think 1 way to control over deceptive player was drive and drop.
    but, i dont think it work if your opponent are really trained...:p

another thing, cookies, i love your opponent style of play, can defend, but secretly, can also be agresivve

#43 ragen, May 14, 2009
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
  4. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    I know I just posted saying this but the key to winning in singles and well.. doubles too is..

Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork. Footwork.

5. ragen

ragen Regular Member

student
    yup...foot work is critically inportant in badminton.but if your shot is all loose and innaccurate, you will be a play around and controlled by your opponant too. and if your stamina is not good, your foot work will all gone to drain. may be second game, you are already unable to move around properly and quickly. but yes, footwork will support your shot and efficiency of your movement. (shoot or shot?) sorry,i have poor english

i think all come in one package, and u have to buy all to be a good player

6. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I don't use footwork, maybe that's why I lose and still only a beginner in singles.

7. ragen

ragen Regular Member

student
    hmm, in fact,i have also a very bad footwork. how do i train my footwork when i have a little free time only?

hmm,my house design is more to long than wide. any way to train footwork at home...please advise. thanks

8. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    It's actually pretty hard to train at home since training without anyone to watch you can make you develop a bad habit. If you practice wrong, you'll be used to doing it wrong. One day, at a club or gym, when there are other players around, focus on footwork only. Don't worry about hitting. If you can't get to the bird, you can't hit it. Remember that.

9. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

are we talking about singles or doubles here btw?
    Singles footwork is one of the key factors...i would say the most important.
    In doubles...it's still important to get to the birdie but cuz u hv a partner, it's a bit easier.
    So the key in doubles play would be how well u & ur partner understands each other. And basics doubles strategy of course.

10. phamd124

phamd124 Regular Member

Student
    If you read the other posts, you can tell this is singles. Of course in doubles, you don't have to move as much, but you have to have coordination and reflexes.

11. alphazed1

alphazed1 Regular Member

software engineer
    okk.. no offence meant... but i guess he s a lot more better player than u... secondly i guess u are just a beginner... playing with him on the court and trying to imbibe all the shots/options tht were posted here will not help... reason -- u play under pressure.. so u wud play the shots u r most confident with.. u will not try to take fancy / complex shots for the fear of giving him a soft ball to b smashed hard into ur face or mayb dropped...

the key here is to just practise practise and practiuse with someone over n over again... do not expect to work wonders in the court while u r at a game with him... doesnt work... so please pair up with someone better than u who can tell u how particular shots work...

happy playing buddy...:):):)

12. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Good point. IMHO, a great way to neutralise a more talented/skillful/deceptive player is to micromanage or play a safe shot, knowing his reply cannot be deceptive.

Concentrate on serving a perfect serve [take your sweet time] and playing straight drives or smashes at body or drop/clear to center to take away his angles.

If you can take away space, time and angles, you can neutralize his superior skills. [Not easy to execute, you need 100% concentration and willpower] :D If you make less mistakes than him, you win. But the game will be very boring to watch and your opponent will be very angry. :eek:

13. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    Gratz have this topic ... My dad always play drop when Im playing with him . He make me run behind the do the drop .. DAMN! My leg got injury many times because of my father's drop ...
    During warm-up .. he make lob so I can get tired
    Until now .. Ive never won on my dad ... I hope after read this topic , I can own my dad

Thx Badmintan!

14. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

If he clears and makes you go behind to the baseline, then you can choose to give him a drop shot instead of lobbing back and then letting him have the option to drop shot you.

Even if you lob it back to him, make sure it's high and you have time to go back to your centre to take the next shot. I find many players hit the shuttle then spends like 1 second or longer at their spot so see where it goes. It's a bad habit.

And...if you have the correct footwork then taking a drop shot should be a piece of cake. Especially if you've anticipated it.
    The next problem is what you do next with the drop shot, since you are at the front of the net, the same thing applies. You need to get back to your center, again in anticipation of the next shot.

See more matches and see how the pros do it. And try observing their foot. How they seems to be able to glide effortlessly through the entire court. Then have a friend watch you play, or take a video. See why you seem to be exerting so much energy and yet still slower.

15. DJRitt

DJRitt New Member

retired school teacher
    Wait till he gets to be about 59 (my age) and will probably find that drops are the only shot he can hit and that you can beat him quite easily.

16. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

By that age. He would have perfected the drop. Probably even harder to beat :D

17. spartansmasher

spartansmasher Regular Member

Marketing Exec
    i recently came across a very good article regarding badminton footwork skills. One of the pointer was to return in slower speed in subsequent steps after your first step during your return.

so the first step of your return should be as fast as possible and the next one (or ones if you're further away from the center) should be slower.

The theory is that if you return uniformly quickly including the final step towards the center... An experience opponent could just put the shuttle on the same spot where you hit it and using your own momentum against you... put you off balance.

18. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    Thank you very much ..
    If my dad do his drop(s) , and I continue the drop(s) with the net play then Ill totally eliminated .. So I need to continue with lob or some trickshot .. My dad just too good on net play ..

And again thank you .. Now I have oppurtinity to win on my dad .. Thx for the tips and advice!

19. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    Playing the drop right is critical, it has to be deceptive enough or your opponent will be ready for you at the net. Mix your drop well with straight fast attack clear, in this way they will not have the tendency to stand near the net.