NEW: Fixed Height Experiment for Service

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by CantSmashThis, Jan 10, 2013.

1. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I would love to hear from players of all different heights as to how much of a difference this rule really makes in serving. Luckily for me, I would get an extra inch :D

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Thanks. just measured that 3'6" exactly for me too lol. No way is Boe serving from down there:D

3. betazone

betazone Regular Member

this is bad for tall players, very awkward. But I think it's about time to introduce this definitive rule for serving

4. Normal

Normal Regular Member

"Badminton nets shall have a singles service-fault line, which shall be a horizontal yellow stripe 18 inches below the top of the net. When serving in singles, it shall be a fault if the shuttle is hit from above the service-fault line."

That is from a post made last year. The full post is here:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/110204-BWF-Announces-Key-Changes

5. Normal

Normal Regular Member

I found this in the forum from last year.

"Badminton nets shall have a singles service-fault line, which shall be a horizontal yellow stripe 18 inches below the top of the net. When serving in singles, it shall be a fault if the shuttle is hit from above the service-fault line."

No permission to post the link :(

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    43" or 110cm for me. i am 6' or 183cm tall.

it appears the variation is not that much.

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

lol so we are the same size and have the same measurement(to lowest rib), CST is 5" smaller and gets that same measurement how can this be? BWF have cunningly figured out that all rib cages sit the same distance off the ground?

8. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    im 6'1 and it goes about 3-4 cm under my bellybutton and I have pretty long legs compared to upper body
    I don't really notice much of a difference as my serves have never been at the limit of the rule

9. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

I would hope that 110cm corresponds to the underside of the netting. Just as there is a white tape over the top of the netting, there could be a yellow tape around the bottom. Would possibly require an additional string and/or mounting positions on posts.

Even so, I can see some limitations:
    1) The service judge currently sits behind the net, so wouldn't see the bottom of the netting. Courts would have to come with boards on the far side of the court in order for the judge to adjudicate.
    2) The service judge's seat will have to be height-adjustable, so that their eye-line is exactly as 1.10m.
    3) An alternative 'solution' would be to have the line judges at the rear of the receiver's court judging height, though surely they're far too far away?

Secondly, the rule would be nigh unenforceable for social, lower league matches. "lowest-rib" may give an advantage to taller players, but at least the receiver has some (albeit vague) reference.

Finally, what effect will this have on junior coaching. Will the very young learn to serve overarm & then have to constantly modify their technique as they grow?

10. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Currently the underside of the net stands 78.5cm from the ground.

11. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

at the moment the dimension of the net from the tape to the bottom is serving no propose, i say just make the bottom of the net to the exact 1.1m above the floor. thus before the match the umpire can actually measure it (with the same stick they are using now but with an extra mark showing the 1.1m) and the service judge actually has a physical line to judge on.

12. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Direct link to the download: http://bwfbadminton.org/file_download.aspx?id=422706

110cm is the maximum height allowed for the serve. Very young players will probably serve from a lower position.

13. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAxqn7oVUqU

check it out 19:01. The pros are going to have to go down at least a foot from where they currently serve. Bearing in mind the new rule would have them serving 18inches below the top of net.

14. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i still think the fixed height is the way to go.
    you don't see they adjust the basketball net to the averaged height of the team, nor the width of the football posts etc

15. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

I've just measured my elbow to ground with a surveying laser and get 115.9cm, which is about perfect for me with the new rules, 2 inches lower than my rib shouldn't affect my play much at all... (i'm 186cm tall or 6'2 thereabouts). I have a relatively conservative service in doubles and find that most of the time people end up hitting returns upwards.

For people complaining that it will affect them i'm above average height and if you're serving above 110cm you're serving at my lowest rib height ;)

However for those thinking that the shorter people will get an advantage, 110cm means that the shuttle HAS to go up over the net in trajectory, I don't see how this affects them.

#35 AimUk, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ok. stepping back a little.

is it really that big of a deal? as we already found out, the difference is maybe an inch or 2. which hardly of any consequence.

most of the issues with service judging is not really about the exact height of the waist, but instead the inconsistency and questionable timing of the service judging.

17. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

So what you are saying is that it's the service judges who need correcting and not the players.

How about some sort of altimeter built into the birdie which, if too high at service, will send a powerful TASER shock to the service judges chair and jolt them into action in a consistent fashion. Hmmmm, I like it. :)

18. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

As an umpire/service judge myself, I do agree when watching international matches that they are quite lenient. It is also hard that some players serve so fast and you have a small window frame in making some calls. I think they are especially lenient on short serves, as I guess they feel like it does not make TOO MUCH of a difference. I see a lot of short serves up to the chest go uncalled for.

This would lead to another debate though. I've sat in the chair, usually if you are to call a serve, you call it early at the beginning to let the players know but after that you just let them play as you don't want to ruin the match calling 20 service faults.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    just to clarify, i am not saying having a fixed reference doesn't help. it will make it better as now there is a much more defined reference instead of having the service judge "guess" where the lower rib is.

but still, we have seen a few times where the service judge quite interestingly calls a service fault at 19-20 while never called one before. players response is usually the "what?! i have been doing the same all game!"

to be honest though, if the player do fault every single time, i would call them all. if he/she doesn't correct it after 2 calls, then he is probably too dumb to play this game.

20. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Being tall is having advantage in playing already, giving a inch or two , what is the big deal.