Wang Lin ( 王琳 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

So I guessed as much it was Anterior Cruciate Ligament tear on her knee (I didn't have a good technical dictionary to help me and my Mandarin is quite limited).
    [​IMG]

Mister, I did say I didn't know how to translate the words in Mandarin, that's why I posted the original words bolded; neither did I say it was " just some ligament ". What's the lol for though I appreciate your help?

OK, now that I know the English rendering, it is anterior cruciate ligament - 前十字韧带 (Qián shízì rèndài)

2. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    Which leg? Same knee as the last major surgery?

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

So sad, it has to happen just when she is showing good signs of recovering her form by beating Saina Nehwal recently and probably overcoming her injury phobia too. Sigh.I was even entertaining the thought that she has a fighting chance of winning the upcoming MAS Open next January.

Wonder how she is taking it this time. Hope she is not too disheartened as to give up competitive badminton for good. At age 23 (born 30th Mar 1989), she can still make a comeback,just that the road to recovery in every sense of the word may be tougher, really testing her strength of character, willpower and determination. Such a pity.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The Chinese article didn't say. Anyway, even if it's a different knee,it's cold comfort.

Just hope it's not a dolorous blow to her, one which not only seriously dent her self-confidence but also adversely affect her mental strength and resulting in long-lasting phobia from which she may never recover again. An athlete's nightmare, third time unlucky.

5. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

yes, it's the fear to injured again that i afraid stay in her after this 2nd bad luck. hope it won't.

6. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Sad news indeed. Hope she recovers well.

7. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

I'd guess it's the same...

Poor Wang Lin! She really gets tested to the limit during her sports life!

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just in case some of you thought there seems to be a difference between the two terms 前交叉韧带 and 十字韧带, the Chinese characters 交叉 and 十字 are synonymous meaning 'cross, cruciate', if I'm not wrong.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's really bad news. I reckon it will mean the end of Wang Lin as a player. It can be fixed but there is always a chance of a re-rupture.

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  11. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

12. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    According to sohu sports news - Severe injury may force Wang Lin to leave Chinese national team. So it is confirmed, it is the ACL in the same leg that forced her into year-long hiatus in 2010-2011. I am not going to translate the article but to quote Wang Lin: "Badminton, I think it is best that the 'two of us' listens to fate and go with the flow". I can sense some resignation in that sentence, meaning that if she hits roadblocks in her recovery process she might retire from the sport. She also claim to be in a good mental state, because years of injury have taught her to be calm.

Well, as fans we may be forever doomed to watch her 2010 WS WC match to imagine what would have been...

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Very sad. She sounded devastated when making that utterance(in her microblog):" On Doomsday today, I really felt like saying - Badminton, let's just leave it to Fate."

Her first injury one month after winning the 2010 World Championship was [FONT=&amp]左膝前十字韧带和内侧副韧带断裂 - left knee Anterior Cruciate Ligament and Medial Accessory Ligament(hope I got the second part right) rupture for which she underwent surgery and was hospitalized for three months [/FONT]in Germany[FONT=&amp].
    [/FONT]

Her second injury occurred in June 2011 at the Singapore Open (Final match against WSX on 16th Jun 2011) and it was [FONT=&amp]半月板和踝骨损伤 - Meniscal Ligament tear and ankle sprain.That time she already took it quite hard, cried till her tears ran dry.As we know, she struggled a long time and failed to make the grade for the London Olympics.
    [/FONT]

This third injury is again the left knee anterior cruciate ligament tear - [FONT=&amp]左膝前交叉韧带断裂. Presently she is resting at a hotel in Beijing, her parents and a teammate are accompanying her while she awaits surgery - date unconfirmed, maybe next week.[/FONT]

Is Wang Lin's career really finished? It took her almost two years to come back from her second injury. For this third incident,even if she puts in superhuman effort and strives with grim determination, can her body, esp her knee(s), take it? Yeah, ACL reconstruction is the easy part, it's the after-effects that's difficult for a badminton player who is constantly subjecting her knees to pivoting,jumping and all the short but frequent bursts of dashing about on court. As some are wont to say, it's the wretched fate of a beauty.

Heartbreaking, for Wang Lin, and Wang Xin as well. Not forgetting the other injured ones, Zhong Qianxin, Xia Huan, Guo Zengdong, Chen Xiaojia. Also Cai Yun and Chen Jin to a lesser extent. Really hope Wang Shixian's comeback is a smooth,successful one, as injury-free as possible,all the best to her.

#1313 Justin L, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  14. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Very sad news indeed. She is almost 24. Even if she recovers fully and get back to competitive form, she would be 25, possibly 26. Would that be too old for the Chinese National Team?

I hope she can get a coaching job oversea that she can make a decent living and go to college. She is my favorite WS player. I hope she has a good after-badminton-career.

:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    According to Badzine, Wang Lin will be travelling to Germany for another knee operation, this time accompanied by her parents and an "unidentified" team member.

http://www.badzine.net/news/the-end-of-the-road-for-wang/22761/

I wish her the very best. Hope she recovers fully. Even if she cannot play competitive badminton at the highest level, she is just too intelligent and talented a player to walk away from it all. She has a lot she can give back to the game in many ways. But first, some time away from it all, re-evaluate things in life and all that, I suppose. An amazing lady.

16. Ton-Min-Bad

Still shocking, I have to admit. Did she push it too much after her recent results?

My best wishes for a rapid recovery!

17. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Unfortunately this could be the end... for it to happen to the same knee 3 times, there's no way for her to climb back up at this point...

But what she could do is help coach so at least shes still involved with the sport even though she's not playing... she's always welcome to come to Sydney, Australia ;D

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

As with the original ACL, a second ACL can also rupture. It's a risk inherent to elite sports persons. There are two types of hamstring graft for the ACL - single and double bundle. I am curious to know which one she had. Personally, I don't think she will be back playing at the highest level.

She'll either be a coach or re-invent herself as a model or actress!!

#1318 Cheung, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  19. Ton-Min-Bad

You're right, there's always a risk. But if it's the same knee twice again, it can't be a coincidence.

Didn't she say that she was still in fear of getting injured again? So my theory would be that she might have needed even more time in order to overcome her trauma. Obviously her body still told her to kind of hold back.

I'm not sure if the reconstruction technique is that important in the end. It's not just the acl that is responsible for knee stability. It's more of an all around thing. I'm curious what reconstruction material they are going to use for the upcoming surgery?

Well, could be that she won't be back playing at the highest level. But still: there are professionals with the same fate (soccer players for example) who managed to get close.

If she prefers to work as a coach in the future, I'd suggest her staying here in Germany! ;-)

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You are probably correct it is no coincidence. I don't know if any studies have been done in badminton players but it might be the non-dominant leg that is more susceptible to ACL rupture.

As for the reconstruction, the new graft could be reconstructed from tendons from the same leg or tendons from the other leg. In any case, the leg is weaker than original. I am not entirely sure but Chinese girls seem to have more hyperlaxity that might make them more susceptible to injury.

I take your point that soccer players get close to their original level. I think the difference is they can be partially covered by other team mates and the action is not always concentrated around them. 90 minutes is spread over 10 outfield players - for badminton singles , a 45-60minute match is concentrated on the one person without much of a break. It's very demanding on the body.

As for coaching, she'd be welcome here in HK as well!