Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    For the first in this LOG I've just watched slightly more than half the second game of LCW's demolition of CL. And I must say I'm impressed.

LCW showed no hint of his recent injury. He was fast, powerful and accurate and had CL flustered most times. CL was forced into making unnecessary errors. On top of his rejuvenated performance, LCW displayed an unusual and fierce determination never seen before. He went for all of CL's shots and succeeded in returning them with interest most times. His most outstanding trait this time seems to be his courage to go for the kill at the slightest opportunity and this frighten the wits out of CL.

Indeed LCW's belated comeback is remarkable and his confidence has soared a level higher in time to face his nemesis and constant foe, LD, in the finals. We thought his injury has destroyed his ambition but it seems to turn out to be a blessing instead. It will be a final quite unlike the Beijing Olypmics when LCW was mesmerized and became rooted to the ground on LD's home turf.

Not this time in neutral London.

Do expect a titanic final battle between two superstars!

#8541 Loh, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  2. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    I am very delighted when Dato prevented all CHN Final in men single discipline by defeating CL straight sets with high margin of score differences. All the best for the final, I hope Dato prevails.

3. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I posted before that the injury could be a blessing (rest, no pressure, etc) for Dato. I have not seen the game but based on the score and LOH reporting, the injury was no issue and Dato is fit to go all out. If LD wins his 2nd gold, he truly has to work for it with no bodyguard to assist him, no Thing to guide him and his other bodyguard has been destroyed by Dato, and he is on his own.

4. limb7567

limb7567 Regular Member

student
    The Star report:Chong Wei meets Lin Dan in final (Update)Published: Friday August 3, 2012 MYT 9:43:00 PMUpdated: Friday August 3, 2012 MYT 10:43:47 PMBy S RAMAGURULONDON: Datuk Lee Chong Wei has ensured that Malaysia returns home with a medal after he stormed into the final of the men’s badminton singles with a convincing 21-13, 21-14 win over China’s Chen Long at the Wembley Arena.He will meet China's Lin Dan on Sunday. The top Chinese shuttler easily beat South Korea's Lee Hyun Il 21-12, 21-10 in the other semi-final.Chong Wei won the silver medal at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 when he lost in the final to Lin Dan.Then Chong Wei was the world number one while the Chinese at number two. This time the role is reversed with the Chinese having taken over as the number one in June.His silver in Beijing was the only medal won by Malaysia in the 2008 Games.With the silver medal in the bag, Chong Wei said that his aim is the gold.“I treated tonight’s match as my last and went all out. I did not want to play for the bronze.“My performance was a surprise to me too as I was able to stay in control and the match strategy worked well.“I want to go for the gold medal. I have nothing to lose and I do not feel there is much pressure on me. I had promised to make the final and I have delivered.“To the Malaysians I make this promise – I will do my very best to win that gold. Nothing else matters,” he said.Chong Wei admitted that this was his best game in London and felt that all the hard work since coming back from an ankle injury was worth it.“I always had the thought that my Olympic dream would be dashed at any time after the injury. But it is great to be back at my best. And even then I am only 50% of my old self.“It does not matter who I play in the final. I want to win it. Chen Long was also under pressure to stop me and that is why his game suffered a little.“But more importantly we knew what to do and I had worked it out with my coaches,” he said.Chong Wei was in his element in the first set as he took control of the match from the first point. He stormed to a 6-0 lead before Chen Long took a point off him.From then on Chong Wei build on his lead and to go 11-5 and 19-10. He allowed Chen Long to take two more points off him at 19-13.A leaping smash by Chong Wei gave him the set point. And another Chen Long blunder at the baseline gave the Malaysian first set at 21-13 in 23 minutes.Chong Wei used his drop shot and base line to good effect and was helped by the mistakes from Chen LongIn the second set Chong Wei again started off leading and was 6-3 when the Chinese caught up with him.Chong Wei then reeled off three points to keep his lead and soon moved to 10-7.From then it was a game of chase as Chong Wei was forced to work hard to keep ahead of Chen Long.Chong Wei extended his career wining record over Chen Long to 7-4 and then never looked back as he winning 28 eight minutes in 21-14.

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think LCW underlined my points quite clearly today.. Not much wrong with his form or his foot.. And pretty darn impressive play!!

At least I think we both can be happy of his win and great display of badminton play!! even if you think the injury was soooooo sooo bad for him and his chances :)

/T

6. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    "...a twisted ankle is really not an injury that should be overstated."

?????

Get ready for more missiles coming your way :D

7. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Both played well in the semi final.

Even though Chen Long lost with a score of 13-21 & 14-21

it wasn't an easy game for LCW. Let's see how he recovers before the final.

As for Lin Dan, he wasn't in top gear most of the time so we really can't see his current performance from this match :D.

Lets hope LCW can recover fast then we would have a titanic final! :D

8. flite

flite Regular Member

Not even close from your previous post. Your main point was that he had a lot of rest and that's it. You did not even mention about all the other factors. Don't just pick and choose what suited you.:rolleyes:

Did you notice that he said he was worried that his Olympics dream would be dashed anytime after the injury? Only with a lot of hardwork he is able to come back but only 50% compared to his old self. He was surprised himself with the performance against CL today. Did you mentioned all these on your previous post?

On the injury being a blessing in disguise so that much pressure is taken off him and he taking a rest long overdue, its already been mentioned in my post #8477. Five pages up!:eek:

Anyway cheers twobeer, my friend.:D:)

9. amaze

amaze Regular Member

We salute your determination and spirit, Lee Chong Wei. May you win the gold you so desire and deserve. Our best player ever produced.

10. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

lee chongers was an absolute beast today.

solid, consistent but also measured precision with attacking mindset.

LCW looking scary good - who would have thought he suffered an ankle injury?!!?

i do worry for LD in the final. maybe we'll get a match similar to the 2011 World CHampionship final??

really, it depends which LD turns up on the day. I believe in OG 2008 LCW was rock solid all the way through to the final. Then LD god level turned up.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Although Xu Chen and Issara/Jongjit show more fist pumping and have louder shouts, I've also noticed that LCW is uncharacterisitically displaying more emotion and aggression with some shouting and fist pumping when he wins a hard rally. It's good to see him this fired up and determined for the gold. Perhaps the ankle injury and time off for recovery is indeed a blessing in disguise for him to recuperate both physically and especially mentally.

Indeed this Sunday will be the final ulimate battle between these 2 giants before their supposed retirements. Should be exciting to watch no matter who wins. But best of luck to LCW! :D

12. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    So you think he would not have been worrying about his olympic dream without having twisted his ankle when playing Peter.. Come on now :) Isn't worrying kind of his thing and Achilles heel?? Has he played any major, even in best of shape without worrying???

On the injury being a blessing in disguise so that much pressure is taken off him and he taking a rest long overdue, its already been mentioned in my post #8477. Five pages up!:eek:

Anyway cheers twobeer, my friend.:D:)[/QUOTE]

You are the one turning around here I am afraid.. I point out that the effect of the ankeltwis two and a half month ago should not be overly exhaggerated, and then you come at me with quite a hostile verbal personal attack, Then turn around to say that you essentially agreed and even had posted similar views "that the injury could even be a blessing in disguise" before..

So If that was really your view, Why so hostile when people try to tell you that maybe that torn ligament wasn't "that" horrible for his preparation to begin with, and that, mostly fans, exhaggerate it ALOT..

13. flite

flite Regular Member

I understand your emotion is running high after LCW's match. Understandable.

You can go and write all your might to save your butt but what you'd written in post 8532 is there for all to see. If you have problem in understanding what you wrote yourself then just say so. I'll forgive you on that.

Anyway let me remind you what you've said. Your main and only point is LCW had taken enough rest prior to the Olympics and that is exactly why he should perform. To you a sprained ankle with torn ligament is nothing serious all a long. Even when it was so near to the Olympics. That's all.

So what I've stated in post 8534 stay. I gave you plenty of facts and explanations with regards to it.

Then came your post 8545, that you eased off a little after being bombarded, with some twist and turn here and there conveniently picking on points that suits you argument. Good try.

Then I replied with post 8548 pointing out to you all the facts I pointed earlier in relevant to LCW's post match statement (post 8544) so on so forth. I did not turn around at any point of time. In fact it further proven my points. It was you that only choose to see one role the injury play on LCW and didn't recognize all the hard work that went with it!!

If my last sentence with the smiley icons gave you the impression that I am "turning around", then sorry to say you've got the wrong signal. I would happily and gladly retract that final line.

You knew better that at the beginning you got your facts wrong. No one ever exaggerated about LCW's injury. It was in your own opinion that the injury is not serious but that's all you have to say. You have no facts or whatsoever to back you up. So pls. get all your facts right in the first place!

#8553 flite, Aug 3, 2012
  14. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    You may want to re-read my post. Becuase you seem to have not understood what i wrote, or my english was not good enough to make it clear to you. My point was that does make little sense of using the thorn ligament as a big excuse for any loss of performance and exhaggerating it just to overestimate and exhaggerate LCWs achievements this OG.

"If he looses he can alway "blame" he was not 100% recovered from his twisted ankle that occured 2 months and 12 days ago!!! And If he win fans could say it was even more impressive!!"

Enlighten me what points have you proved?? And When?? Do you mean that you somehow have proved that LCW is very much hampered by the twisted ankle in TC? How?

You keep telling me I get the facts wrong but you never care to explain WHAT facts you think I have gotten wrong? It is quite hard to argue if you are not specific in what facts and arguments you think are wrong, and just resorts to general hostileness in your posts.

If I got some facts wrong I am willing to discuss and hopefully get my facts straight or increase my knowledge, but it doesn't seem like you are intersted in that sort of discussion?!?

/T

15. flite

flite Regular Member

Don't waste my time going in circles. I am smart enough to learn from my past experiences with you.

Talking about facts, what facts you presented in the first place? Not even an elaboration from you. All was just your personal opinion and your ultimate goal is stated clearly in the last sentence: if LCW loses he can always blame he was not 100% recovered from his twisted ankle that occurred 2 months and 12 days ago!! And if he wins fans could say it was even more impressive!! ​ Where are your facts. I only see accusation here. Talking about jealousy and haters huh?:rolleyes:

Come to your claim that LCW's fans exaggerated about his injury and making big excuse for any loss of performance?? Where? Which post? I don't see any.:confused: It was all but a simple sentence by sonnymak (post #8530) that you quoted. Did your claim comes from thin air?

You can play dumb or ignorant but my answer is very simple: in relation to your post #8532, all I wanted to say was made very very clear in post #8534. Go and reread as many time as you like. All 3 posts are in page 502!

#8555 flite, Aug 3, 2012
  16. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

battle of the internet warriors underway!

there can be no winner to these contests... :(

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Care to explain what you meant by this?

18. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    Just curious, will all, alot, or some people be watching this upcoming LCW vs LD match in Malaysia? Is it like a Manny Pacquiao fight in the Philippines where essentially most of the country shuts down?

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Wise words there!!:) Let's cheer for an exciting OG final, and maybe finally a well deserved major title for LCW over LD when it really matters the most!!

I am just bothered when people post things towards me like "Another loads of BS as usual!", "...but you are so ever lacking congruity. You just brought absurdism to a new height.:eek:", "All you worry about is LD's medal value if he successfully retain the gold. We will give him the credit he deserve cos not everybody is like you." etc.

I should know better than to feed the trolls :)

Cheers,
    T

20. visor

visor Regular Member

It's always better to go in with lower public expectations and pressure, and then deliver more... better than the other way around. ;)