let's together answer : what is the ideal tension?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by kwun, Nov 14, 2003.

1. quintessence

quintessence Regular Member

Certified Badminton Coach
    Hi

String tension is a relative thing. There is no absolute answer. The variables are listed as follow:

1. Temperature
    2. Atomspheric pressure
    3. Humidity
    4. Thickness of the string
    5. Strength/power of the player

The general rule is that the higher the tension, the better the control but lesser the power/rebounce.

The higher the local temperature and humidity, the higher the tension. This has an effect on the elasticity of the string.

For example, in Hong Kong, string tension of #24-28 is considered normal. In Canada, it is normal to string to #22 in summer and #18 in winter. In Sweden, it is usually strung to #15-#16 in winter.

For the same reason, faster/lighter shuttles graded #6 or 80 are intended for average local temperature of 10C (range 7-13C), whereas slower shuttles of grade #2 or 76 are for average local temperature of 30C (range 27-33C). In between, #3 or 77 are for 25C(range 22-28C); #4 or 78 are 20C (range 17-23C); and #5 or 79 are for 15C (range 12-18C). This is because shuttles travel slower in colder air (densed air) and much faster in hotter air.

The thickness of the string affect the "true" tension as well. The thinner string of 0.66mm (e.g. Gosen: Alan & Susi) stung at #22 will have the same effect as a 0.70mm (e.g. gosen 70 Pro) stung at #24-26. However, the 0.70mm can go up to as high as #33 and is more durable.

Racquet tension is usually kept as secret amongst the top tournament players. They will bring with them their personal stringers in major tournaments.

Thanks

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I tend to disagree with a lot of people on that, when they refer to high string tensions as less power. I feel that the high tension means less of a trampoline effect, where the mass of the shuttle can make it bounce off with a lot of force. The normally means more "control", as in the variable bounce of the shuttle is less existant, and one finds it easier to control the bird with their own power, instead of letting the bouncing bird control itself.

As well, with the absence of a trampoline effect, generating power is harder, because of less bounce. However, if enough swing force is provided to allow the strings to flex, the high potential energy in the strings, should cause power to increase. Except, if you cannot cause the string to bend, it will seem like there is no power in the racquet because there is no trampoline effect to aid in power generation.

3. cyrusx

cyrusx Regular Member

Student
    thanks for your responses. your information is very useful. I'm still a kid. ( maybe teenager)
    im only grade 10, and you know what power that I have.
    My power is weak. and i just a beginner. So, what's your string reccomendation for me, for my AT250? because im so confused to choose the good string. thx!

4. Khawai

Khawai Regular Member

Try BG66 at 21 lbs.

5. cyrusx

cyrusx Regular Member

Student
    ok, i will try it! btw, is it too low?? ( 21lbs )
    and what is the difference between BG66 Sharp and BG66???

6. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    bg-66 sharp, more sharp feel, a little bit better repulsion, but considering the price, then i still choose bg-66, except money doesn't matter for you

7. romizone

romizone Regular Member

Profesional Player
    But unfotunately In Indonesia , a lot of badminton shop doesn't have , correct or calibrated string machine.

Its difficult to choose a correct tension , if you stringing in differen shop or different machine .

25 lbs in one machine is not 25 lbs in another machine....

8. issarakaya

issarakaya Regular Member

Operational Dir.
    Found 24X26 lbs NBG98 is my ideal tension and string right now and considering to up to 25X27lbs......:D

@romizone
    Dont forget stringer in here always suggest to high tension like 28-30 lbs to every people asking about ideal tension no matter they are newbie or master in this sport......so not only the machine must be calibrate but the stringer also :eek:

9. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    my ideal w/ nbg98 also ~ 25lbs

10. Xirion

Xirion Regular Member

DJ
    om sifu...
    i'm using armortec 700 but with 68ti string but i feel that it had less power than my armortec 250 with bg66..
    any recomendation string for my armortec 700 do i can do a more powerfull smash? bg66 or n98?
    thanks before (terima kasih)

11. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    BG68Ti 24.5
    NBG95 25

That's my best option so far, but I'm thinking to retry, since I'm not sure about that option and I'm not going to cut them T_T... They're pretty "spicy" for my pocket lol xD...

12. tomblos007

tomblos007 Regular Member

drop from 27 lbs to 22lbs, cause i had arms pain few month ago, the 22lbs makes me play slower but i feel more relax and no worry abt my arms

13. Maxphi5

Maxphi5 Regular Member

Student
    Perfect exemple of why having a good string is better then having a great highend new expensive racket with bad strings (BG 68ti is bad in power compard to BG66)

A good string for the At700 if you want RIDICULES power would be the NBG98 but your string control is going to suffer... Alot. The BG 66 Has good control aswell a great power but durability wise, not so good. Shouldn't be a prob for you since you already have the BG 66 on the At250 so you don't care as much for durability?

But if you want a good all around string, i personnaly prefer BG80 (Like many other players) As good durability, great power (not as much as the BG66 but great none of the less) and good control.

Just my recommendation:rolleyes:

14. NiTroXiTy

NiTroXiTy Regular Member

Student: Teacher in Computer Science
    I have a question.
    Most players here use about 17 lbs (8 kg) of tension. Mostly they use BG80, BG95, BG65 and Flex 21.
    What I read here, is that a lot of you use 22 lbs (10 kg) or more. So what's up with that? Are you all pro's, or am I missing something?

15. modious

modious Regular Member

17 lbs? That is extremely weird.

Most people I know string their rackets between 23 - 28 lbs.

16. NiTroXiTy

NiTroXiTy Regular Member

Student: Teacher in Computer Science
    Yes, I know it is weird.
    I'm probably mistaking, but I'm trying to find out where...
    Lbs is pounds, right?
    I use the Google-convertor for lbs/kg-calculations.
    I really don't understand it, but I'm going to ask it in the shop again.

17. Hs_merc

Hs_merc New Member

I use 3 of Original Armotec 900 Power with different type of sting and tension with using Digital Electric Yonex Stinging Machine (ES5PRO):

BG-80 @ 32lbs, Smash rating: 9 of 10; Control rating: 5 of 10
    BG-80 @ 29lbs, Smash rating: 8.5 of 10; Control rating: 7 of 10
    BG-85 @ 28lbs, Smash rating: 7 of 10; Control rating: 9 of 10

If your wrist is not strong, dont try this at home. Your wrist or arm will be pain..

18. teddy_kkk

teddy_kkk New Member

Real Estate Negotiator
    Just to check, if my girlfriend is a beginner, not much strength as well, what's the best string tension for her? Btw, thinking of buying a flex or medium flex racket for her, which better suits her?

As for myself, I am not the strongest guy but still packs a punch, so what's the best tension and flex for me?

Thanks in advance....

19. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Chances are, she'll want a flexible racket strung at a low tension. (20Lbs maybe slightly higher or lower - play around with it a bit)

For you, I'd go for a medium-stiff racket strung at a medium tension (24Lbs or so)

20. teddy_kkk

teddy_kkk New Member

Real Estate Negotiator
    Wow, fast answer.... Thanx!

Noted, will consider about it (actually, after reading all the forums, that's more or less what I'm thinking of doing).

Thanks again....