Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Signature

Signature Regular Member

Thank you for telling! I know that I have some footwork flaws and I have pretty inconsitent strokes. But i will try to work with my footwork in the front!

Thanks, I turned 15 2 days ago :)

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

yeah, i would have guessed 15...:)

of course you lack some power, but that will come in the next 2 years or so (at least that's my experience from the juniors i know...).
    as many junior players, you have some problems concerning consistency. but you have what it needs: good technique, quick footwork. concentrate on playing consistent and less error prone, more power will come by itself.

keep up the good work, you're on a good way i think!

3. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    Don´t expect much, but finally I made a video of the best rallies we played in the training.

As the shirts always change (we have many^^), it is not easy to indentify me^^ I´m the one who tries a few dives (I wear the sleevless shirt in the first ralley)xDD
    Feel free to give me/us some hints for improvement ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzjpycDe3NE&feature=youtu.be

#1503 KB@TB Em, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

First things i noticed are that you tend to grip the racket very high and too flat when playing a forehand (and don't pronate) - and that no one uses their left arm very well at all :D
    You also waste a lot of angle by not playing the shuttle at the highest point possible, but very far below that. Try to stretch your arm more when playing a shot, and rotating your body into the shot :)
    Anyway, nice rallies. Good consistency in those :)
    What level do you guys play at?

#1504 j4ckie, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

And finally, I have something to set me apart from the other players again....orange shoes! :D Really uncomfortable compared to my trusty Victors, but those bit the dust and are considerably more expensive. I'm comfortable enough in them to play matches though - here the very first match of this season. Men's doubles with my new partner. Please ignore my gruesome performance in the first game :D

[video=youtube;YhvPEIuticc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhvPEIuticc[/video]

6. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Nice Jackie you really seem to be progressing rather quickly all that training looks to be paying off! Your movement is quick and there are less errors than your other games.

Is that the guy you were playing with in the other training matches you posted? I can't really tell, he looks like he's helping you boost your game and the pairing looks very coordinated already, which is nice for a new pairing and looks promising for the future, definitely stick with him. There were some really good defensive rallies and parts where you were converting it into counter attacks sucessfully, moreover you had good awareness of each other.

Only thing I could notice that was going wrong was what I'm quite guilty of in doubles too - defending too side on sometimes- example around 25:30 if you were standing more level with the court you would find it easier to defend with your racquet being infront of you and using a less forehand dominated grip there. I'm sure in the video I post next i'll be doing exactly the same thing though- takes one to know one ;)

#1506 AimUk, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks =)
    No, he's not in any of the training videos. He's (as you can see) the most athletic guy on court and has the best movement and smash....otoh he's played a lot longer than I have, so maybe I'll get there eventually :D Played in a higher team last season and wanted a more relaxed, enjoyable season now.
    And thanks for saying I look quick :D - I felt okay, but thought I looked awfully slow. I had been sick for ~3 weeks and had only 1 full week of training before this, and although my shots are not impaired, the physicality is not back to 100%. Noticed that again in today's training. Awful stamina, and slow feet (might be the new shoes though, they feel awful when I'm under pressure).

8. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Haha, yep being out of full time training does make you feel sluggish, but you definitely moved quicker the further into the game. He does look experienced but at least you'll pick it up quickly. With regards to those shoes, I personally got advised against them by a friend who ripped through them in 3 months, so I bought another pair of SHB200 that were on sale. Apparently the support around the front is very weak- which might explain your issues.

If you want an example of slow footwork i've just uploaded the last game from the tournament I played in Belgium over the weekend. ;)

Won the B2 doubles and C1 mixed, fluffed up singles in 3rd round. Only managed to start recording at the end of the 2nd set- by which time we had the opposition sussed (they weren't as good as the other pair in the box but were still a challenge at the start). Definitely starting to enjoy badminton after a summer off from playing.

I was also playing with someone i'd never played with before and probably won't again until I go to the Normandy tournament in late March, he was a good player to be with though, despite our contrast in play styles.

[video=youtube;EZXkOVpDrGs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZXkOVpDrGs&feature=g-all-lik[/video]

9. |_Footwork_|

hi jackie

really like that doubles-play. you 2 play aggressive, try to control the game (only a few lifts, lots of drops, blocks, smashes) and you play pretty well together. you two are pretty good when you play aggressive and attack. that's what doubles is all about, right?
    ;)
    only a little remark: i saw a few strokes, where you did quite a big movement with your racket. as long as you attack/drive/block, it's all right! but sometimes in defensive play (lifting at the net or smash-defense), your racket head moves quite a long way. you could work on that to make that movement a bit shorter, i.e. working more with the wrist and the underarm, less with the whole arm!
    especially when lifting, you can take the shuttle a bit earlier and add some deception, as your opponent will not see the difference between the lift and a block/net shot.

but again: pretty solid doubles game, i definitely like your gameplan and your positive attitude on court!

aimUK: who are you in the vid?

10. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

The taller one of the two in black, sorry I didn't say ;)

11. |_Footwork_|

hi AimUK

please, no fishing for compliments concerning the speed of play/footwork as opposed to jackie...;)
    definitely like the way you 2 play together (especially for it being the first time you play together!!). good pace, you really dominate your opponents.

in principle, i like your singles game more than your doubles play. let me explain why:
    you have that very "relaxed" style of play, i.e. controlling the pace of the game, taking out the speed where necessary, it all seems quite smooth, especially in the singles vid. that style is better suited for singles than doubles. in my opinion, you're a bit too "well-behaved" in doubles. it starts with the service return for example. watch where your partner stands (at the service line) and how he attacks the service and follows through to the net. maybe you should try to incorporate that in your game, controlling the net and attacking at the net is crucial to playing doubles. a bit more aggression overall would probably put your game to a higher level (you already play very well, don't get me wrong!)
    apart from that, you show a very nice understanding of the game, you play a lot of well-placed shots which makes it hard for the opponents to counter-attack. quite clever play! still, i like your singles play better...:)

12. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Hey footwork,
    Thanks for your comments it was entertaining to read ^_^, I love singles but I'm just not fit enough at the moment, maybe in a few months again i'll have it sorted. I was trying to say i'm impressed by his speed, mine is a ton more relaxed in this one and i'm actually quite jealous of jackie hehe.

As I said in the comment before the video, we knew had pretty much won this match & tournament by the time this game was recorded so there was no urgency in my game, and that may explain the relaxed nature of my play. Unfortunately I don't have any other footage to show- which was a disappointment, I can assure you it was a very different story in the match before hand, but the "camera man" had other priorities.

13. |_Footwork_|

don't get me wrong, your standard is certainly quite a bit above jackies (no offense against jackie intended, he has improved quite a lot in the last months!!).

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'd love to test that theory :) That last doubles match was certainly not up to our standard. But to be fair, that was mostly the opponents' fault....those serves were AWFUL. Looked like our 6th or 7th team :/
    I have a hunch you'd beat me in singles though, Andy - if you're ever in Germany, gimme a heads-up ;)

Anyhow, thanks for the positive feedback, Footwork. I was pleasantly surprised that my racket wasn't quite down to my ankles most of the time, which had been pointed out in the earlier vids, and will try to work on my defense a little more. First and foremost, though, is footwork and strength training. :D

#1514 j4ckie, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

PS: The shoes have adequate support, what throws me off is the super-stiff sole, which is too high in the front. It's also got the awful "rebound" dampening, which (while perhaps slightly beneficial to the performance) is not the best for my legs. The Victor shoes had a much thinner sole at the front and a softer, cushioning dampening in the heel area. Very very comfortable, and even though the sole was thinner than the SHB-86s, they were easier on the legs. Kind of underlines my opinion of Yonex shoes being rubbish. I'll give these another week, but if I still have the feeling of wearing steel-toed boots then, I'll get myself another pair of the SH9000.

16. |_Footwork_|

didn't try these orange ones, but just had the yellow yonex shoes (SHB-92M). they were not bad, but now i'm back to the good old SHB101/102. they are perfect for me (fwiw: i'm a bit taller and heavier, too). they are certainly worth a test!
    had some victors and they were quite good as well, despite the fact that i ruined them pretty fast. imho, there's no big difference between the newer victor and yonex models concerning quality, just try what fits best to your feet.

[h=2][/h]

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I've already ordered the next pair of SH9000 - they were perfect for me. No shoe has survived longer than 3,5 months so far, be it Yonex or Victor.....durability seems to be just the same :D
    For my size, I'm actually not all that heavy. With being sick 3 weeks and getting back into training 1,5 weeks ago I've lost 6kg (83->77) :D

18. |_Footwork_|

you look a bit heavier, must be the muscles that makes you look heavy...
    i'm slightly over 80kg. badminton shoes are probably made for 55kg small people, otherwise i can't explain the fact that they are broke that fast...;)

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I drag my left foot when I lunge, so they keep getting holes at the tip.... Not exactly sure what muscle you're talking about though :D

20. |_Footwork_|

are you trying to do something against that dragging?
    i used to have that "problem" some years ago, but somehow it disappeared, don't know why... (bad people say i don't run that much anymore, that's why my shoes last longer, that's of course a rude lie...;))