Core Strength and Stamina.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by AirStyles, Mar 31, 2012.

1. AirStyles

AirStyles Regular Member

Student
    Playing badminton yesterday. Had 2 very tough singles game.

During the 2nd match, 2nd set, I couldn't move as I hoped anymore. My movement feel very restricted and my body do not want to move as fast as I wanted it to.

My legs feel fine, I'm not having trouble breathing, I can even do full power smashes off every single high serves or clears my opponent feeds me. In the end, I lost my second match in the 3rd set at roughly 26-24.

I went home thinking I'm going to be sore the next day, to my surprise, I feel almost 100%. (Minus some mental exhaustion). My thighs, my shoulders, my back, my hip, everything else feels normal, just like a day after training.

The only part that's hurting, is my abs...

Dumb Question...

Did I lost my mobility because of my core strength is too weak?

Because all my limbs are fine as fresh. I remember my whole torso was hurting during the 3rd set...

2. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

It could be yr lungs for not breathing properly or wrong timing of breathing during extraneous rally. Just my 2cents.

3. AirStyles

AirStyles Regular Member

Student
    Can you elaborate that?

4. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

making sure you exhaling on the moment of exertion is an example.

try planks for core endurance

5. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    Running is what you need to do. I had the same problem but now I run 15/20miles a week and it helps a lot. I can do 3 games and go off court not even tired.

6. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Yr abdominal/lung muscles somehow 'messed up' or sprained because trying too to breathe too fast. The reason of going too fast/wrong timing has to do w/ yr stamina during the rallies. I am not too good at explaining but I hope u get the idea.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Air Styles,

I think that your hypothesis is the best, after all it's your body and you know how you felt. The abdominals and back muscles do a lot of work in all the changes of direction and in the shot making. They tire easily if they are not in shape. I think you are on the right track. Good luck.

8. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Your back muscles + core acts as a power transfer from your legs up to your upper body, so yes a pull or strain in your core muscles can make you overwork your legs or arms in that respect.

Do you train everything else heavily and not your core? It is one of the most important muscle groups to have very strong, you may have the best running legs in the world, but if your core is weak, your balance is off and your movement and hitting will never by as well synced as it could be.

Quite simply put, bigger build people tend to struggle more, particularly because each movement requires a larger amount of engery to move the bigger body mass. So unless you are fairly slim, singles gets harder the more weight you have. The TV cameras don't do the professionals justice to how skinny they are (tv adds 20lbs haha).

For some reference, I am 90kg, about 15% body fat so fairly in shape, but i'm 6"2 so I have a hard time runinng around a singles court (doubles is my preferred game) as I'm far more suited to explosive movement than larger court coverage due to my muscle build.