Malaysian Juniors 2008

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by erin_hakkinen, Dec 14, 2007.

1. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    chris, just win one??? alamak.. haha

2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    keke...thanks...^^...:D....

we want more than 1...^^...:p

3. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

LOL, then you two want Lydia 1 tourney win 2 titles?? WS & WD at same time?? :p:D

4. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Monday September 15, 2008

Malaysian back-up shuttlers have work cut out
    By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: Youngster Lydia Cheah’s tame defeat in the final of the Taiwan Open yesterday reaffirmed that Malaysia’s back-up shuttlers still have a lot of catching up to do on the senior international stage.

The 19-year-old Lydia blew her chance to land her first Open title, crashing to a 8-21, 19-21 defeat by India’s Saina Nehwal in the women’s singles final.

Despite the defeat, Lydia, the winner of the Vietnam Satellite in June, was the best performer among the back-up players in the tournament in Taipei.
    [​IMG] Nothing to shout about: Mohd Arif Abdul Latif’s early exit in the Taiwan Open exposed his vulnerability on the world stage.

In the men’s singles, Mohd Arif Abdul Latif and Tan Chun Seang crashed out in the early rounds against unheralded players, exposing their vulnerability on the international stage.

The doubles pairs of Mohd Razif Abdul Latif-Tan Wee Kiong and Hoon Thien How-Ong Soon Hock also showed that they still have a long way to go after losing to established pairs — Mathias Boe-Carsten Morgensen of Denmark and Candra Wijaya-Tony Gunawan respectively — in the semi-finals.

Boe-Morgensen went on to win their first title this year, beating the Indonesian-American combination of Candra-Tony 22-20, 21-14.

Coach Rashid Sidek said that Lydia had herself to blame for the defeat.

“She was playing in her first big final. She was quite tense in the first game and made too many mistakes,” said Rashid in a telephone interview.

“In the second game, she had more deceptive and attacking shots and was even in control until 13-8. Then, she collapsed again, making just too many silly mistakes.
    “Lydia is a good player but her problem is that she gives away easy points to her opponent. She makes it difficult for herself.”

Rashid added that Lydia and the other back-up shuttlers needed to put in much more hard work.

“Overall, our back-up players are still not there yet.

“They have to train harder in order to match the pace set by the top players on the international stage. More exposure at the higher level will certainly help them,” he said.
    There was double disappointment for Malaysia yesterday. Nusa Mahsuri’s Mohd Roslin Hashim went down 18-21, 21-13, 10-21 to Indonesian Simon Santoso in the men’s singles final.

http://www.thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2008/9/15/sports/2028341.asp&sec=sports

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    she can do it...in junior day...:p

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yesterday is khoo chung chiat birthday...happy belated birthday...:D

7. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    ZOMG!:eek:
    Arif's face looks EXACTLY like one of my friend's!
    His hairstyle, his expression when shouting (my friend only plays football, tho), perfectly similar!

Malaysian friends, got any answer for this question?
    I'm still curious...

How old is he now?

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli

fainted....i still not sure....but i think some of them yes...
    he is now....erm....wait,checking,erm,21...HEHE...:D

9. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Monday October 6, 2008

Macau second place has whetted Julia’s appetite for bigger success

KUALA LUMPUR: Shuttler Julia Wong settled for a runner-up finish in the Macau Open yesterday. But she was not too disappointed with the result.

Julia was beaten by an experienced world number four Zhou Mi of Hong Kong 13-21, 19-21 in 36-minute women’s singles final.

The first game was a disaster for the Malaysian number two but she can find some comfort in at least making the 2003 All-England champion slog for victory in the second game.

But Zhou Mi, who has grown into an established world star player since leaving the China BA in 2005, did not crumble under pressure and showed her class to claim the fourth titles this year after the India Open and the Super Series tournaments in South Korea and China.

The 21-year-old Julia, who has yet to win an international Open title, said that she was satisfied to be the runner-up in Macau.

“The odds were heavily stacked against me. Zhou Mi has done very well this year and all I wanted was to give her a good fight,” said Julia in a telephone interview.

“It would have been nicer if I had given her a better fight in the first game. I made too many mistakes. Fortunately, I managed to stay longer on the court in the second game. Overall, I am satisfied to reach the final.”

It was only her second final appearance in an Open international. She was also the runner-up at the 2006 Philippines Open.

Julia added that her mission now was to make her mark in the Super Series. She will be heading for Denmark for the ninth leg of the Series scheduled for Oct 21-26.

“I feel more confident of myself after the Macau Open. Now I want to be consistent in the Super Series. I have always crashed out in the early round thus far and I want to go further,” said Julia, who scored a creditable victory over China’s second stringer Wang Lin in the quarter-finals in Macau.

There was double joy for China’s newcomer Zhao Yunlei yesterday. She won the women’s doubles with Cheng Shu and partnered Xu Chen for the mixed doubles crown.

http://www.thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2008/10/6/sports/2196774.asp&sec=sports

1st was Lydia getting runner-up, now's Julia, go gals!

10. victory

victory Regular Member

Julia wong did very well in macau open. Fantastic! Julia and Lydia cheah are the young women players to watch right now. They are young and full of potential. Hope they can make their big break faster to share the burden of Wong Mew choo. But our junior WD?

11. eaglehelang

NST

8 OCt 2008

Badminton: Back-up shuttlers told to think big

By K.M. Boopathy

2008/10/07

RASHID Sidek has challenged the back-up shuttlers, who will be promoted to the senior squad, to start thinking big and go the extra mile to justify their inclusion in the 2012 London Olympics project. Chong Wei Feng, Arif Latif, Tan Chun Seang and Liew Daren are certain to make the grade in the men's singles, while Julia Wong and Lydia Cheah are the women's singles who will be part of the four-year programme.

The players were in Rashid's back-up squad for the last three years and he feels promotion will put them under more pressure, but eventually force them out of their comfort zones.

Rashid admitted that their current level is far off from Lee Chong Wei and even trail Hafiz Hashim and Kuan Beng Hong, so they must grab this opportunity to become top class players.

"Once they are part of the London Olympics programme, they will be under pressure and this is something good for them. Only then will they start working harder and become better players," said Rashid.

"While with the back-up squad, they didn't have specific targets and they were not thinking big. The target now is the Olympics and if they remain in the comfort zone, they will not make it.

"Chong Wei is still way ahead of them and even Hafiz and Beng Hong are better. The newcomers have no choice but to make the breakthrough in tournaments and produce consistent results."

The progress shown by Julia, who finished runner-up in the Macau Open on Sunday, and Lydia, the Taiwan Open runner-up, has been encouraging but Rashid wants them to remain consistent.

The coach said the duo have the skills to match the top players but have only done so when they were the underdogs and expects this mentality to change.

"Julia missed a good opportunity to win the Macau Open. Zhao Mi was playing in her third consecutive tournament and would have conceded if Julia had pulled her to three games," said Rashid.

"Lydia too gave up easily against Saina Nehwal (of India). Respecting opponents too much doesn't help and they must start being aggressive.

"They play well as underdogs but when favoured to do well, they crumble.

"Julia and Lydia must sustain the current momentum and being part of the 2012 Olympics project should have a positive affect on their mental approach."

Olympics project coordinator Kenny Goh will have a meeting with Yap Kim Hock, Misbun Sidek, Rexy Mainaky and Rashid tomorrow to finalise the number of players in the elite squad.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Wednesday/Sport/2369012/Article/pppull_index_html

12. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Li Mao was right. They should just scrap the xx Project Squad. That is the main reason he was dissastified and quit BAM.
    Those who perform well in local tournys or in training (regardless of age) should be sent to international tournys instead of priority given to those at Project Squad.

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    good spirit...high hope...

Tuesday October 14, 2008

Razif-Tan game for Thomas Cup tilt

KUALA LUMPUR: Doubles shuttlers Mohd Razif Abdul Latif and Tan Wee Kiong are more than determined to established themselves as the third ranked men’s pair in the country.
    And their declaration has added more spice in a fight among several new pairs to take the spot behind the top two pairs €” Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Mohd Faurizizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif.
    Razif-Wee Kiong are now ranked 53rd in the world standings after having competed in only four Open tournaments in Singapore, Indonesia, Taiwan and China Masters this year.
    They made heads turn by reaching the semi-finals in Singapore and Taiwan. And their best win thus far was over the Chinese second ranked pair of Guo Zhengdong-Xie Zhongbo in Singapore.
    [​IMG] High hopes: Tan Wee Kiong (left) and Mohd Razif Abdul Latif hope to cement a place as the nation’s third best doubles pair.
    The other pairs fighting for the recognition as the country’s third pair are Ong Soon Hock-Hoon Thien How (world No. 48), Goh Wei Shem-Ong Jien Guo (57), Tan Bin Shen-Khoo Chung Chiat (58). All the pairs have played no fewer than five international tournaments to date.
    The 23-year-old Razif said that it was their mission to be in the team for the 2010 Thomas Cup Finals hosted by Malaysia.
    “I am glad that the coach (Rexy Mainaky) had teamed me up with Wee Kiong. Our chemistry is good as a pair,” said Razif, the younger brother of Zakry.
    “We have only played in four Open tournaments and we managed to climb to the 53rd spot in the world. It is a good start.
    “We hope to do better. Hopefully, we will be able to play at the next Thomas Cup. But it will be a bonus for us, if we can even move up to become the country’s second ranked pair within the next two years.”
    Rexy initially named Razif-Wee Kiong for the back-to-back Super Series Opens tournaments in Denmark (Oct 21-26) and France (Oct 28-Nov 2).
    “We were overjoyed when we saw our names in the squad. But Rexy felt that we were not ready yet. We agree that we need more training to improve on certain areas of our game. We hope to get to play in the other two Super Series tournaments €” China Open (Nov 18-23) and Hong Kong Open (Nov 25-30).

source from:http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2008/10/14/sports/2259358&sec=sports

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    Shuttler Vivian Hoo made the switch from singles to doubles play this year.
    And she has no regrets over the decision. It has given the 18-year-old a better shot of ending her career in the junior ranks on a high note at the World Championships, which begin tomorrow in Pune, India.
    The championships start with the mixed team event from Oct 24-28 followed by the individual competitions from Oct 29-Nov 2. Vivian will play in the mixed doubles with Mak Hee Chun and she will team up with Sannatasah Saniru for the girls’ doubles.
    Her chances for honours are better in the mixed doubles with the talented Hee Chun. The duo emerged as the Dutch Open junior champions in March and were the runners-up in the German Open junior championships.
    In the mixed team event of the Asian Juniors in July, Vivian-Hee Chun scored an upset win over the fancied Kim Ki-jung-Hye Won-eon of South Korea but their efforts were in vain as Malaysia went on to lose the semi-final tie 1-3.
    Vivian is determined to do well in her final outing in the World Juniors. She had to skip the championships last year because of the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) examinations.
    “I made my debut in the World Juniors (in 2006 at South Korea) as a singles player but I did not go far. The competition is greater in the singles,” she said.
    “It has been a different experience for me this year after switching to play in the doubles. But I have grown to like it. Now, I think, I have a fair chance of doing well in my last appearance in the World Juniors.”
    The lanky Vivian is bent on emulating Lim Khim Wah-Ng Hui Lin, who emerged as the mixed doubles champions in last year’s championships in Auckland.
    “I hope that Hee Chun and I can defend the title for Malaysia. China and South Korea also have formidable pairs but I think our standard are about the same with them,” she said.
    “We have combined well and winning a title in our first tournament together (at the Dutch Open Juniors) has given us a lot of confidence. We just have to play our normal game.”
    Besides Vivian and Hee Chun, the other mixed doubles pairs are Teo Kok Siang-Sannatasah and Pang Zheng Lin-Chong Vee Vian.
    In the boys singles, Malaysia have Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin, Kuan Kam Chung, Mohd Syawal Ismail and Goh Soon Huat in their team.
    The boys’ doubles pairs are Hee Chun-Teo Kok Siang and Pang Zheng Lin-Chooi Kah Ming. The girls’ singles line-up comprise Tee Jing Yee, Florah Ng Siew Fong, Tiffany Chase-Currier and Ng Sin Er. The other girls’ doubles pairs are Vee Vian-Lai Pei Jing.
    For the record, besides Khim Wah-Hui Lin, Malaysia’s previous world junior champions are Tan Boon Heong-Hoon Thien How (boys’ doubles, 2004); Chan Chong Ming-Joanne Quay (mixed doubles, 1998); Chong Ming-Jeremy Gan (boys’ doubles, 1998); and Chong Ming-Teo Kok Seng (boys’ doubles, 1996).
    Courtesy of The Star

source:http://www.bam.org.my//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=682&Itemid=1

15. cheekygen

cheekygen Regular Member

I can't help but to think the player's fate is in the hand of the coaches. Vivian Hoo is not far from Lydia Cheach's standard but it is irony that she was not given the same treatment and opportunity as Lydia.

16. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    Hafizi and Hafifi are twins and yes, they're a part of Hashim brothers.

Not sure about others tho..

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    As the thread starter, erin_hakkinen has gone missing for period of time

:D:D:D erin_hakkinen ... It's great that you are back.

As the thread starter here, you have gone missing for period of time.

:):):)

18. eaglehelang

NST

2008/10/28
    Badminton / World Junior Championships: Malaysia grab bronze

[​IMG]
    Vivian Hoo won her matches in the girls’ doubles and mixed doubles.

MALAYSIA clinched the mixed team bronze medal at the World Junior Championships by edging gritty hosts India 3-2 in a hard-fought tie in Pune yesterday.
    Vivian Hoo-Sanatasah Saniru secured the winning point for Malaysia with a tough 21-14, 13-21, 21-9 victory over Sikki Reddy-P.C Thulasi.

Malaysia got off to a brilliant start when Teo Kok Siang-Vivian beat RMV Gurusaidutt-Prajakta Sawant 21-8, 21-17 in the mixed doubles.

However, Saina Nehwal leveled for India with an easy 21-9, 21-6 win over Florah Ng in the girls' singles.

India took the lead when their top boys' singles shuttler, Aditya Prakash edged Iskandar Zulkarnian Zainuddin 21-12, 20-22, 26-24.
    But Mak Chun Hee- Kok Siang put Malaysia back on the track with a 21-14, 21-13 win over Sai Praneeth-Pranav Chopra before Vivian-Sanatasah secured the winning point.

On Sunday, Malaysia were beaten 3-0 by top seeds China in the semi-finals.

Doubles coach, Jeremy Gan, in a telephone interview from India, said the Malaysian shuttlers were delighted at having achieved the bronze medal target.

"They are on the right track of making an impression in the individual event. We hope for medals," said the coach.

The individual event starts today.

Chun Hee-Kok Siang are favourites to win the boys' doubles title.

RESULTS -- Bronze medal: Malaysia 3 India 2 (Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin lost to Aditya Prakash 12-21, 22-20, 24-26; Mak Chun Hee-Teo Kok Siang bt Sai Praneeth-Pranav Chopra 21-14, 21-13; Florah Ng lost to Saina Nehwal 9-21, 6-21;

Vivian Hoo-Sanatasha Saniru bt Sikki Reddy-P.C Thulasi 21-14, 13-21, 21-9; Teo Kok Siang-Vivian Hoo bt RMV Gurusaidutt-Prajakta Sawant 21-8 21-17).

Final: China 3 South Korea 1.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Tuesday/Sport/2386510/Article/index_html

19. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports

Tuesday October 28, 2008

Our mixed team beat hosts India to finish third

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia did better than the previous year by finishing third in the mixed team event at the World Junior Badminton Championships in Pune yesterday.
    But the inconsistent performances of Asian Junior champions Mak Hee Chun-Teo Kok Siang have raised doubts over their chances in the individual championships, which begin today.
    [​IMG] No fight: Mak Hee Chun (right) and Teo Kok Siang were outclassed by the Chinese players in the semi-finals.

Malaysia defeated India 3-2 in the playoff for third place and all their points came from the doubles matches.

In the semi-finals against China on Sunday, Malaysia were beaten 0-3 and two of their best bets €” Hee Chun-Kok Siang and Hee Chun-Vivian Hoo €” were outclassed in the boys’ doubles and mixed doubles matches. And this does not not augur well for Malaysia ahead of the individual competitions.

Hee Chun-Kok Siang went down 11-21, 11-21 to Chai Biao-Qiu Zihan while Hee Chun-Vivian were crushed 10-21, 14-21 by Zhang Nan-Lu Lu.
    Coach Jeremy Gan had mixed reactions.

“We crashed out in the quarter-finals at the last championships. For me, it is an achievement to reach the semi-finals,” said Jeremy in a telephone interview.

“But I am disappointed with the way our players lost against the Chinese players, especially our doubles players. They could have done better. I am worried over their inconsistency.”

The draws for the individual competitions will be released today and Jeremy is keeping his fingers crossed that they will be favourable to the Malaysians.

“Our hope is still in the doubles events. Our players must make a quick rebound. It will be good if they do not meet players from China and South Korea in the early rounds,” he said.

In the last championships in Auckland last year, Malaysia won one individual title through Lim Khim Wah-Ng Hui Lin in the mixed doubles.

Meanwhile, China lifted the mixed team title, beating South Korea 3-1 in the final.

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2008/10/28/sports/2387783.asp&sec=sports

Congrats to the Juniors for doing better than last year

20. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    thanks for the warm welcome chris :p

i've gone for period of time i dont even know its WJC rite now!