2012 Australian Open GP Gold: Semi-Finals to Finals matches

Discussion in 'Australia Open 2012' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2012.

1. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Not much of a sacrifice is it? Spend your life in the shadow of your more illustrious team mates for not much recognition or get paid well to go to a more developed country for the sport you love to play....

No brainer really...sacrifice would be moving to a third world country where your life is in danger on a daily basis and you get little reward.

2. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    1. Minatsu Mitani
    2. Karen Foo Kune

3. Heong

Heong Regular Member

After watching this tournament I've become a big fanboy of Bae Youn Joo!!!

Took many pics, got autograph and a shirt from her. Supported her throughout the tourney to the finals and even bought a massive South Korean flag

She also has a nice and outgoing personality. Someone who is easy to talk with - my Korean friend had no problems talking to her for the first time

Unfortunately she didn't win. But I'm glad she's not hard done by it and she gave it her best. Will be following her in the next few tourneys and wish her the best... I'll definitely miss her!

Bae Youn Joo aja aja hwaiting!

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The sacrifice may not necessarily relate to finance, which is normally the pull factor to entice one to move. It may be of no problem for westerners to be uprooted from their families and homes and social network as they have been trained to be more independent from young.

However it is more difficult for Asians especially those who are from non-urban areas. There exists this cultural difference. For our teen badminton imports, it was worse as they long for
    home and their parents especially during their early years.

Then there is this jealousy that singles them out as foreign imports that should be shun that put them in bad light and cause unnecessary unhappiness .

Not all foreign imports will succeed and they have to fend for themselves unless there are agreements to provide for their welfare.

So it is not a no brainer as it appears to be. Foreign imports have to consider carefully.

In any case Singapore is basically an immigrant society with our forefathers originating from as far as China, India and the Middle-East. We are also used to having foreigners working on
    our multi-national corporations. But we also have political leaders from Malaysia and elsewhere who are now looking after the welfare of our citizens. These foreign political imports are very much our own Singapore citizens and they help Singapore to pull out of poverty to what we are now.

So we still need foreign imports of every kind who can help us grow from strength to strength.

#224 Loh, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  5. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Isn't it Aza Aza?

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Actually it should be easier for an Asian than a westerner. Westerners usually stay close to their families and are not routinely separated, whereas asia. Families, especially chinese tend to be separated from their children for schooling or sporting reasons, or just because their families have to work. This is more common in rural families as well.

I have first hand experience of this :(

7. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    aza or aja is depend on the pronounce from different country
    hehe

8. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

I think you totally miss my point.

Yes that's good for the players who could find their sport life resurrected in another country, good for that country who could have some instant glory, and maybe good, as you said, in bringing up the standards in that country...

Yet is it healthy for the sport itself?

Look at TT and badminton, you could easily find Chinese origin players all over the place in many many countries' national team, include Europe, Americas, African nations. Like instant noodles, some of the countries rely on these imported players to get immediate results instead of wholeheartedly develop their own players... So sad... I cannot see this with similar serious extent in other sports.

Unlike SIN where the population consists of many Chineses, these players may not really make their countrymen proud of them. Look at USA team, did the WC in MD they get years ago brought any significant impact to badminton there?

Anyway, if anyone could just feel good if someone brings glory to u, and if this would eventually kill the sports, so be it.

#228 Jonc108, Apr 8, 2012
  9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Not to worry. I think TT is still thriving and their world body is doing a good job of popularising it worldwide.

I think SIN has definitely benefited with greater interest in the game as a result of our foreign talents' success and our local born will increasingly aspire to be like them.

The spreading of sports talents around the world will generally be beneficial in the ways that I have mentioned previously. Countries that need help but chose not to do so by trying to develop their own
    talents will find the journey more difficult.

But each country has the right to do things its own way to achieve success, depending on their unique set of circumstances. Therefore one should not criticize those who may choose the non-conventional solution and succeed.

The world is already globalized. Increasingly talented young men and women are transversing the world to look for better opportunities. Changing of citizenship is no longer a taboo. The US is a great example, so is the UK.

Who would want to criticize France for its "foreign" soccer talents? It did not kill the sport, instead soccer prospered. Brazil is exporting its soccer talents all over the world and help to raise standards. Is this wrong?

Only narrow-minded, myopic individuals full of jealousy and hate are the ones who will be killing the sport.

#229 Loh, Apr 8, 2012
  10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think you are probably referring to China with poor families who are relying on the government to take care of their "talented" kids. They have not much of a choice, neither have the kids who are forced to be separated from their families to ensure a "better" life. These kids longed for home and they only get their wish if they performed badly in the sport chosen for them.

11. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Jealousy? Kidding me?

Pls read post #17 in the following thread:http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...and-get-replaced-another-country-to-host-a-SS.

Btw,

1. The chairman of TT world govn body just expressed his worry (after this year's WC weeks ago) that the rest of world other than China is way way behind China (particularly Europe except Germany) because of their non-sustainable strategy in developing TT in their own country and nourishing their own local heros.

2. The head coach of CHN team also express their worry that many countries were just eager to import CHN players other that receiving help from China in coaching and establishment of a training system.

3. "foreign" soccer players in France team? Are u kidding me? They are the 2nd or 3rd or nth generations of migrates and were nourished from childhood in French soil! They are not adult players directly imported from elsewhere!

Let's see how SIN TT would be in 10 years time, whether they could get rid of all imported players and arrive with some glories with local heros. I would be happy to see that.

I hope we could discuss here with a rational manner and not blinded by egoism.

#231 Jonc108, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Apply for citizenship in their adapted new countries and to represent them

Regarding the players: It is sad that players have to leave their families, friends, countries, etc, ...... But then, it's the players' work (and income) and their love for their sport (that they wish to continue with) that they are willing to move to another country to play. Perhaps, their situation is similar to students going abroad to study and/or workers going abroad to work.

It's all about work opportunities. :):):)

Regarding countries' National Sport Associations: It can be said that they wish to show their governments that they (as funded by their governments) shall do proud, by asking talented players to play for them. Perhaps, this is similar to a talented student studying overseas being asked to remain/stay in their countries of study, where excellent job opportunities and income/pay may entice them.

One of the most popular sports in the world, Soccer, does things differently. FIFA allows talented players to travel overseas to play (and to earn an income). However, when it comes to FIFA international matches, players are allowed to represent their countries of origin/citizenship. An example: Top Brazilian Soccer players always return home to represent Brazil whenever they are asked to play for their national team.

From what I see, it is really up to the players. They can break ties with their countries of origin and play for their adapted new countries. However, they will need to apply for citizenship in their adapted new countries before representing them.

#232 chris-ccc, Apr 9, 2012
  13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    It is more prevalent in poorer families, but I am not poor :)

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Poor, but happy

There is a saying: "Poor, but happy".

Comparing to the saying: "Rich, but sad". :):):)

#234 chris-ccc, Apr 9, 2012
  15. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I am not sad either:)

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I am not sad either

Then, you could go either way. :D:D:D

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton was also criticized for having so strong a China. But the game goes on and other countries are catching up. The standards have narrowed.

How each country develops its own athletes should be left to its national sports associations. They may adopt different approaches but will finally settle for one which suits their circumstances best. And these approaches may not remain forever and can change again depending on circumstances.

I think our TT administrators have done a good job in a rational manner and SIN rightly deservesthe success that came out of it. Nothing egoist about celebrating success because it doesn't come easily in today's competitive sports world.

Therefore it will be unrealistic to predict what SIN can achieve in the future. It is certainly a good moto to enjoy today's success when it lasts. But success will inspire further success that our foreign talents have brought to our shores.

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    On the contrary, I'm inclined to believe that Eastern culture per se, encourages closer and lasting family bonds, and Western culture encourages/promotes more independence and separate/distinct lives once youngsters attain a certain age, and oftentimes regardless of the conditions. Lifestyles and goals also play a part in fashioning the nature of these bonds. Overall though, the distinctions are getting more blurred than they used to be...

I am saddened to know that your personal experience has been not very happy, in this regard. But you've got yourself a much bigger, borderless, multi-cultural family now - all of us at BC! :) :) :)

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    We are family! I got my all BC with me!

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Talking about Asian families, in Singapore we have this unique housing problem.

Land-scarced Singapore is almost totally urbanized but most families cannot stay together forever. Landed properties, especially bungalows, are in short supply and beyond the reach of many.

As a result more than 80% of residents live in HDB (Government Housing & Development Board) flats. When the children get married, chances are he will leave his parents to start a family in a HDB flat. The size of the flat will depend on the combined income of the couple.

But many couples would like to live near their parents so they try to wait to get a flat which is suitable.
    So the government has been beset with many complaints and unhappiness, when young married couples could not get the wish.

The situation has eased recently when a new Minister took over and released many more HDB flats, most of which were quickly taken up. So it is fair to assume that many couples have been satisfied somewhat.

The government has gone further not too long ago to build flats that can accommodate the parents in his children's flat. In such a setup, the parents have their own room within the children's unit, separated by an internal staircase perhaps.

The children prefer to stay with their parents so that the latter can help look after the grandchildren or to supervise the maids. They still retain some form of privacy both for the parents and the children.

Just an example to illustrate how Singaporean culture is taking place as it relates to the family.