Sport Psychology in Badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by macazteeg, Mar 29, 2009.

1. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    yes, this is another type of reinforcement, it's called negative reinforcements, but according to research pro athletes are both externally/ reinforcement driven and internally/ self-motivated, in the case of Lin Dan, external reinforcements are fear of punishment, being a social outcast and other socially driven negative reinforcements, positive reinforcements which includes a simple praise from his coach, fans or whoever, and internal motivators such as the need to provide the basic need of his family and himself, the basic motivation to survive.

To produce an elite athlete, it must be a balance of the proper reinforcements given by the people or the society around him that will lead to internal or self reinforcements in which the reinforcement already comes from within, that is havinf self-motivation or drive to sustain any hardships that will come in his way to success.

In the case of the kid you need to provide him with positive reinforcements like praise, money or whatever until he has a sense of self-motivation, when he is already internally motivated and produces the proper responses (attitude, proper stroke etc.) at the same time enjoys playing badminton, then comes the punishments or negative reinforcements.

2. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    why would the chicken get to the other side without any reason? probably the chicken got to the other side because it saw some food, or any other stimulus which is rewarding/ reinforcing him to go to the other side. :)

3. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist

If there are a hundred voices in your head which tells you to kill somebody, probably you would do it to make the voices shut up

4. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    Anyway guys, Im no expert, im just 19 years of age by the way! Just trying to answer your questions using the knowledge i've learned in school, basically just trying to help

5. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    And of course, that was welcomed here. Keep it on.

6. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Sorry for being offtrack.

Is Asia Badminton still in business? I cant find the magazines here in SG:(

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    isn't it much easier to go see a doctor and/or a shrink?
    Also, doesn't this show negative reinforcement is more powerful and effective than postive reinforcement? I think in a democratic society, u can't convince someone to kill innocent people for no money, theoretically speaking.

#47 cooler, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i'm no expert either, i just like to hear teachings from the academic side of things;)

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

that was my point, why does psychology make it their formal set of principle to explain human behavior when it is an widely accepted beliefs that people/animal do things for a reason, plus there are exceptions to this which common people knows that too. This exception to the psychology's rule is so intriguing that they made a movie out of it, remember james dean's Rebel without a Cause? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAlzg0S51GY&feature=related Can psychology explain why some people rebel without a cause?

#49 cooler, Mar 31, 2009
  10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Another example of negative reinforcement related to badminton is :

“Hafiz is still the skilful player we all know. In India this time, he was able to push himself, probably because of the stern warning from the BAM,” said Rashid.

It seem all the past positive reinforcment since HH's last success in 2006 phillipine open,didn't work.

11. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

You're right, it's got to be carrots and sticks.
    Just look at the child of an over-indulgent parent and you'll see the results of unmitigated positive reinforcement.:eek::(;)

12. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    True, but no one's talking about pampering. We don't want them to be pampered, or be hampered too.
    You can still apply this to kids, but Fergie must be ridiculous if he wants to keep Ronaldo through his negative reinforcement. Like it or not, special offers etc still play the role.
    As for Hafiz, he's been given chances over and over, because the choices for Malaysia are limited. I don't think we pampered him too much, coz i remembered once he complaint about his income and pardon me, but i think he got another job other than being a pro-player to support him.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

it is still called pampering when he got paid and produced nothing.
    It is easy to say we dont like pampering our kids or torture our kids but no one know where to draw the line.

#53 cooler, Mar 31, 2009
  14. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Not really, cooler.
    We payed him to play, and he did that. Of course he owned the money he got.

But i'd like you to suggest any Malaysian single player's name during 2004-2008 to replace him. Juniors are too unprepared to be apart of MAS team in previous Thomas Cup etc.

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Great work,macazteeg!
    How about giving BAM some free consultation?
    What would you say to HH to get him to train harder than LCW?

16. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    That is why I've said before that before the negative reinforcements must come, a player should already be personally reinforced/ self motivated, in simple terms one must already have a personal reason to play and excel, there should be a balance of the positive reinforcments especially when the individual is already personally reinforced, more positive reinforcements can create a certain comfort zone in which a person might opt to stay with, like with the case of HH. However this is not an example of negative reinforcement, this is an example of punishment. Negative reinforcement and punishment differs in a way that: Negative reinfrocements are aversive conditions which where known to an individual which causes the individual to avoid the aversive condition, this motivates him to elicit a positive response, a punishment however is an act or behavior that presents an aversive condition when an individual elicits a negative response (giving warnings, yellow card or red card in a badminton match). Both should be given when a player is already self reinforced. In the case of HH, I think he might have lost that sense of self-motivation, that is due to the overwhelming amount of postive reinforcements he had a created a comfort zone in which he already chooses to dwell. The only solution is for him to find reasons for him to play again and get to the top, at the same time these punishments given to him should get him out of his comfort zone, if he never finds his own reasons to play again these punishments are sure to make him quit.

17. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist

That job presented a better reinforcement to him

18. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    Man, I think they already have their own sport psychologist, especially chong wei, he has his own personal psychologist. Well I can't say anything to HH, he must find his own motivation to play, that I can help him find if ever I can get to talk with him (as if Im his own Sport Psychologist :D)

19. rohanh

rohanh Regular Member

Frustrated

Hi (I saw your thread just afterI posted my other message!)

I started playing badminton at the start of last year, and I have been playing 2 or 3 times per week plus been having 1 on 1 coaching sessions for the last 9 months (which include 2 or 3 games of singles against good players eg. at junior national level). I concentrate on singles rather than doubles.

I cope pretty well during coaching, managing to cope with the drills etc without making too many mistakes. But when I play singles games in tournaments, I just can't seem to apply what I have learned in coaching to the actual games. It's like I have not remembered anything.

I think a major part of the problem is mental - I get too nervous before games and seem to freeze up and not concentrate enough on doing the right movements/shots. Perhaps I'm also putting too much pressure on myself to win?

I guess what I'm asking is: how do I apply what I have learned in coaching to the games, and what mindset should I be in in order to do so?

Thanks for your help.

20. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Hey, I've been asked to play at a tournament in a nearby city. I'm taking the place of my friend who is FAR better than i am in doubles.

Any who, I'm worried that the tournament is in 2 days, and i have only one day left to practice with my partner. We were practicing today and we were doing O.K, but i don't feel that it is good enough in order to compete against the other schools in the tournament. Also, my coach says to always stay calm, relax, and focus while i'm serving, but every time I'm about to serve, my heart's pounding and i can never focus.
    What should my mindset be on while i'm playing, and will i be able to be prepared for the tournament ahead? Would i be able to fulfill the roles of my position, and have confidence in my playing if i were to think as such?