2013 Indian Badminton League (August 14 - 31)

Discussion in '2013 Tournaments' started by chris-ccc, Feb 19, 2013.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Please see the above quote for all the commentators, Gary Bloom is obviously the English one. Good ears, he sounds like EPL commentator because he was:D

#921 craigandy, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    No wonder he sounds so familiar. The other one being Martin Tyler, whose voice is BPL.

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

No wonder. Thanks for the clarification, mate:D

4. terranova

terranova Regular Member

Another value for money buy is Tanongsak. Only peanuts USD15K and only lost 1 game and won 5.

Bad buys are Juliane Schenk USD90K, won 3 and lost 3
    Also TMNguyen $44K and only won 1 game and lost other games to those all ranked below him. I have not looked at all players and there may be more duds and more diamonds

Steen and that lady Madhumita were the better commentators and able to discuss the technical aspects of the games. There was one other guy who was crapping and partly clowning and clearly did not know much about the badminton scene. For non-badminton playing fans like me, I want commentators to know their stuff and tell me certain aspects of the game I do not know.

Also other negative things about the broadcast:
    -Mayanti should stop interviewing people while game is in progress. If she wants to do it while game is in progress at least the cameras should remain focused on the court. Better that she interview them during the break why interrupt the game when it is in progress?
    -Also Mayanti should at least translate what the VIPs say when she interviews them. if she cannot translate what they are saying, get an interpreter. For goodness sake there is a global audience watching and last thing they want is for viewers to be turned on not understanding what is being said.
    :D

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I think Ideal an ideal commentary team is to have - one who has charisma(can clown), passion, and looks at the emotional/personality side of the game(also who is happy to talk about controversial stuff) and the other to be a highly knowledgeable technical guy that gives you the facts great insight to technical side, and straightens out any mis beliefs by the fans:D.

Gary bloom the guy you are talking about isn't great at all because he misses a lot of essential parts of the ideal, but he does bring some personality to the commentary. Just having a couple of technical folk commentating would get boring, and you would miss out on the emotional insight side of the game:)

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

TMN and Hu Yun were terrible buy's both at nearly $50k and did not have to play anyone of higher rank and lost more than they won. Hu yun losing to a 130 something player then injured.

Chong wei Feng $25k played one lost one:D

P Kashyap $75k never played anyone of higher rank and lost more than he won.

Tied 2nd most expensive Male Indians R.M.V and B. Sai Praneeth at $40k each won one lost several.

Schenk borderline $90k and nearly was able to take down every WS only to lose very tight games with Saina and P.V on home ground

STAR BUY OF THE IBL
    Anup Sridhar $6k 100% winning record, beat a $50k player:D

7. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

MVP or Star buy should be a person that wins, versatile enough to be fielded in multiple disciplines and indispensable to the team. It should not be based on purchase price alone.

8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Haha sorry I was just joking about the star buy being Anup. He only played once, still not bad value, good going. It's hard to find a star buy saying all that because there is no point in choosing someone who only beat the second tear shuttlers(or off form Kashyap) like Ivanov. It would need to be someone who punched above their weight as well. Someone like Ivanov was just lucky to get who he played. But you can't ignore his contribution by any means. Kido work horse yes, outstanding no.

No real shine out players that fill all criteria for - $, took out top players and versitile and won most of the time

9. alans

alans Regular Member

"Kido work horse yes, outstanding no "

I don't know what you mean about best buy. All I know Markis Kido got 9 from all 16 win points while the icon AW only got 4. Fyi : Lcw got 6 from 12 win points

10. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Kido looks extremely focused and serious in his game. Good to see him back to his previous form.
    All the best to him in the finals.

11. Jimmy_Goh

Jimmy_Goh Regular Member

Seems like the IBL website is not working now . . .
    I want to read the news and watch the Live Streaming tonight.
    Anyone can advise other Live Streaming website?
    Thanks

Screen shot 2013-08-31 at AM 10.46.40.jpg

12. bennydut

bennydut Regular Member

student
    Seems working for me...
    Live Streaming at youtube... I always do...

13. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    On the contrary, the fact that LCW knew that he did not have to smash his way to a convincing win shows that he has class and confidence, because as a player, if he can win without smashing, it shows that he understand the game and strategy better than the opponent. But of course, you feel you don't get your entertainment's worth. In other words, you would appreciate the game better if you understand the game better. Something like tai chi, the harder you try to strike your opponent, the harder you will get hit back with your own vengeance. Quick and hard sounding smashes are very entertaining, but that's a narrow-minded view if badminton is nothing but smashes. Look at how LD evolve his game by covering all four corners with superb accuracy without smashes and you will begin to understand.

14. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

U are entitled to your own opinion but who the hell are you to say I am narrow minded?
    Stop having a big brother know it all attitude and appreciate the fact that different people have diverse preference when it come to enjoying sports. The whole stadium was subdued and bored to dead. I rest my case.

15. terranova

terranova Regular Member

Not sure if other guy was Gary Bloom. Couples of times the other guy was asking Steen/ Gopichand/Madumita some out of field question when Steen/ Gopichand/Madumita was talking thru games being played. They sounded irritated and did not immediately reply his questions. Badminton is obviously much shorter quicker and very intense game compared to tennis for eg. And at blink of eye can miss certain shots or critical points. Last thing we need is some commentator who is less well versed in badminton to interrupt the rhythm.
    Yes it is great to have a fun comical commentator to loosen up the proceeding but someone who is more knowledgeable about the game. An example I can think of us Andy Goldstein who commentates on football and pool/ snooker. He was not a hit on football but was pretty good on pool/ snooker. He challenged and beat snooker legend Steve Davis in 1 frame and "took over" OBE and world titles of Davis. Another time he challenged and run out pool world champion Darren Appleton after he had just won European British pool championship. It was only 1 game (frame) of British pool of cos but Appleton was stunned :)

16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    You can't see points something like that if you consider markis kido. He is a doubles player. His partner whoever played with him got a contribution in those points.

LCW did not play 6 matches . I think that he played only 4 matches. Ofcourse, he is world no.1. Everybody wants him to win whoever plays in the opposite side.

17. terranova

terranova Regular Member

LCW did play 6 if count mixed doubles as 1. He played 4MS and 1XD in league round and 1MS in semis.
    Markis probably makes bigger difference in XD than in MS with Boe. Whichever you look at it he is MVP of AW. Without him they would. not be in final and be assured of at least USD300K :)

18. alans

alans Regular Member

Haha, chek again LCW played in XD too. I think you shoud remember the diffrence between team event and indvidual.

What I mean is AW pay Kido only 15.500 and he contribute more than 50% team win. See th value

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    chek again LCW played in XD too. I think you shoud remember the diffrence between team event and indvidual. - I know the difference. You said LCW won 6 points to his team.. Ok. Let's include XD. Even that too, it comes only 5 points. 4 from singles and one from doubles.

Ofcourse, kido played really well. If he did not, they will not consider him next time. All the franchises which lost in the ties would have gone for complete analysis of what went wrong. They will decide accordingly from next tie. But nobody can forget that this is Indian Badminton league, most importance will be given to indian players. All the rules were set accordingly. Foreign players are in pressure this time that they have to show their talent to their franchisee so that they can purchase them back.

Definite buys for next year IBL(my point of view about foreign players).

1. Ivanov (100% sure)
    2. Markis Kido (100% sure)
    3. Pia (100% sure)
    4. Juliane Schenk(100% sure)
    5. Lee chong wei (100% sure)
    6. Tanonsak (100% sure)
    7. Boe (100 % sure)
    8. HuYun and Tin Min Nyugen (60% sure)
    9. Marc Zwiebler (75 % sure)

still lots more to include..

#939 scorpion1, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  20. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Kido indeed a value buy at15k... He is blessed with good partners and weak opponents too.

India has good players in men and women singles but weak in doubles.

If team wanna earn points from singles using foreign players, they need to invest in very good players but in doubles, it can be done with less.

And also team can only play 3 foreign players so if they invest in doubles, there will not be room for foreign players in single