Men Doubles Players (Elite and Back-up)

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by undeadshot, Sep 9, 2011.

1. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Goh V (Wei) Shem/Lim Khim Wah has reached their first ever semi-finals of a Super Series event in the absence of the top pairs! :)
    I hope that they can capitalize on their momentum and at least give KSH/YYS a run for their money. This is the result of their last meeting :

[TABLE="class: ruler"]
    Matches[TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]Time[/TD]
    [TD]Tournament[/TD]
    [TD]Draw[/TD]
    [TD="colspan: 3"][/TD]
    [TD]Score[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]Fri 6/10/2011 8:40 PM[/TD]
    [TD]SCG Thailand Open Grand Prix Gold 2011[/TD]
    [TD]MD[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"][TABLE]
    [TD="align: right"]Wei Shem Goh[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="align: right"]Khim Wah Lim[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]-[/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Sung Hyun Ko [2][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Yeon Seong Yoo[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]21-17 11-21 10-21[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

CHONG Wei Feng secured the Thomas Cup singles reserve slot ahead of Arif Latif while doubles player Tan Wee Kiong will also make his debut in the final rounds in Wuhan on May 20-27.
    Arif's poor performance in the Thomas Cup qualifiers in Macau in February and in subsequent tournaments paved the way for Wei Feng to feature in his first Thomas Cup.
    Wee Kiong, who was so dejected that he contemplated quitting the national team after being left out of the squad for the qualifiers, also received the trust of men's doubles chief coach Tan Kim Her due to his hardwork and positive attitude in tournaments and training over the last three months.
    The BAM executive committee, chaired by president Datuk Seri Nadzmi Salleh, endorsed the Thomas Cup squad without much deliberation at Juara Stadium yesterday.
    Lee Chong Wei, Liew Daren and Hafiz Hashim are the regular singles players while Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Goh V Shem-Lim Khim Wah will feature as the first choice pairs in Wuhan.
    "This is our best squad at the moment and the players selected are based on their recent performance. The Thomas Cup is very important for us and we have targeted a semi-final spot based on the strength of our current squad," said Nadzmi.
    "The players will be having centralised training in Kuala Lumpur and also a week in Dongguan, China and we are hopeful the players will achieve the target."
    Kim Her said Wee Kiong had shown marked improvement and deserved a place in the squad although he and Thien How had only played in the Badminton Asia Championships in China as a pair last week.
    "Wee Kiong took it hard after failing to make the squad for the qualifiers but he managed to overcome his disappointment and continued to work hard. I had told him he had the chance to make the final squad if he kept progressing and was disciplined in training and he has earned his place on merit,' said Kim Her.
    "Thien How was already in as he is versatile. He and Wee Kiong are a good combination while Thien How can also forge a strong partnership with Boon Heong if needed."
    Five coaches -- Rashid Sidek, Tey Seu Bock, Hendrawan, Kim Her and Pang Cheh Chang -- will accompany the Thomas Cup squad and BAM also approved for Misbun Ramdan Misbun, Chan Kwong Beng and Chooi Kah Ming-Ow Yao Han to join them as sparring partners.

THOMAS CUP SQUAD: Lee Chong Wei, Liew Daren, Hafiz Hashim, Chong Wei Feng, Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Goh V Shem-Lim Khim Wah and Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong.

3. undeadshot

GVS/LKW shown improvement by beating good pairs like Bona/Ahsan and Fang/Lee over 2 weeks... but they need loads of improvement if they want to challenge the top pairs...
    This tournament will see their ranking rise to their best ever, I assume. They are also expected to win huge ranking points next week where they are seeded 3rd.

Meanwhile, I am interested to see how MHC/TKS work out. Based on what I have seen from both players, this pair will lack the speed needed to compete... TWK was faster than TKS... but I only saw TKS play once with GWS last time...

4. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Any chance for Goh and lim to qualify for og12?

5. dan92

dan92 Regular Member

As long As MAS want to replace KKK/TBH with this pair, this pair can go to olympic. Honestly, it's better for BAM to start using this pair instead of KKK/TBH.

6. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    i totally agree, KKK/TBH should be replaced by LKW/GVS....

7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    KKK/TBH are no hope and not medal material. Better send GVS/LKW instead for the long run.

8. undeadshot

Nelson Heg/Teo Ee Yi -> Zulfadli Zukliffi in men doubles.

9. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

better GWS/LKW and HTH/TWK will back KKK/TBH up...

10. danielwong

Salesman
    hows our MD elite n back-up performing in Vietnam so far??

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
  12. danielwong

Salesman
  13. undeadshot

Ah How/TWK is the only decent pair that we have left in the tournament... GVS/LKW not here.

14. danielwong

Salesman
    Monday September 3, 2012
    V Shem sees no future in inconsistent partnership with Khim Wah
    By RAJES PAUL

Monday September 3, 2012

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: They are the country’s second ranked men’s doubles pair but Goh V Shem sees no future in his partnership with Lim Khim Wah and wants a change.
    The 21-year-old V Shem, who has been playing with Khim Wah for a year and a half, feels they are too inconsistent to be a success.
    “There hasn’t been much improvement of late,” is his honest appraisal.
    “We play well in one tournament and crash out in another. Our standard will stagnate if we stay together. I really don’t see us breaking into the top five.”
    V Shem-Khim Wah are currently ranked 24th in the world while top duo Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong are No. 7. The other local pairs in the ranking are Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong (37), Mohd Lutfi Zaim Abdul Khalid-Vountus Indra Mawan (49), Teo Ee Yi-Nelson Heg Wei Keat (62), Chooi Kah Ming-Ow Yao Han (80), Mak Hee Chun-Teo Kok Siang (91), Shen Low Juan-Tan Yip Jiun (99) and Jagdish Singh-Yew Hong Kheng (124).
    “We are struggling to even make the top 20. I can push myself further but I’m disappointed that I can’t hit it right with Khim Wah,” said V Shem.
    The duo were an instant hit when they showed great fighting spirit in beating Indonesia’s Mohd Ahsan-Bona Septano at Istora Senayan in the SEA Games individual competition last year.
    Some of their highlights this year include a win over Ahsan-Bona again en route to their first Super Series semi-finals in the India Open and a sensational victory over Taiwan’s Fang Chieh-min-Lee Sheng-mu at the Asian Badminton Championships.
    V Shem said he hoped the coaches would seriously consider his request for a new partner.
    “The matter has been preying on my mind and I really feel it will be for the better if Khim Wah and I are split. But I leave it to the coaches to decide.”
    The BAM coaches will submit their proposals and plans for a major overhaul at the Coaching and Training Committee meeting, headed by Ng Chin Chai, on Sept 8.
    If V Shem and Khim Wah are split, the next best thing would be to pair them with either Boon Heong or Kien Keat. There is already a proposal to have Boon Heong and Kien Keat paired with younger partners for the smaller tournaments while giving them a grace period of a year to compete at next year’s World Championships in China.
    The right-handed V Shem would probably combine well with the left-handed Boon Heong while Khim Wah may click with Kien Keat. However, for this to happen, both Boon Heong and Kien Keat must be willing to part company. For the time being though, the duo are hoping that they will be given at least until the world meet to prove they are still a force to be reckoned with.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/9/3/sports/11957768&sec=sports

our prospect MD number 2 is not clicking well...what a suprise

15. SibugiChai

YAB
    V-shem wanna partner Tan-BH... lot of "experts" said it will be a good pairing....

16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    2 smasher in one pair,hehe
    and 2 net player in one pair?
    hehe,end of the world

17. SibugiChai

YAB
    when GVS/LKW... i saw mostly GVS seetting the net

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    no wonder they cant made any breakthrough.

19. undeadshot

GVS actually mostly covers the net in their partnership and LKW does most of the work smashing. But they do rotate, making it that not one of them shows to be the dominant smasher or net player.

I'm not sure that I totally agree with GVS, but I have known since some time ago that GVS and LKW don't really talk a lot on the court, am not really sure if they are friends off court. GVS might be frustrated with LKW's unforced errors but I still think it's too early to tell if they should be split. They DID have an upward trend and I say give them the end of the year before thinking whether they have a future or not. I say this because I actually didn't expect this pair to become as good as they are right now. I thought that they had much more potential than CPS/LKW but I didn't expect them to reach this far, where i think they have surpassed the old CPS/LKW, because of chemistry. I always thought that CPS/LKW had rather good chemistry, they talk, they cover each other quite well compared to GVS who had better skills but less teamwork.

However, one thing which I really like about that article is that GVS's aim is high, he wants to be a world beater. He does not want to become a top 15 pair that can maybe cause one or two upsets here and there like he is now. He wants to be there at the top. But I still think it's too early to tell whether others will be better than LKW. LKW is a good player, but I think that GVS and people (limsy, eaglehelang?) also think and agree that LKW actually doesn't really have the talent to be a top player.

#120 undeadshot, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012