Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龍大 ) / Yoo Yeon Seong ( 유연성 / 杻延星)

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by event, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    I am disappointed with Lee Yong Dae, a role model drop from grace.

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

This is probably the hottest and biggest news in world of badminton as of this year. Hmm, catastrophes struck KBA once again. After the famous case of theur 4 WD players suspended in the 2012 olympic due to match fixing, now they are in deep s*** again as their superstar player, LYD and KKJ will be banned and suspended for a year. Well, what could I say? KBA is surely the one who's got to be blamed for this outcome though. How on earth do they fail to educate or notify their players for the doping tests issues?

Meanwhile, the player also should be blamed. After years of playing in international tournaments, how the hell could they ignore/ not know the procedures and rules of doping issues? eg: missing doping tests, fail to notify of their whereabouts issues . This is just completely unacceptable and IMO, it serves them right.

In a nutshell, BWF is certainly doing their job very good in handling such issues. Way to go, BWF! :rolleyes::)

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

4. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Well looks like there go the chances for Asian games medals for Korea in MD

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    The International Olympic Committee requires the various international sports bodies to strictly follow the drug-testing protocols. The pressure on the BWF is no exception. For badminton to remain an Olympic sport, the BWF has to adhere very closely to these international norms.

It isn't that the WADA tests were conducted when the players were away (and, actually, the tests are not confined to just one appearance or sample-collection). Of course, the minimum-time-interval clauses kick in when the Olympics are less than a year away (I think the exact time interval is nine months but I don't remember now) but that is hardly the case here.

It's more an administrative lapse on the BKA's part than a case of any player using a banned substance.

Poor Lee Yong-Dae (and Kim Ki-Jung) :(
    In spite of the ban, the BWF must be credited for risking the wrath of the IOC by handing out a one-year suspension instead of the usual two years.

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

No such drop from grace really.
    He isn't accused of doping.

What has dropped though is his ability to win tournaments :p

7. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

wow, such a big surprise for the new year!

8. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Interestingly you're both assumed the players are innocent.
    Surely they must had a warning after the first missed test, then another one for the second test and they still failed to inform the testers of there whereabouts.

Wouldnt that be possible that they have something to hide for missing three tests?

If you know you're going to get caught why just hiding out and take a chance.
    1 or 2 years is better than a life time ban if get caught, isnt it?

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

I'm assuming nothing of the sort.
    Nor am I protesting their innocence.

All national sportspersons in Korea are subject to periodical dope-tests in their own country.
    Lee Yong-Dae (and Kim Ki-Jung, for that matter) is no exception to this requirement.
    And, unless the whole Korean drug-testing regime is dodgy, we would have to assume he is clean.

The BWF has laid no charges of substance abuse against these two players.
    They have been banned for evading the mandatory testing protocol.
    Whether that's by deliberate design or merely by administrative oversight is immaterial.

10. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

They still have the right for appeal by 17 February 2014 @KL Time.

Hope they use their best endeavour for this opportunity.

MD Class would be lack of competition without LYD-YYS, though I hate to admit that it will be blessing for Ahsan-Hendra, Boe-Moe, and other world class MD pairs.

11. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    KBA weak administration, i read it has been 3 times, not 1 time, surely something wrong, either KBA or Lee Young Dae... cannot blame BWF on this.

12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Sad case. Conspiracy??? . Time for koo-yoo combo.

13. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

a year's off might do them good anyway.
    just look at Lin Dan, wonder if BWF will grant them wild cards for the world championship after they return next year.

may be not

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

A two-year ban would have taken them out of the next Olympic qualifying cycle. Sad but at the same time lucky they got away with only one-year ban. Admittedly, missing doping tests three times , not just once, no matter whether it's KBA's or the players' faults, is simply unacceptable and will naturally incur the scepticism of others.

BWF is doing the right thing to maintain the image of badminton as an Olympic sport. I doubt the players' appeal would be successful as BWF is already being lenient imposing a one-year sanction instead of the usual two-year suspension.

Still, it's something I don't wish to see happening to any player. The Korean MD pairs of LYD/YYS and KKJ/KSR are very exciting medal prospects, missing them will be a significant loss to badminton, specifically to KOR, in MD individual and team events. Sigh.

15. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

with both top pairs disqualified it's likely that Korea couldn't be qualify for this 2014 Thomas Cup.
    must be the first for the Korean.

16. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    but i think the system allowed for scartch pair and BWF are quite flexible in this stuffs

17. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

but if they strike out the points from the banned pairs Korea wouldn't have enough points to qualify.

18. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

For those who understand Chinese, there's a interview with Cai/Fu here in which they talk about the anti-doping tests, starts at about 23:20.

A brief translation: The top 10 players are on 24h standby for tests. They'll normally fill in two addresses (home and training centre) for when they're in Beijing with the national team. If the anti-doping people come calling, you must be at either address within one hour, or it is regarded as a violation (even if your result is shown to be negative afterwards). Doesn't matter if you're out having a meal and there's a traffic jam or even if you're holding your wedding. Three violations within 18 (not 12, apparently) months and you can be sanctioned.

19. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

thanks for the info.
    it's quite tough, I'll be struggling to get to any of the 2 named places within an hour on a random day!

20. visor

visor Regular Member

^ seriously, that is draconian. must be since post lance armstrong... I suppose bwf just wants to make an example of them... sigh