Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

I'm not sure he'd want to train with PG, as it was playing against him in the Thomas cup that he twisted his ankle. ;)

2. julianng

julianng Regular Member

Agree, his playing style might get injured playing with PG style. It takes time for LCW to adjust back to his normal game. Training with a different player could make it worse.

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Malaysia's star Lee uncertain about Olympic form

Posted: 06 July 2012 1428 hrs

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian badminton hero Lee Chong Wei on Friday said he has not fully recovered from an ankle injury and is unsure of whether he will be in top form for London, his last chance to win Olympic gold.

The world number two, who has been receiving stem cell treatment on torn ankle ligaments sustained at the Thomas Cup in China in May, lost the top ranking to arch-rival Lin Dan of China last month after missing two tournaments.

He said the London Olympics, which start on July 27, will be his last and he hopes to regain the number one ranking by winning a gold medal -- the first for him and his country.

Asked whether he is confident he will be back in top form in time, he said: "I'm not sure.... Now I cannot say I have 100 percent recovered. I still have three weeks. I only concentrate on my game."

With three weeks to go, the 29-year-old said he was about 80 percent fit. He will leave for England next week. Lee said he has been training six to seven hours a day and is still undergoing rehabilitation for his injury.

"I'm quite happy with my recovery. I still want to prepare mentally because I have just come back from injury," he told reporters after a training session at a stadium in the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur.

"I just try my best. I hope I can play well in the Olympics and come out with world number one... I know everybody hopes I can take a gold medal."

Lee became world number one in 2008 after the Beijing Olympics, where he lost in the final to Lin -- who many consider to be the sport's best ever player.

Lee said he had decided to play for another two years after the London Olympics, competing in the Commonwealth Games and the Asian Games before retiring.

"I have played for a very long time... It's good enough," he said.

- AFP/ir

4. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    When you first learn to ride a bike and fall off. You do not say "I will never ride a bike again", you pick yourself up and ride again. :)

5. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    It is indeed very true, V1lau. However, our beloved Dato LCW will have the last shot of a lifetime opportunity & perhaps the opportunity of MAS to achieve Gold medal in Badminton for several years or decades. He just want to be at his best, every LCW & MAS fans will hope that he prevails.

Additionally, after getting injured LCW did not quite Badminton, he still continue playing & contributing to his beloved MAS & badminton world in general.

6. aramistuscany

aramistuscany Regular Member

Chong Wei now a lieutenant commander in Royal Malaysian Navy

By RAJES PAUL, The Star Online

KUALA LUMPUR: Don’t be surprised if former world No. 1 shuttler Lee Chong Wei does a Lin Dan by responding with a smart salute if he wins the gold medal at the London Olympics,

He has every reason to do so as he is now officially a lieutenant com­mander of the Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) – albeit an honorary one. Yesterday, Chong Wei became the first national sportsman to be bes­towed with the honorary commission at Pulapol yesterday.
    “I will surely salute if I win a gold medal in London,” said a beaming Chong Wei, dressed in a striking white RMN uniform, showing off the two medium gold braid stripes on his shoulder.

In the past, four-time world champion Lin Dan of China, who had represented the People’s Liberation Army team, had always raised his hand in salutation - especially after major wins. Who can forget the image of Lin Dan saluting with pride after beating Chong Wei for the gold at the Beijing Games four years ago - and on many other occasions after that.
    Hopefully, the role will be reversed this time in London.

Chong Wei was ecstatic to be appointed sports ambassador for the Malaysian navy.
    “This is one of the highest ranks bestowed on a sportsman and I’m very honoured. This was given with the consent of our King and I’m ready to live up to the responsibility that this award brings,” said Chong Wei.
    “It means always presenting a good image as an icon of the navy. This uniform certainly makes one feel and look good but it comes with a heavy responsibility. I vow to be a good role model.

“This is also a timely motivation for me to be more focused and disciplined in my preparation for the London Games.”
    Chong Wei is racing against time to be fully fit to face the arduous task of winning the country’s first Olympic gold medal.
    He is well on the road to recovery after injuring his ankle during the Thomas Cup Finals in Wuhan in May. But the training time lost may prove to be a setback although Chong Wei is determined to push himself in the remaining three weeks before the start of his biggest challenge.

Besides Lin Dan, he will have to contend with two other China aces in Chen Long and Chen Jin.
    Veterans Peter-Gade Christensen of Denmark, Indonesia’s Taufik Hi­­dayat and South Korea’s Lee Hyun-il will also be there but none of them are expected to end their final Olym­pics on a golden note as they have been struggling with injuries and the ravages of time.
    “I’m not at my best yet but this is my last Olympics so I’m going to give it my all to make it a memorable outing,” said the 29-year-old Chong Wei of his third Olympic Games.

The draw for the men’s singles event will be made on July 23.
    The 40 men’s singles qualifiers will be divided into 16 groups with only the group winners advancing to the elimination round.

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/7/6/sports/11612110&sec=sports

#8306 aramistuscany, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  7. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    ah chai not at home but ah chai's wife...
    she say she glad dato finally has win back MC broken heart.
    finally he ve a happy ending of his 1st love ...

i hope dato will ve extra motivation in london to strike a gold to gain $ to change his ferrari to mclaren for his wedding car.

8. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    ah chai went sightseeing at Penang bridge?

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Watch it! He might be too tempted to go for a swim, now that the hot weather is brewing.

10. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    A friend told me everyone in BAM from players to coaching staff knows Datuk Lee and our lovely Mew Cho never actually separated. Both of them remains lovers even they claimed going separate way as Chong Wei just sick of all the inquiries about them from the media.

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Wall Street Journal

July 9, 2012, 5:28 PM SG

Female Malaysian Athlete Gets Opening Ceremonies Nod

By Shibani Mahtani and Celine Fernandez

For the first time in its history, Malaysia has afforded a female athlete – diver Pandelela Rinong – the honor of bearing the country’s flag at the opening ceremonies of the 2012 Olympic Games in London.

But the decision is not without its critics, and has upset some within the Malaysian sports circuit who insist that Lee Chong Wei – Malaysia’s badminton star and a silver medalist at the Beijing games – is more deserving of the title, which is usually conferred to the most prominent and celebrated athlete within the national contingent.

Lee, the first Malaysian to reach the final of the men’s singles badminton event and the first to win a medal for the country since 1996, has long been a prized athlete in the Southeast Asian country. But an ankle injury has left fans wondering whether he can clinch a gold medal at this year’s games. Lee, 29, has said that this will be his last appearance at the Olympic Games.

The nomination process for the flag honors – usually a seamless and uncontroversial affair – turned messy when the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) asked that Lee be
    considered for the task over Rinong, after it was announced last week that the female diver would represent the country as its flag bearer. The badminton association cited his credentials as a prominent sportsman for their appeal, coupled with this being Lee’s last Olympic games. He has not carried the country’s flag at any of the previous Olympic Games.

The Olympic Committee of Malaysia (OCM) resolved the differing opinions through a vote, in which the executive committee of the organization decided in favor of the diver.

“OCM has the right to select who the flag bearer will be but we also consider other views, because we are not that power crazy,” said Sieh Kok Chi, secretary of the Olympic Council
    of Malaysia.

Rinong, 19, was the flag bearer for the Malaysian contingent at the 2010 Youth Olympic Games in Singapore, and won a silver medal in the same competition.

“We have gone through the process. Pandelela deserves a shot, just like Lim Chong Wei,” Sieh Kok Chi said.

Sporting authorities within Malaysia have cited Lee’s injuries as a reason for selecting Rinong over him, particularly since his first event at the Games is two days after the
    opening ceremony.

“We considered the fact that Chong Wei was recuperating from his injuries… we wanted him to rest,” Zolkples Embong, the director general of Malaysia’s National Sports Council, said in a phone interview, adding that Lee would have “definitely [been] a better choice” if both were fit and had days to rest after the opening ceremony.

For fans of Pandelela Rinong, though – especially those from her home state of Sarawak –
    the dithering over her confirmation as Malaysia’s flag bearer was unfair. Though less famous than Lee nationally, she was named Malaysia’s sportswoman of the year this April for the first time. Lee won the title of sportsman of the year for three years running, including for 2012.

“Malaysia’s sportswoman of the year is indeed deserving of the honor,” wrote a blogger from Sarawak who goes by the online name of Parochial Sarawakian. “To take it away from her now is a real slap in the face of her achievements, it’s a slap in the face for sportswomen, and a slap in the face for all Sarawakians,” the writer said in a post written just before the vote.

The athletes themselves seem to be less concerned with the flag-bearing duties, and more intent on their own competitions. Speaking to reporters, Lee said that Pandelela Rinong “deserves the honor as well” and has helped “put Malaysia on the world map” thanks to her achievements in diving.

“It doesn’t matter whether I attend as a flag bearer or just a member of the contingent. I don’t want to miss the atmosphere of the world’s biggest sporting event in my last Olympic outing,” said Lee, according to a blog entry posted by his media advisor Satwant Singh.

Besides Lee and Rinong, 26 other Malaysian athletes will also compete at the Olympics this summer in events including fencing, cycling, archery, swimming and track.

#8311 Loh, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Good choice.

13. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Hi Can any fans here share Lee Chong Wei is using Yonex Z force racket the normal one or the limited edition one ?

14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    the purple one. not as sexy as the black one. ;)

15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The Star Online > Sports
    Wednesday July 11, 2012
    Olympic champion shuttler to get RM2mil gold bar
    By S. RAMAGURU
    KUALA LUMPUR: Any shuttler who bags the gold medal at the London Olympics will be RM2mil richer – in gold bar.
    That’s the whopping carrot being dangled by the KL Racquet Club Berhad (KLRC) chairman Datuk Seri Andrew Kam in an effort to challenge our shuttlers to go for gold at the Games, which begin on July 27.
    The six London-bound shuttlers were present when the announcement was made at a leading hotel here yesterday. They are Lee Chong Wei, who is realistically the man likely to win Malaysia’s first-ever gold medal, Koo Kien Keat, Tan Boon Heong, Chan Peng Soon, Goh Liu Ying and Tee Jing Yi.
    Should there be two gold medal winners, then they will share the bounty.
    [​IMG] Let’s end the Olympic gold drought: KLRC chairman Datuk Seri Andrew Kam showing the RM2mil gold bar to the national shuttlers (from left) Koo Kien Keat, Tan Boon Heong, Lee Chong Wei, Chan Peng Soon, Goh Liu Ying and Tee Jing Yi. On the right is OCM secretary general Datuk Sieh Kok Chi.
    “KLRC would like to play a part in helping this dream become a rea*lity – and that is to capture the elu*sive gold medal which our country has yet to achieve,” said Andrew.
    “Towards this end, on behalf of KLRC Bhd, I would like to throw a challenge to our Malaysian badmin*ton team: If any of you brings home a gold medal from London 2012, there is a RM2mil gold bar waiting for you here. Gold for Gold!
    “Please see this as an incentive and work hard to achieve this dream.”
    Andrew said that the offer is made solely to the badminton players as “I am passionate about the sport and I want to see badminton win Malaysia’s first ever gold me**dal”.
    “At the Barcelona Games in 1992, badminton was introduced as an Olympic sport. Since then, only bad*minton has delivered a medal for our country at the Games,” he said.
    “Although participation is important, we as a great badminton na**tion must look beyond the bronze and silver medals and aim for gold. This is an incentive for the players to work extra hard and also serve as motivation to achieve this dream.”
    Razif-Jalani Sidek won a bronze in Barcelona while Cheah Soon Kit-Yap Kim Hock won a silver in At**lan*ta in 1996, along with Rashid Si**dek’s bronze in the men’s singles.
    Malaysian shuttlers did not win any medals in Sydney (2000) and Athens (2004) but Chong Wei bagg*ed a silver in Beijing four years ago.
    Olympic Council of Malaysia (OCM) secretary general Datuk Sieh Kok Chi welcomed the incentives offered by the private sector, saying they should drive our athletes to go for glory in London.
    “This is a fine gesture by KLRC as it will help motivate our players. For the shuttlers, a gold medal will be worth at least RM4mil,” he said.
    “This is in addition to the RM1mil offered by the Government and another private firm. There is a genuine feeling that we can win a gold medal in London.”
    The Government’s offer is through the National Sports Coun*cil’s incentive scheme. The scheme, which was introduced for the Beijing Olympics, also forks out RM300,000 for a silver and RM150,000 for a bronze.
    Under the scheme, a gold medallist will also receive a lifetime pension of RM5,000 a month. A silver medallist will get RM3,000 a month and bronze medallist RM1,500 a month.
    Local furniture company – 3V Holdings Sdn Bhd – has also stepped forward to offer a RM1mil cash incentive to help boost the quest to win the country’s first Olympic gold medal in London.
    The money will be shared if there is more than one gold medallist. If no one wins a gold medal, the offer will be extended to the 2016 Olympics in Brazil.

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2012/7/11/sports/11638866.asp&sec=sports

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

he should offer each winner RM 2mil worth of gold bar lah, instead of share...it'll make each of them play harder...plus what is RM 6mil worth of gold bars for datuk Kam ah?

#8316 ctjcad, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  17. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

it's nice to be a badminton player in Malaysia. so many bonuses. :)

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    why worry
    non of them will get it

19. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Gee, if Toby Ng (towbsss) won a gold in badminton, he'd be lucky if corporate Canada rewarded him with a new baseball cap!

20. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I am not sure if this "incentive" is a good thing for LCW.. Just adds even more pressure. I think for LCWs sake that less pressure and expectations from MAS will make it easier for him to relax and is better for his performance..Nerves could be a tricky thing.. Especially with the background and heda 2 head against LD.