Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well

To some, winning is all that counts. :(:(:(

I am glad that some BCers are still maintaining that;
    "The most important thing in sports is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well." :):):)

#901 chris-ccc, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Otb, I would love to bet with this type of player - the gentlemen type :D If I am about to loose, I will cheat and when he walks out, I save my bet :D

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

:D:D:D You are only thinking of saving your bet. :D:D:D

4. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Right, Chris :) it's called a sure bet I only take :D. Btw, the ranking points loh posted in post no.897 shows Chen long is moving up real fast :p. The question is when will he get 'over heated'? A certain surge of form for a 22 yrs old player at this rate is indeed rare :D. I wonder how long can he sustain that? :D :D.

5. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Chris...what a person post is not what he would do;)...take it with a grain of salt, try to see the message in the post, it may be directed elsewhere or at another person.;)cheating at recreational, social badminton between friends and the friends would continue to play with this person for over 8 years, on every Mon, Tues and Thurs, and then go on cruise, dinner and holiday together, there will be no friendship anymore. It is all in the humour.
    And BTW, we never once bet money...and I don't gamble but play stock, that is the truth. And even stock, I am winding down, closer to retirement and cashing in:D

#905 OneToughBirdie, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I guess that Chen Long will be World No.1 when LCW and LD have retired and/or when the 2012 Olympic Games is over. Just a guess. :D:D:D

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Don't get me wrong... I have often bet with my Badminton friends - like the loser(s) will pay for supper after our match. But never with money. :D:D:D

It's for the game for fun.

8. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    LYB confession of match fixing to chinese media, Ye Shao Ying and ZM team order to lose in OLY, are all factual and people would have 'no eye see" and oblivious to these incidents and still ask for proof. The best proof is for them to search the internet and BC forum. And when I jokingly said I 'cheat' in social, recreational badminton with those smileys on, they actually believe that, that is fun. Playing social badminton with friends, the moment we call it a night, with aching bones and slump shoulders, we forgot all about the score, who the heck care who win who lose. We just want a sweat, and to spend quality time with friends:D

9. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Yes, when we talk about match fixing, lyb's name will come out first, bc google :D anyway that's what this game is for :). After a hard days work we just love to play and tease fellow members in the court :D. For a can of drink, omg we can play like all england mode :D :)

10. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Tease fellow members in the court...I am not too sure of that, I am more the case of being The Victim myself:crying: That is why I need 15pts handicap, maybe 18 pts sounds better, from you

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

At the 2011 French Open SS just completed, LCW defeated CL at the Semi-Finals.

Currently, CL is catching up with LCW (to be World No.1). But I don't think CL can make it before the 2012 London Olympic Games commences.

Let's wait and see; and follow the next few tournaments in which they will play.

CL is now World No.2; therefore from now onward, if ever LCW and CL are to meet, they will meet at the Finals. :):):)

#911 chris-ccc, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  12. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    My Monday night group consist of 4-6 players and we have been active for many years. I always tease and bet drinks with them, never missed that !!! However, 2 weeks ago on the 10 of October I didn't tease anyone and I was a good boy yet one of my buddy went kong! Yeah, died 10 min after I played doubles with him. How I wish I could turn back the clock and tease him maybe he would still be alive today. Poor soul :eek:
    Good you pointed that out - cl and lcw could be separated to top and bottom half. I never notice that :p :eek:. anyway, if that happens, it looks like ld becomes the wing man :D

13. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Sorry to hear of your buddy passing away.
    Maybe your buddy was tense while anticipating your wicked tease shot which never came, so he got tense up and went kong! At least he did not die on the court and you did not use your tease shot, otherwise you have a lot of explaining to his love ones that your tease shot did him in. Now, if I ever play you, I have to watch out for your tease shot and wait for you to make your move first before I react.

Okay, jokes aside, badminton can be a strenous game to play. If a person is not fit/out of shape and not warm up properly, you can feel the heart exploding. I remember when I came back to play in 2004 after a lapse of 26 years (I last played in MAS in 1978 before I left), I felt dizzy and seeing stars like passing out. Your buddy should be physically fit since you said you guys have been playing for years, so this would not apply to him.

#913 OneToughBirdie, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  14. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    It may also deprive LCW of an OG silver.. That would not be good for him!

15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    At least he die a quick one and on his favourite badminton hall. RIP man.

It will never be easy with CL maturing. Hopefully someone like Kevin can do wonders. ;)

16. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Possible, a tired lcw even if he could beat ld in the semi final, would have problem with the new version cl. But on the other hand it also depends on who cl will meet in the other semi final :D. Cl currently maybe a thread to lcw but we really don't know if he can be consistent enough to beat the rest of the other players. Come 2012 Olympic every players will be ready and super peak, anything can happen :D btw it would be interesting to predict now what could happen if cl and ld is on the same half :D

#916 pBmMalaysia, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  17. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Cl is on top form, young and IMO, still has room to improve on. I think CL confidence increases big time beating LCW 2X, knowing he can compete with LCW as equal and moves him into the championship level, no bridesmaid or side winder to LD. OLY is a different animal, never underestimate the intensity and pressure OLY can do to a player e.g. LD (2004). CL choked in WC11. I agree with you, the OLY players are ready and prepared, and from QF on, it is anybody game.
    I take your bite to your question 'what happen if CL and LD are on the same half'. For that to happen, CJ has to be in. If CL remains on form and if LD is not the LD in WC11 or OLY12 form, LYB would let them play all out the 1 set and whoever lose would throw the second game. That has been the pattern in the past;)

18. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

OLY rules dictate that players from the same country will be placed into the different halves of the draw. unless CJ qualified ahead of CL or LD, but not both, CL and LD will always in the different halves.

the only way for CL and LD in the same half in for CJ qualified as CHN's MS2.

19. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    That is what I am alluding to, CJ to be CHN MS2 for CL to be in LCW half. CL is playing the best baddy in his career and his confidence must be sky high now. But CL still question in majors, while CJ when it comes to major seldom not play well. If all 3 are in OLY12, that is interesting. But based on current match-up against LCW, if I am LYB, I would prefer to have CL in LCW half and prepare him well.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Yes, many BCers are thinking that LCW and LD have better chances of winning the 2012 OG Gold medal.

If LCW and LD were to be drawn in the same half, with CL and PG in the other; I would say that all 4 of them could have equal chances for GOLD.

Up to this stage of the OG qualification period, I still believe that the seeding could be;

No.1 LCW
    No.2 CL
    No.3 LD
    No.4 PG