Chen Jin ( 陈金 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Oldhand, Mar 9, 2008.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Chen Jin is now coach of WS team. So is this an indication that Zhang Ning will not return?

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Chen Jin, the 2010 World Champion, now retired and working as a coach to the CHN WS, has finally tied the knot today (8th Nov 2013) at Beijing. Her wife, one year his junior, hails from Harbin and works as a railway(train) policewoman; they were introduced to each other by a mutual friend in 2010 which began their courtship and romance. Chen Long is the best man.
    http://sports.qq.com/a/20131108/017936.htm

[​IMG]

My heartiest congratulations and best wishes to the happy couple. May their married life be filled with joy, peace, love and harmony. Be blissful and blessed with health and happiness on their special day and always !

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  4. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Wasn't the poor performance caused by the schedule conflict of the Chinese national games? Most of the players got exhausted or skipped tournaments. I'm surprised that LYB didn't count that in. And obviously that LD only played in 1 tournament was also another reason.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You beat me to it, this piece of news which I've just posted at the Chinese Badminton thread.

I was taken aback by it, Zhang Ning's demotion to assistant coach; maybe with the birth of her firstborn, she has been somehow affected by it. Anyway, it goes to show it's hard not just for a CHN national player but also for a CHN national coach.

As for Chen Jin, he certainly impressed Li Yongbo enough to promote him to chief coach of the WS team, a jump from his appointment as understudy coach, akin to a double promotion, I'd say.

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Maybe ZN wanted a demotion. Her priority is with her child.

She had done her national duty already, having won OLY twice herself and helping LXR and WYH won 2012 gold and silver.

I have a feeling that LYB had planned to have CJ to take over ZN's role even before LXR lost 2013WC title.

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You're probably right. A first-time mother with a newborn would naturally be reluctant to be away from her infant too often and too long. Indeed, she has already contributed a lot to Chinese badminton as a player and then a coach.

Frankly, I'm very glad for Chen Jin to be coaching the WS squad, not that Zhang Ning hasn't been doing a very good job, not at all. Personally,I believe he can bring a new dimension to CHN WS game. For all we know, he could be the one who is responsible for Wang Shixian's bouncing back so strongly of late. I'm also hoping he can raise Li Xuerui's game another level as well as correct her occasional lapse of concentration problem. In fact, the entire CHN WS squad, both seniors and juniors, would benefit considerably from him (just look at how some of the players like Sun Yu, Yao Xue, He Bingjiao have shown signs of possible breakthroughs albeit still a bit early to tell).

I trust Li Yongbo must have seen something in Chen Jin to pick such a young and relatively inexperienced understudy coach to head the CHN WS team for, as we know, CHN certainly has no lack of talents in the field of coaching. In the normal course of things, an understudy would have to be confirmed as a full-fledged coach first after passing a probation period and then followed by achieving a number of outstanding results over a reasonable length of time before he is even considered for promotion. How Chen Jin justified his elevation to WS Head Coach after a short stint of barely a year as an understudy is rather unusual, I should say phenomenal and perhaps unprecedented in the history of CBA.

I'm beginning to wonder if Li Yongbo might one day be able to persuade Lin Dan to take up coaching after the latter's retirement despite his having openly said he has no interest in it. Remember, Xia Xuanze once upon a time also clearly hinted that he wished for Lin Dan to pass on his experience to future generations.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks, more insights and speculative talk.

Wow, Chen Jin has only been an understudy for about 8 months and,yeah, CBA has broken the rule or made an exception for him to jump to WS Head Coach straight away, replacing Zhang Ning who has served as WS Head Coach for 4 years, not to mention Tang Xuehua who is near retirement.

The reporter also speculated that someone in the loop said Zhang Ning as the then WS Head Coach was blamed for losing the WS crown at last year's WC which ended CHN's 14 reign. Moreover,again according to insiders, although Zhang Ning is an excellent player having won two Olympic golds, she is still somewhat lacking when it comes to coaching; in addition, she has just recently become a mother which may have unavoidably affected her energy and full attention to her job; therefore, it is not necessarily a bad thing for her to be assisting Chen Jin.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Chen Jin becomes the 2014 CHN WS head coach

Congratulations to Chen Jin for becoming the 2014 CHN WS head coach.

There is much speculative talk about it. Perhaps, I shall add in my 2 cents too. :)

From what I see, it is because Chen Jin is more obedient to Li Yongbo.

I feel that if Li Yongbo is to instruct to have a "fixed-match" between 2 CHN WS players;
    * Chen Jin would follow his instruction obediently.
    * Zhang Ning would probably say "No way; Let them players fight it out between themselves".

This is only what I feel, after observing from what is happening at the CHN coaching camp.

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    My guess for the reasons for ZN's demotion are:

1. She has to take care of her child
    2. 2010 Uber Cup's lost and 2013 WC's lost and overall performance for the whole of 2013
    3. Her relationship with WSX (and perhaps a few others) is not that good.
    4. CJ seems to be doing well for 2013.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.qq.com/a/20140106/002063.htm

Well, Zhang Ning has words to say.

Regarding her demotion, she responded with a denial saying:"First of all, I comply with the authority's arrangement, since the leader admires Chen Jin so much there must be a reason for it, no matter you do well or not,the leader will look at the big picture,will have his way of thinking,it's all for the growth and development of the team. Furthermore, I wasn't demoted, merely a human resource appointment. Another point I want to say is that after the London Olympics,some players developed a slack mentality which is relatively normal. Post-Olympic period, these Olympic champions would be very busy, for example, after the London Olympics, many of the team members had to go to Hong Kong to attend commercial event; for example, Li Xuerui who became famous overnight at the LOG were taking part in various commercial activities at the expense of regular training, all this is quite normal."

Also Zhang Ning does not agree that the 2013 results were very bad:" To be honest, in the first half of 2013 I was on maternity leave during which I didn't ask much about matters relating to the team, but in the second half when I led the team, the results were not bad, the condition of players like Wang Xin(I suspect she meant to say Liu Xin), Jiang Yanjiao, etc, were not too bad. Perhaps the only thing I wasn't up to the mark was the nurturing of the backup talent pool and echelon construction - you cannot be always depending on the few champion players to compete and win medals in every tournament. Prior to the 2012 Olympics in London, none of us had expected Li Xuerui to achieve such sterling results, all of us thought she was a dark horse; post-LOG, many of us began to place our hopes and honor on her alone, this is not being objective. Subsequently, it was proven that she didn't possess the ability to complete all the tasks assigned to her single-handedly. Her winning the London Olympic gold, there was a certain element of surprise and some luck involved but the competitions that followed are not easy to say, so we still need to grasp at the nurturing of more talents in reserve."

The 1986 born Chen Jin is not yet 30, an age gap of 11 years with Zhang Ning. From Chief Coach to Assistant, how does Zhang Ning regard her role change? On this, Zhang Ning stated "I will assist Chen Jin, and do a good job of building a bridge between coaches and players."

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The fact is Li Yongbo has always thought highly of Chen Jin both as a player years ago and now as a coach. Upon receiving Chen Jin's wedding invite last year November, LYB said:" Chen Jin has an important place in my heart, he is one who can be trusted and respected, whether in team events or major world competitions, he is always ready to shoulder heavy responsibilities."

What happened at the 2010 Paris WC impressed LYB even more, with Lin Dan sensationally toppled by Park Sung Hwan before the semifinal and Bao Chunlai earlier booted out as well. It was left to Chen Jin to hold the fort in the lower half of the draw, and he went on to overcome Peter Gade in the semifinal and prevail over Taufik Hidayat in the final."At critical moments,Chen Jin could always step forward bravely, he is one most worthy of my trust." At the time when Chen Jin was transitioning from retired player to coaching, LYB accorded him the utmost support and encouragement. "Formerly, he was my team member;presently,he is my colleague. Now, he is married, I believe that he will, in different positions and roles, continue as always to deserve our trust and respect in him."

Elsewhere, LYB has declared that Chen Jin has both the prerequisites and temperament to be a very good coach. He is known to be tenacious in character, an assiduous worker,in disposition steady, calm and self-restrained. Technically, we are fully aware of his skills,knowledge and experience as a world class player.

As LYB explained, Chen Jin's appointment, as for all the other coaches, was subject to the selection and approval of a committee comprising coaches and 33 experts who assessed and evaluated him according to a set criteria. In other words, it's not all up to LYB, no doubt his recommendations do carry weight. I'm sure for LYB to break the rules and make an exception in Chen Jin's case (from 8-month understudy to Chief Coach) will require the assent and support of the selection committee. (Personally, why would LYB want to take sole responsibility for a decision that impacts the entire CHN WS squad, not just one or two player?).

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's what the report said, both Zhang Ning and Chen Jin were considered for the post of WS Chief Coach and Chen Jin was chosen in the end (by the Select Committee of coaches who graded the two).

Not only that, CBA has decided to de-merge the National Team into two again, i.e. 1st Team and 2nd Team, after having merged the two teams into just one National Team a little more than a year ago. In other words, the model of having just one team is reversed again to the previous two-team set-up.The rationale given is to enable the coaches in each category to better concentrate their efforts with their respective chief coaches focusing on the 1st(elite) team. (Btw, previously when they merged the two teams into one, the intention was to allow the younger players opportunities to benefit from training together with the elite players but that seemed to have increased the burden on the respective chief coaches). I suppose, that means from now on, the 2nd team which composes of second stringers/backup players and junior players won't get to train with the 1st team (elite) players.

Another point is the coaches selection process will become a routine yearly affair, not once every few years,thereby increasing a sense of urgency for the coaches.

An interesting anecdote - after going through more than a half-year break-in period, Chen Jin has gradually grown into his coaching role to be acclaimed as "Boss Jin" (nickname).

All the information revealed to the reporter of Xinhua News Agency in this article was provided by a certain Li Weiguo , a team leader/official of CBA.

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    1st team and 2nd team

This is the better system;
    * Younger players need to work harder and smarter to produce results before being allowed to enter the 1st team.
    * Coaches can focus better on smaller groups of teammates.

Another good system. It tells coaches to work harder;
    * Produce good results in order to stay.
    * Produce bad results, they have to go.

Thanking Justin L for sharing the info.

#296 chris-ccc, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014