Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    When looked closely, eaglehelang and OneToughBirdie. Are they related?

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Think you are late, even though your remarks and comments are the most critical.

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yeah
    they are bird
    haha

that's too bad
    i want that more than 180k yearly salary job!

4. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Recap 3 - Weighing the situation of Malaysian Badminton

Everyone would likely agree that former baddies should take charge instead of the non-players and officials that is in place now.

However, I am just afraid that those who are qualified and stand a chance to be a good leader is either already aged like Dr. Mahatir, or perhaps their passion is not there anymore, or rather, what's left of it.

Misbun Sidek may sound fine and dandy. Nominating him will be sweet revenge for him because of what BAM did to him. But that could be all to it. By now, maybe the badminton passion has died down to a simmer for him.

Look at Rashid. A yawning leader? Please.

Elyas still has the fire. I can see it in his boldness regarding the BAM saga in the media. But how many more years can he still lead.

And I blame all this on BAM. Hogging the limelight for so many years without giving those who have the capabilities to lead a chance to come forward. :mad:

I fear we may just have to depend on LCW's training centre for the future.

Darren, Wei Feng and others may be carrying the country's flag for the next few years. But sorry to say this, they will never amount to anything significant to what LCW has achieved for Malaysia. Even Kevin Cordon plays better than them.

#684 Pakito, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Hard luck. Shift your cannon towards other sports.

6. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Ironic that Beryno Wong defeated Kevin Cordon in the first round of the Thailand Open.

7. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    And Beryno Wong lost to Yogendran recently in one of the local tournament a week ago. We do have some average world class players here :D

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    And KC beat CL less than a year ago.

9. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    ON TRACK: BAM president Nadzmi defends his record

NST 7 JUNE, 2012

"DATUK Seri Nadzmi Salleh* is willing to accept criticism for Malaysia's failure in the Thomas Cup* but strongly refutes Tan Sri Elyas Omar's claims that he has been sleeping on his job as the president of the BA of Malaysia (BAM).

Elyas, BAM president in 1985-1992, blasted Nadzmi on Tuesday for not utilising the funds received by the association to build a strong players' base which had led to another failure in the Thomas Cup.

"It is not right to say that we have been sleeping on our job just because we failed in the Thomas Cup," said Nadzmi yesterday."

These factors should also be seen as a yardstick to gauge my leadership since 2000. We have created three World No 1 players in Lee Chong Wei, Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui.

"We are very disappointed with the failure in the Thomas Cup despite our efforts, but we have to look forward. We had the best training facilities and gave the players enough exposure in tournaments but if the players don't have the drive to become successful like Chong Wei, what can the association do?"

The Thomas Cup is important but we also have the London Olympics to focus on. We are mindful that we have won the Thomas Cup on five occasions but we have never won an Olympic gold and have focused on that major goal.

"Elyas also questioned the lack of focus on development and felt that academies are the best way to nurture talent.He said a complete overhaul in the management structure, training programme and development was needed to revive the nation's fortunes in badminton.

Nadzmi said BAM has always welcomed suggestions from all quarters are welcome as the association is focused on continuous improvement.

"We have about 70 players at the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) and with the national back-up and elite teams, about 150 players receive full-time training and all the attention needed to become quality players.

In 2011, the players were sent for 43 international tournaments with each player competing in a minimum eight tournaments," said Nadzmi.

"We have also created the 2016 programme geared towards winning gold in the Olympics in Rio (de Janeiro) where players like Misbun Ramdan Misbun and doubles Teo Ee Yi-Nelson Heg are already showing potential."

The programme should see an impact in 2014 where the players should start producing qualify results if they want to be successful in 2016. We should also have a strong Thomas Cup squad then."

"Read more: 'We have done a lot' - Badminton - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badminton/we-have-done-a-lot-1.91927#ixzz1x7FYOjgz

#689 pBmMalaysia, Jun 7, 2012
  10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    haha,i sense some lie in between the line!
    but i dont want to waste my time to proof it.

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

The statement sounded eerily similar to those voiced out by Pak Djoko Santoso, the head of PBSI. Sigh....

12. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Fine line between average and world class players

The term 'mental strength' is used so loosely now even those who don't play the game know how to say it. The other day, I even heard from a 7 year-old kid competing in a radio-controlled race car competition said it. Now the badminton officials used it as an excuse and a cover for their covert operations BAM (badminton-acquiring-money).:cool:

Chen Long's lost to Kevin Cordon really shook him up and made him came back stronger than ever. More consistent, that is a given and proven track record. LCW's lost to LD at the Olympics many years ago also did that to him. He is a consistent world no.1 now.;)

Arif Latiff, Darren, KKK/TBH and the likes may think about their lost over dinner and that's about it. They never really ponder about their game or analyse effectively. Notice I said effectively.

Eddy Choong once said that BAM instead of throwing money on so many officials going to tournaments as a getaway vacation, they should send him or other coaches to analyse players from other countries. BAM said that they can do that from watching videos. I think now nobody does that anymore because analysing takes talent also. Well at least nobody from Malaysia can do that well, not with one 'yawning' and the other 'laughing' away. You know who. It's no wonder our boys can't develop any effective and analytic minds.:cool:

13. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    This is just a hypothetical question but, is it going to take a rally like Bersih 2.0, people carrying pickets and chanting slogans outside BAM before Nadzmi finally vacates his chair? I really don't believe in the system of their exco members with their so-called democratic election. 12 years and still going strong, my my, they must be really doing a good job. Problem is there is no benchmark on their improvement, or maybe mediocre benchmark is the problem. Their benchmark is always LCW, KKK/TBH. What about the WS and WD? :crying: I am not asking for a Wang Xin or LXR, but how about an Ithanon. Asking too much? Ok then let's lower our demand and ask for a Wang SX :rolleyes:. Besides, you don't see china always banking on LD. It's about time we have our own Chen Long, ok asking too much, Kevin Cordon, to enter tournaments and meet LCW, then let LCW give him a walkover, let our Kevin Cordon have his rankings improve!

Chin Ee Hui has no partner now. Poor girl. Chong Wei Feng never left the chair all through the Thomas Cup campaign. He was probably fiddling with his racquet while watching it.

Nadzmi says he can't do anything if players don't have the willpower to win. I bet LYB has plenty to do and say to that, doesn't he?:rolleyes:

#693 Pakito, Jun 7, 2012
  14. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    No, we are not related but we do have keen birdie eyesight that we can see loot from afar and go for it

15. OneToughBirdie

engineer

16. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

I think based on the bolded and underlined statement below alone, Nadzmi should be fired.....

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    If I were a Malaysian...

If I were in charge of BAM (which thankfully for me and everyone else, will never happen! :D) I would (among other things,).....

Appoint LCW as Director of HPC.

Set up a 5-year plan and programme with actions to achieve the following objectives:

Give the national grassroots development programme to Misbun Sidek, and charge him with it's develpoment, growth and penetration into every smallest village in Malaysia. The programme also requires setting up of the validation and talent testing/evaluation channels at every incremental level.

Create strategic partnerships with private clubs, regional badminton training centres, and all major universities and schools. Become the moderator and facilitator to involve resources of Government (by way of National Sports Traning Centre and Ministry of Sports etc) with private/public enterprise (large banks, utilities, corporations, public transport systems, city councils) with Universities and schools to establish specific facilities for badminton training and development on the campuses. Each Centre is to report to BAM via a Centre Administrator nominated by the tripartite committee; the administrator is responsible and accountable for the operations of the Centre. A single administrator may be in charge of more than one Centre.

Revive, promote and support traditional schools of excellence in badminton in rural areas. It is more possible to find good raw talent that can be moulded and channelled from small, rural settings, because these children (and their families) will value and respond more positively to opportunities presented.

Set up a Coaches development programmes under a panel comprising Morten Frost, ZJH and Xiao Jie (if they can make it,) Tian Bing Yi (ditto,) 2 senior coaches from BAM, 2 owners/partners/coaches of regional badminton centres, Susi Susanti, Wong Mew Choo and Gillian Clark. Most of the big names are not full-time but under a 2-5 year contract. Use video-conferencing and teleconferencing where necessary. Coordination must be the responsibility of a qualified administrator hired specifically for the purpose of heading the programme full-time.

Create a reciprocal exchange programme with Indonesia, Thailand, Japan, Denmark, Germany, India, Russia, England and Canada. (oh, ok, USA as well, or Kwun will blacklist me! :D) This programme is only for junior, backup and under-development players.

Set up a Central contracts system that is conceptually developed on the lines of that done by the England Cricket Board.

Restructure the electoral system and restrict the term duration of office at regional and national levels.

Restructure the association articles in consultation with a respected professional consultancy group that has a track record in such work with other international and national sports associations. Introduce requirements of compulsory transparency and accountability in all departments and levels of operations.

Create a roibust and reliable intranet for direct and constant communication with all regional offices.

Hire a good and competent website developer and administrator!

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It is sad to see so much vitriol here.
    If the posts are a microcosm of Malaysia then it will go nowhere. How can it be otherwise when you cannot see the forest for the trees, not once, not twice, but every time? Talk is cheap and being smart alec armchair critics says it all.

19. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    The panel lists you named above will costs truckload of cash...also, what gives to the current coaching staff of TKH, Pang, Encik Yawner, keep them or can them?...and you forgets the key ingredient i.e. the young talents/recruits, show them the incentives/dollars....i.e. no money no talk lah;)

20. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    You are correct, we muse and are cheapo armchair critics having fun in BC using pen names and going nowhere...on the serious side (minus the jokes), the one thing I have against BAM is how it was run and going nowhere despite all these sponsorship/funding (sure you can't say MAS badminton is under funded) given to BAM. These BAM chaps are not poorly paid (if Rexy made reportedly RM180K, I assume the bosses would make more). I bet you if all the salary/loot paid out to all these BAM staff, that would easily eclipse the payout to the players...bet you anything. At least Rexy delivered results but what have these clowns achieve. BTW, Ramdan and ZZ are not products of and not discovered by BAM. So if BAM is a private company, the shareholders will kick them out but here we are, the clowns echo to us to be happy not to worry, and the clowns stay put and milk the loot. You are for that?
    Nadzmi is the head of the food chain, he appointed his HP helpers and setup these 4 coaches/HP thingie, as they say, the bucks stop here, so why is he still runing the show....are you telling me, MAS has nobody better or simply put, is Datuk Nadzmi politically connected that he is untouchable?
    It seems to me you are supporting the status quo...you are so full of it

#700 OneToughBirdie, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012