let's together answer : what is the ideal tension?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by kwun, Nov 14, 2003.

1. jensen9173

jensen9173 Regular Member

I currently used BG68ti 26lbs, apply on Nanos7700

2. tientienwan

tientienwan Regular Member

I currently use NBG95 with 26-27lbs on my Yonex Ti-3 and Muscle Power 29 light. Repulsion is well, smashing sound quite loud. Control is ok lo,,,,,,

3. Maxphi5

Maxphi5 Regular Member

Student
    Bg80/85 at 24lbs on my Armortec 700 3U.
    Repulsion is good, smashing sound and feel is GREAT!! It feels really good when you smash. Control is good, I can place my shots where i want it to be 99% of the time.

4. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    Broke my BG80 string on ns9900, strung at 29#s, after 8 hours of playing, thru mis-hitting near the top. Restrung with the same BG80 @ 30#s, and my elbow started hurting after playing an hour. Have played for almost 4 hours now, and the elbow's not hurting anymore. Guess the tension dropped to my ideal tension of about 26-27#s. Nice racquet...giving up my AT700 and Arc10.

5. okieoutie

okieoutie Regular Member

IT
    Gosen pro 70 @ 24lbs on Sotx woven 13

BG-80 @ 24lbs (probably ~22lbs now) on Yang Yang nanosensation 60

The Pro 70 and BG 80 are about the same. Good grip - great for slice drop shots. Both are durable. But the BG80 is a bit more repulsive.

6. charlestsy

charlestsy Regular Member

Graphic
    I have strung my AT300 with BG66 at 25lb. My porblem is not solve. My smashing power is quite weak. I know I have the stenght at hitting the shuttle. Can someone recommend me what tension be done so as I can gain some power to my smashers ? thanks in advance

7. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    I think one has to have >26#s to get the most of a racquet (and string), if it can handle that. BG66 is great but very thin though...hope you have your own stringer. My ideal tension is 27#s, and I have tried tension from 21 to 32#s. It would help too if your racquet is held properly...like the face facing the target...and also focus on hitting the sweet spot...wrist action too!:eek:

8. charlestsy

Graphic
    :crying:Thank you for the advise, i have tried my friends racquet which was strung at 27lb, my experience with it is I have to use extra strenght to hit the shuttle, and that was to the far baseline. if i am using this pound for the a game, i believe i am going to sore my arm and wrist. You see i need advice on my situation and condition, i am not a newbie so i have no problem hitting the sweet spot, but you know at times, mishit do happen to most but seldom to the pro's. So at the mean time waiting for good opinion i will search within the forum too. :rolleyes:

9. wenaz

wenaz Regular Member

Software Engineer
    My MP-100 was usually strung at 23lbs. On the 2nd game after it was re-strung, the frame broke. I think the stringer screwed up (not my usual stringer since I was in a hurry that time). Then I bought Ti-10, strung at 22lbs. Surprisingly I feel much more comfortable playing at 22lbs. So 22lbs is my ideal tension for now :D

10. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    NOTICE: this thread is about the IDEAL TENSION FOR EVERYBODY, not your ideal tension...

11. wenaz

wenaz Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Chill, dude. Lots of people in this thread posted about their ideal tension. That's unavoidable, since there's no one size that fits all :D

12. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    there's no such thing as EVERYBODY's ideal tension from a person opinion. So re-notice for yourself.
    my ideal tension is around 27 at least. When I had the AT700 i got the best smash, drop, backhand clear, backhand drive, and back smash results when it's 30lb. But unfortunately I broke my racquet.
    However, when it's too lower, for me the power is not there.

and one more thing to maxphi I thought at700 it was 4U not 3U
    I might be wrong, I'll have to double check on it.

13. Xhan_

Xhan_ Regular Member

I don't know yet for me. I got an Arc10 and I stringed it to 24lbs with BG80. When I tested it, I dunno, it seems that the fake Arc10 is better at smashing and all that. Probably I have to string mine around 27lbs. I think that the ideal tension is around 23-27 lbs.

14. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Did you read the first post or are you just assuming? I notice too when people request tensions, people just throw their favourite strings and tensions out there, so that completely contradicts what you said, if you're recommending people 30lbs, which works for you only.

15. charlestsy

Graphic
    I have finally found the answer !
    Why racquet crushed when mis-hit, hit by other racquet. First poor racquet quality, second stringing pound. Made in Japan Yonex is quite recommended in quality but dont over ladden it with high tension like 28-30lb. Of course they can handle it, this is for the pro's who trained very well to handle it, they have very strong wrist and arm. 23-25lb. is recommended by most Yonex and other racquet. You think stringing at 28-30lb makes you play like LEE CHO.. WAI, think again. To be honest some feel very proud when saying they string at 30lb. Who says stringing below 25lb play worse than those who string it at 28 and above? Non-sense !

String between 28-30lb will:-
    pressure your racquet to crush when mis-hit or being hit
    make you change your string often, string will break often
    not make you play like LEE CH.. WAI or you think better

String between 23-25lb:-
    you use lesser strenght to hit the shuttle to the far base line
    your shuttle flies faster using the same strength as one who string at 30lb
    your racquet break lesser, last longer for investing in high quality racquet
    bottomline: those who use 23lb does not make you girlish, you play at 30 pound does not make superior.
    A point of my view and to share.

#335 charlestsy, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  16. mokmatthew

mokmatthew Regular Member

Absolutely agree with you!!!:D:D

I really dislike those guys who always think themselves are superior when they tell others they string their rackets with 30lbs or something..

For myself, I hold firm belief that 23lbs to 25lbs are enough for me.
    My Arc 10 is BG70pro with 23lbs
    AT900power BG70pro with 24lbs
    NS9000X BG80 with 23lbs
    and AT900Technique is NBG98 with 23lbs

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It is very difficult to say what an ideal tension is. Maybe it is better to find a suitable tension for the player, using his preferred racquet. A very important factor affecting playability, common to all players with their racquets and a variety of tensions, is the type of shuttle used. Shuttles that are of low quality, plastic shuttles, and shuttles that cannot reach a distance of 12.4-12.9 m should use lower tensions. Only using the highest quality feather shuttles will very high tensions play at their best, irrespective of racquet quality and string quality, the latter two contributing significantly less than a high quality feather shuttle.

18. mercurius

mercurius New Member

in indonesian players who join the club, use 25lbs-27lbs.

string is not a problem, but find how to hitter shuttecoks on the right timming.
    if you hit the right timming, your hitter sound must be heared good, and you don't need much power to hit back to back[loop]

remember do not need much power to hit back to back if your hit on the right timming..
    second you must find your own style...how you to enjoy hit the shuttlecocks...
    third you must learn how to more swing your racket...

dont just look lin dan smash style video and you want copy on you...is this useless..
    badminton don't need much theory, just do it.

#338 mercurius, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  19. @n9eL

@n9eL Regular Member

Play Badminton
    tension

:):):)
    i guess everyone will hv to find their own ideal tension.
    Forum/post is just provide an information, references, etc.

I'm using YY BG 80 for all my racket at:
    28lbs cross
    27lbs main

20. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

this is a tough one to answer. this is what I think:

- for general public players, I think 22-24 lbs range should be good. this will "force" them to use / learn correct technique to do nice clears, regardless how muscular they are.

- for players who have decent technique, should be 26-28 lbs. this will again "force" them to remember the use of correct technique all the time. at the mean time, start to have more "control" of the play.

- for pros, well, we all know the answers.

of course, we need to note that higher tension player doesn't really mean that he / she is always good either. remember one of the pro player uses only 24 lbs.

at the end of the day, it's like what I always tell my customers: it's an operator issue!