Playing with an arrogant player

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Nict_26, Dec 11, 2013.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Haha... nah, it's just an informal gut feeling assessment when playing with and against them in a few games. Plus also those drop in invitees are usually friends of existing player members, so they are already socially friendly to begin with.

There were a few difficult ones (eg. calling iffy line calls in their favour, serving before the receiver is ready, overly aggressive shouting when they win a point or when their opponents make a mistake... the usual non social behaviour). These ones don't get invited back.

#21 visor, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  2. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    played with this type of person last week. he said something like, don't give points to your opponent even though my opponents are beginner and woman... it meant for fun, but he wanted to finish the opponent quickly so the next players who are better than current opponents can play.

and then he criticize my gameplay like, don't do backhand (I won't do it, but since the shot aimed at my body, I can't avoid using backhand), look where is your partner..

and then when we played against better opponent.. he shut his mouth since I played much better than him. I was very pleased esp when he said "you are really good" (after I hit a very sharp drive from back court down to opponent court. it pass though right above the net)
    sometimes you just need to shut their mouth by showing that you are better than them.. talk less and do more

3. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

I was beginner 2 years ago and had my 1st social badminton then. It was unfortunate to have such person in group. After 2 years, i'm considered as intermediate-adv already. Beating him was my goal back then. It all comes down to our own attitude. How you gonna take it, or how it's gonna effect you.

For me if you are a man, man up then. Your action defines who you are. Running away isn't the best solution. If you get what i mean.

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i'm not agreeing with the person you played with, but it certainly makes sense when you're playing on a challenge court. after you've played at a certain level, when you need to go back down to play at a lower level, it's certainly not as fun. HOWEVER, it you guys were in a group of badminton FRIENDS and it's just a CASUAL game, i would considered what he did "rude".

i personally have been in both positions, one who is not so good than my opponent, and the other who is way better than my opponent. even if i play on a challenge court, my better opponents, once they see that i'm not as good, would not play as hard to prolong the rally so that it's also fun for my partner and me. and when i play with people who aren't as good as me, i generally also take it a bit easier so that the rally is also prolonged.

thank you for sharing your experience tho, it's very interesting :)

5. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    nah, it is not a challenge court (we have another court for it), it is between friends and for casual game. because there are not many people, so we only have 2 people that was not playing at that time (we have 3 courts). The opponents already played once (and twice with me and my friend), so they need to change after this with another opponents

he did criticize many people's gameplay, he is above average but not that good.. (we have many people that can play better than him in my group). he refused to play with anyone that he thinks below him (including me).

and yeah, the beginner (male) cannot do backhand or decent smash. the women cannot do decent serve.. usually it is very easy to kill it when she serve. so I made a rule for myself (and I think everyone follow the same). do not ever kill her serve since it is not fun. so usually I did a clear shot (to prolong the game and at least make it a little bit more interesting for the woman.)

she is improving, her serve is very high now, decent power in her forehand, but she is still learning on how to do backhand. what I wanted to show is that badminton is fun, not some cruel game that some above average players going around to crush newbie.

our group's average level increased a lot in the past 3 months. that beginner guy? at first, he could not even clear properly.. after being coached by one of my friend, he improved a lot, but still lack of doubles mindset

6. gundamzaku

working professional
    yea looks like you have a good attitude toward beginners which is great. in regards to that guy, he'll meet his match soon enough when he runs into people who can kill him easily, especially if you are playing in China :)

7. Nict_26

Nict_26 Regular Member

just a job
    kudos to bro avenger, i will do the same as well. rallying instead of killing it, so that all can enjoy and have fun.

the part where bro avenger partner ws telling him to kill it, it is so not right.

that is one of the worst kind of attitude on court.

i always believe in guiding beginner players so that the passion do not dies off.

partnering a beginner player is something i always do, not only it improves his/her game, your strategy/tactical play will improve as well and best of all, all have fun in scoring be it winning or losing.

been to a group where nobody wants to partner him and the other 2 opponents are like trying to get him off court. i then partner him and although we lost, we won respect by playing against those 2 jokers.

beginner players need guidance if more experienced player dont guide them who will....

just sharing..cheers..

#27 Nict_26, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  8. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Wait till you met some nuissance beginner who does not want to improve and will keep on saying its their nature playing like that.

Worst part is...... "chill bro, it's just a game. Its the way I played all these years"

9. Nict_26

Nict_26 Regular Member

just a job
    hahaha, i can understand from your point.

so far luckily have not met this type. those i met have a willingness to improve and i have some improvements in most of them.

if their reply is like what you have describe, then i will just play my game and wish them well.

at least i have done my part in guiding them, whether they want to listen, it is their choice.. :)

10. gundamzaku

working professional
    yea i guess there are two types of beginners, those who eagerly want to improve and welcome constructive criticisms, and those who just really wanna "chill". for the latter beginners, i wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole because i know my efforts will be wasted, but i do like to balance out the teams and voluntarily pair myself with a beginner if he/she is willing to learn :)

11. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    that's why in gaming term we have "newbie" and "noob"
    Newbie: knows that they are beginner and willingly to improve. IMO needs be loved by everybody since they have positive attitude toward the game / sport
    Noob: pretending to be good even he is newbie and does not want to improve, does not want to take any advice from other players. this type of player should be locked in hell

usually I try few times to convince them, but if I can't then I will not gonna bother to help them anymore (until they realise they are sucks).

12. gundamzaku

working professional

to be "locked in hell" might be a bit harsh, but i share your sentiments when it comes to people who suck but don't think they do even when they are playing with/against people who are way better.

i used to be a noob, then i learned a lesson, and now i have been converted to a newbie :)

13. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I sure do and strongly hate, noobs for their arrogance... Always they ask to play me in singles at my school and I always beat them and they're like "I wasn't trying" "it was a fluke". Then when they beat me ONCE just ONCE they start saying I beat brandon (my name) to everyone in the school because I'm the top player at the moment at my school. Geez I wish people could just .-. Be a little more nice..

14. Glenfern

Glenfern New Member

Traveling Technician
    I have recently returned to badminton, the last time I played competitively was early 80's, I was a reasonable young club player with lots of formal training. A couple of months into my return at a club something happened that shocked me.
    There is one guy who when it is his pick always chooses partner and opposition to ensure an easy win, on this occasion I was placed with a total beginner while he was with one of the ladies team, all the way through they were giggling and chatting but we were giving them a good run and the scores were quite close, he serves high to my partner and she missed it completely this was followed by a vocal "YESSSSSS!!!" from him. It seemed totally unneccasary very bad manners and stays with me each time I play him.
    I have recently been watching BWF matches on Y.T. (didn't have these a while ago!) and again feel a little uncomfortable to hear a pairing shout loudly in celebration when a server nets it, perhaps I had a sheltered upbringing.
    By the way he is the only one at the club that has done this.
    I am by the way enjoying my return, just can't run like I used to!

15. gundamzaku

working professional
    first, welcome back! always nice to hear someone coming back to badminton.

second, i guess there's two ways of looking at the situation, if you happened to play again the same guy, you can either 1. be the better man and just ignore his antics, or 2. do the same back to him as he did to you to see how he reacts. of course if you choose 1, nothing will happen and he will continue to annoy you, if you choose 2, he will either stop because it bugs him too, or he will be encouraged to do it even more(the yelling when his opponent makes a mistake). so it's hard to tell and a difficult situation.

16. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

OP - any update on how you are handling the situation? Would be interesting to know whether you managed to settle your differences.

17. Glenfern

Glenfern New Member

Traveling Technician
    Thanks, It was a while ago now and I've got over it. Mind you he still likes to pick a game that more or less ensures the win. I respond to that by showing obvious fake outrage and say something like "You wait until it's my pick I'll have you playing with ..." in a jokey manner, point made but no umbridge taken!
    As for the delight in others mistakes, that seems to have gone by the wayside too so a bit of growing up has been completed I think :)

18. Nict_26

Nict_26 Regular Member

just a job
    did played with him couple of weeks back and can see some differences, tink the captain spoke to him etc. so farsince then have not partner him, might have to wait till next month or so ...

19. Nict_26

Nict_26 Regular Member

just a job
    it is futile. still the same.....
    guess i and him does nt have de vibes for dbls...
    cos when i partner someone else, we do not face any probs...
    coverage was good....
    will try one last time to see if it works out....

20. niknkia

niknkia Regular Member

Local Government
    Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and tell the person to change their attitude or not come back.

We had someone similar but not exactly the same and it all came to a head one night and il the person won't be asked back. I also play badminton for fun and this person was my mixed partner and in the end it just wasn't worth it, he was annoying everyone.

there is competitiveness and then there is arrogance.